Watkins : Bill Callahan - "It's the Dallas Cowboys offense"

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bill Callahan: "It's the Dallas Cowboys offense"

June, 13, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Bill Callahan, the Dallas Cowboys' new play caller, says despite working in the West Coast offense for a number of years, he can make the adjustment to the Jason Garrett offense.

"It's the Dallas Cowboys offense, it's not my offense, it's our offense," Callahan said after the last day of the veteran minicamp on Thursday/. "I think that's the main thing to understand here, like Jason has talked about, we've all mentioned it, its a collective effort across the board with the offensive staff. I'm just a guy up in the (press) box who is calling the play that there's consensus on, there's agreement on."

The last time Callahan called the offensive plays in an NFL game was the 2003 season with the Oakland Raiders. Callahan has switched from calling plays from the press box to the field. He'll call plays from the press box but could move to the field if things don't work well.

The mechanics of the playcaller has had some glitches during the organized team activities and the veteran minicamp. Callahan is confident when he calls the plays to quarterbacks coach, Wade Wilson, who then relays it to quarterback Tony Romo, things will go smoothly.

"We're all planned and prepared for (it)," Callahan said. "I'm flattered and honored, but at the same sense it's a reflection of what our staff does and how we prepare and how the game will get called. It will be a compliment to our staff and those players."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This is dumb to me, and sadly indicative of how we do things.

If the man is running the offense and calling the plays, just let him use his own damn offense.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I did not really think the offense was going to change. I mean Andy Reid is going to run his offense wherever he goes, so I think it would make sense for the scheme to be Garrett's, but implemented by Callahan.

Lotuseater

Banned
I did not really think the offense was going to change. I mean Andy Reid is going to run his offense wherever he goes, so I think it would make sense for the scheme to be Garrett's, but implemented by Callahan.
Good lord.

Its not like Garrett is running exotic plays that nobody has seen before. His offense and plays come from the same old assholes that everybody else learned plays from.

Plays are plays. I'm more concerned with Garrett's timing and what he thinks should be run and when. That's where Garrett gets a lot of things wrong.

Callahan will be a significant improvement in that area. Weither he's a good coach or bad, the man knows football and has a better feel for the ebb and flow of the individual game than Garrett does.

Callahan loves to run the ball, which is what I'm looking forward to.

junk

Not So New Member
There sure do a lot of stuff collectively. One big, happy, dysfunctional family.

Top Bottom