Romo questions validity of NFLN Top 100 list

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Romo questions validity of NFLN Top 100 list

Posted by Mike Florio on June 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT

In what could be a pre-emptive strike at the possibility his name won’t appear among the final 30 names to be unveiled in NFL Network’s 10-week space-filling extravaganza (have you heard about our Mt. Rushmore series?), Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has questioned the overall validity of a Top 100 list premised on a supposed player vote.

Romo has raised two arguments regarding the process in comments to Shan Shariff of 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. First, Romo questioned the extent to which it truly is a vote of the NFL’s player.

“Until I see one person who is a Dallas Cowboy who votes on that stuff, you know at some point I figure they would ask me, Jason Witten or Demarcus Ware to vote,” Romo said. “I think then maybe it’s a vote by the players. . . . I don’t think it matters too much.”

Romo then addressed the substantive value of having players vote, when players are exposed only to a limited slice of the NFL. Indeed, each NFL team plays only 12 other NFL teams during the regular season.

“I would have a hard time telling you who was great in the AFC last year,” Romo said. “You just go by what’s written about and talked about.”

It’s not the first time a player has scrutinized the overall value of the players-only voting. Eagles defensive end Connor Barwin has suggested that no players vote on the list at all, a contention the NFL has refuted.

Still, the league admits that only 28.3 percent of the players voted — and even then they simply listed their own personal top 20. Under Romo’s reasoning, even if 100 percent of the players listed the top 100 players, the system would be flawed by each player’s limited exposure to the league at large.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
What's that you say? 28.3 percent of the players voted? But nobody knows who they are?

~flush~

Top Bottom