Bales: Where does Tyron Smith rank among NFL’s best left tackles?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Breaking Down the ‘Boys: Where does Tyron Smith rank among NFL’s best left tackles?

By Jonathan Bales
jonathan@thedctimes.com
9:44 am on June 17, 2013 |

Jonathan Bales is a special contributor to SportsDayDFW.com. He’s the founder of The DC Times and writes for DallasCowboys.com and the New York Times. He’s also the author of Fantasy Football for Smart People. He can be reached at jonathan@thedctimes.com.

You can follow him @TheCowboysTimes.

A few weeks ago, I posted an article from Pete Prisco that ranks the NFL’s best players at four important positions: quarterback, pass-rusher, cornerback, and left tackle. Since that time, I’ve published my own top 15 rankings for the quarterbacks, pass-rushers, and cornerbacks.

Today, I’ll turn my attention to the left tackles. As with the other positions, age will play a major role in my rankings. At just 22 years old and heading into his third NFL season, history suggests that Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith is on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowl-caliber player. Is he better than someone like Titans left tackle Michael Roos right at this moment? Probably not, but at nine years his younger, you’d probably prefer Smith long-term.

Also note that I really don’t care about how many sacks a lineman allows. That might seem ridiculous since the goal for anyone in pass protection is to keep the quarterback upright, but sacks are extremely volatile, meaning it’s almost worthless to grade an offensive lineman using the stat. I tracked Smith as allowing only three sacks in 2012, for example, but based on how often he allowed pressure, his most likely sack total was actually nine. If we were to use those three sacks to grade Smith for his 2012 play alone, he’d probably rank higher than he should. The goal when projecting players is to search for stats that are predictive of future play, however, and pressure rates are more predictive than sacks because they’re less susceptible to randomness.

Finally, quarterback play is also a factor in my rankings. I’ve used stats from Pro Football Focus on the average time each quarterback spent in the pocket prior to each pass. It should be no surprise that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning got rid of the ball quicker than any other quarterbacks in 2012, both throwing in 2.50 seconds or less, on average. Quarterbacks can really aid their linemen in sack and pressure rates; Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady allowed just one sack in 2012, for example, but he also benefited from perhaps the quickest decision-making quarterback in the NFL. Tony Romo makes a ton of plays with his legs, but he spends a lot of time in the pocket, which doesn’t help Smith’s numbers.

Below, I’ve listed my top left tackles heading into 2013. The number behind their names is their age when the 2013 season begins. I’ve listed sacks allowed and pressure rate, with the latter stat being a stronger factor in my rankings.

2013 NFL Left Tackle Rankings

1. Joe Thomas, Browns (28): 3 sacks allowed, 1.6 percent pressure rate

2. Russell Okung, Seahawks (25): 1 sack allowed, 2.7 percent pressure rate

3. Duane Brown, Texans (28): 4 sacks allowed, 2.0 percent pressure rate

4. Ryan Clady, Broncos (27): 1 sack allowed, 2.3 percent pressure rate

5. Matt Kalil, Vikings (24): 2 sacks allowed, 3.3 percent pressure rate

6. Jake Long, Rams (28): 4 sacks allowed, 2.4 percent pressure rate

7. Trent Williams, Redskins (25): 4 sacks allowed, 3.6 percent pressure rate

8. Tyron Smith, Cowboys (22): 3 sacks allowed, 6.0 percent pressure rate

9. Eugene Monroe, Jaguars (26): 5 sacks allowed, 3.2 percent pressure rate

10. Joe Staley, 49ers (29): 8 sacks allowed, 3.3 percent pressure rate

11. Jared Veldheer, Raiders (26): 5 sacks allowed, 3.6 percent pressure rate

12. Nate Solder, Patriots (25): 4 sacks allowed, 3.9 percent pressure rate

13. Andrew Whitworth, Bengals (31): 5 sacks allowed, 1.7 percent pressure rate

14. Branden Albert, Chiefs (28): 1 sack allowed, 3.0 percent pressure rate

15. Michael Roos, Titans (30): 4 sacks allowed, 2.6 percent pressure rate

Just Missed

Jason Peters, Eagles (31): 3 sacks allowed, 2.9 percent pressure rate (2011)

Rodger Saffold, Rams (25): 2 sacks allowed, 2.4 percent pressure rate

D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Jets (29): 2 sacks allowed, 3.2 percent pressure rate

Anthony Castonzo, Colts (25): 9 sacks allowed, 4.7 percent pressure rate

William Beatty, Giants (28): 3 sacks allowed, 3.9 percent pressure rate

Sam Baker, Falcons (28): 6 sacks allowed, 4.5 percent pressure rate

Jordan Gross, Panthers (33): 7 sacks allowed, 3.9 percent pressure rate

Donald Penn, Bucs (30): 5 sacks allowed, 5.3 percent pressure rate
-------------------

This guy makes no sense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This guy makes no sense.
That's what happens when people use analytics/advanced stats as their only basis for an argument or ranking. At any rate, I'm fine with Smith's progression to this point and I think he will make a Pro Bowl in the next 2 years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's what happens when people use analytics/advanced stats as their only basis for an argument or ranking. At any rate, I'm fine with Smith's progression to this point and I think he will make a Pro Bowl in the next 2 years.
I think he looked worse at LT than RT. There were times he just got bullied.

If he struggles again this upcoming season, I would not be opposed to putting him back at his natural position to replace Free and getting another LT. He just looked far more comfortable there in his rookie year.

Lotuseater

Banned
Um.....question. If smiths pressure rate is 6.0, why the hell is he even on this list? Because he's 22?

Look, Smith has talent and ability, but I haven't seen anything that makes him a 'special' player at LT yet. A second or third round tackle could give us what Smith does so far.

That said, I expect him to improve in the next couple years.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He can be special though. I'd be more than happy with a 2nd or 3rd round OT giving us what Smith does, but then I am also reminded of James Marten, Doug Free, and Robert Brewster.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He can be special though. I'd be more than happy with a 2nd or 3rd round OT giving us what Smith does, but then I am also reminded of James Marten, Doug Free, and Robert Brewster.
Yeah. You can get what Tony Romo gives us at QB from an undrafted free agent too, doesn't mean you should count on it.

Smith has been good but not great. He needs to take it to the next level and I think he will.

In either case, if an elite LT was sitting on the board, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger and move Tyron back to RT. He'll be great at either spot and I have no problem with having an elite set of tackles.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
8th best LT? LOL. Not remotely true.

This mental midget says:

Is he better than someone like Titans left tackle Michael Roos right at this moment? Probably not,

But then he ranks them:

8. Tyron Smith, Cowboys
15. Michael Roos, Titans

~flush~

Top Bottom