Cowboys rookie B.W. Webb finds a mentor in Brandon Carr: ‘It’s helping out a lot’

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys rookie B.W. Webb finds a mentor in Brandon Carr: ‘It’s helping out a lot’

By SportsDayDFW sports
websports@dallasnews.com
10:31 pm on June 15, 2013 |

By Michael Florek

B.W. Webb was a fourth-round draft pick in one of his first practices. Brandon Carr was a five-year veteran one year removed from signing a $50 million free agent contract.

But Carr went out of his way to give Webb some pointers that day. It began what has turned into a productive relationship for both players.

“Brandon Carr is like my mentor now,” said Webb, speaking at Carr’s celebrity softball game to benefit stopping domestic abuse on Saturday. “He helps me out with techniques, plays, all that. It’s helping out a lot.”

For Carr, its an opportunity to give back. When he was drafted by Kansas City in 2008, former All-Pro Patrick Surtain became his principle adviser, helping to mold him into the cornerback worthy of the big contract in 2012.

In Webb, Carr saw somebody who reminded him of himself (“Kind of quiet but with a lot of athletic ability) and somebody who had a similar path. Webb is a fourth-round pick from the FCS’s William & Mary. Carr was a fifth-round pick from Division II’s Grand Valley State.

The advice isn’t so much about on-the-field-attributes because, “You can only say so much.” Carr prefers just show everybody how maximize a practice. Instead, his biggest concern is off-the-field issues.

“My thing is to just try to keep him focused because it’s easy to lose focus with all these distractions and everything in the Dallas area and everything that’s going on being a rookie in the NFL playing for the Cowboys,” Carr said. “I’m just here to talk about football, talk about life. Whatever it is, I’m just going to be here to have a shoulder to cry on, have an ear to listen to him, and I’m always down to give him advice.

“I just want to see him get to his full potential.”

Top Bottom