Texas voter ID law “will take effect immediately,” says Attorney General Greg Abbott

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:towel

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I caught some flak from friends on Facebook last year when this issue came up because I said didn't see how this was an issue.

In every other thing we do in this country from checking out library books, making purchases, creating your initial accounts for home utilities, etc. you have to produce some form of ID. So I fail to see how it is targeted racism to ask someone to produce ID before they are allowed to do something as important as casting a vote.

Then I hear, "But what about the low-income who can't afford a $15 government ID?"

Know what I say to that? Go into just about any home of a low-income family and I guarantee they have Xbox 360s, Playstations, DVD players, Jordans, etc. If they can find money to buy items like that, then they can scrape together a few bucks for an ID card. ~steps off soap box~

Cotton

Staff member
There you have it. The black man hath spoken. This is not racist.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You, sir, might be infected with white guilt. I would get that looked at if I were you.
It's true, I'm not black so I don't know if something is offensive or racist to a black person.

At least that's what someone told me when it comes to Native Americans...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I caught some flak from friends on Facebook last year when this issue came up because I said didn't see how this was an issue.

In every other thing we do in this country from checking out library books, making purchases, creating your initial accounts for home utilities, etc. you have to produce some form of ID. So I fail to see how it is targeted racism to ask someone to produce ID before they are allowed to do something as important as casting a vote.

Then I hear, "But what about the low-income who can't afford a $15 government ID?"

Know what I say to that? Go into just about any home of a low-income family and I guarantee they have Xbox 360s, Playstations, DVD players, Jordans, etc. If they can find money to buy items like that, then they can scrape together a few bucks for an ID card. ~steps off soap box~
This should be a game-ender for anybody who says it burdens minorities because they tend to be lower income.

Yeah, and voting tends to require driving to the polls too, which requires filling your gas tank with $20 bucks in gas. Gimme a break. It's the cost of living, it's nothing exhorbitant. Simple dishonesty by anyone who makes that argument.

That being said I do feel like I may have heard a more libertarian argument against voter ID laws that I gave some credence to.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If there is a better way to prevent voter fraud I'd like to hear it.
The argument everyone makes against it is always a numbers game. That voter fraud is a tiny percent, while the number of people who don't have id's and won't be able to vote is far greater. It's the equivalent to disparate impact in employment discrimination.

I don't care if voter fraud is a large problem or a tiny problem, I don't see any problem with someone having to prove who they are before they vote. To me that only makes logical sense. Of course I don't have a problem not counting people's votes who don't have a positive impact on society. If you're a welfare whore I don't think your vote should count anyway. I'm already tired of just down right dumb people voting anyway. That's because I apparently don't have a soul when it comes to this stuff.

dmo069

Banned
The argument everyone makes against it is always a numbers game. That voter fraud is a tiny percent, while the number of people who don't have id's and won't be able to vote is far greater. It's the equivalent to disparate impact in employment discrimination.

I don't care if voter fraud is a large problem or a tiny problem, I don't see any problem with someone having to prove who they are before they vote. To me that only makes logical sense. Of course I don't have a problem not counting people's votes who don't have a positive impact on society. If you're a welfare whore I don't think your vote should count anyway. I'm already tired of just down right dumb people voting anyway. That's because I apparently don't have a soul when it comes to this stuff.
Would you consider a 3/5's welfare law or some variant? :unsure

Cotton

Staff member
This should be a game-ender for anybody who says it burdens minorities because they tend to be lower income.

Yeah, and voting tends to require driving to the polls too, which requires filling your gas tank with $20 bucks in gas. Gimme a break. It's the cost of living, it's nothing exhorbitant. Simple dishonesty by anyone who makes that argument.

That being said I do feel like I may have heard a more libertarian argument against voter ID laws that I gave some credence to.
It's just yet another way that our society allows its citizens to play the victim card. It's ridiculous.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

They are making IDs for free, so the argument is totally invalid.

“Redistricting maps passed by the Legislature
:lol Anyone else see how incredibly fucking stupid it is to let the Legislature draw the redistricting maps?

I don't know what the answer is, but it isn't letting the party in power do it.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

And I'm sure there's a good chance you'll also find alcohol and/or cigarettes in the home. The last time I checked, many states require a photo ID to purchase those as well.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
:lol Anyone else see how incredibly fucking stupid it is to let the Legislature draw the redistricting maps?

I don't know what the answer is, but it isn't letting the party in power do it.
My idea for redistricting is this: A grid system; evenly spaced vertical and horizontal lines down and across each state, and each district must have at least 3 right angles unless it is situated on a coast. You can't gerrymander shit with that structure.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
My idea for redistricting is this: A grid system; evenly spaced vertical and horizontal lines down and across each state, and each district must have at least 3 right angles unless it is situated on a coast. You can't gerrymander shit with that structure.
Well, here in Texas we like to play dirty politics so that is not going to work for us.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Problem is you'd have one district with a million people and another with a thousand.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Problem is you'd have one district with a million people and another with a thousand.
I'm well aware of what the "problems" are with that strategy, but I don't consider it to be a problem.

Top Bottom