Archer: Cowboys' bid to land QB thwarted again

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' bid to land QB thwarted again

June, 11, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys have proclaimed they would like to keep a No. 3 quarterback, but they didn’t do it last season and do not appear to be inclined to do so this year.

But that could have been different had the waiver wire been a little more friendly.

The Cowboys have been thwarted twice in the last few weeks in their attempts to add a more veteran backup quarterback behind Kyle Orton.

On Tuesday, Jacksonville was awarded quarterback Mike Kafka after New England cut him in favor of Tim Tebow. Late in May, the Cowboys missed out on Thaddeus Lewis, who was awarded to Detroit after he was cut by Cleveland.

Teams are awarded players off the wire based on their record from the previous season. Jacksonville finished 2-14 in 2012; Cleveland was 4-12.

The Cowboys have Nick Stephens and Dalton Williams behind Orton. Stephens has been working with the second-team offense while Tony Romo recovers from surgery to remove a cyst from his back.

Lewis started last year’s season finale for Cleveland against Pittsburgh, completing 22-of-32 passes for 204 yards with a touchdown and an interception in a 24-10 loss. Kafka played in four games in 2011 with Philadelphia with two interceptions.

As for Tebow, the Cowboys had no interest. The lack of interest had more to do with Tebow being a poor fit for the offense than any sort of circus that would have come to Valley Ranch.

Lotuseater

Banned
I'm glad Bargain bin Jerry didn't go out and try to sign Tebow. I was a little worried that he might get cute and try to get him.

I wouldn't have liked that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hope we don't stop looking. Per reports, our QBs are sucking ass and it does no good for us to have a decent WR corps that can't get decent passes thrown their way. It also has an effect making a defense look better than it really is. You can't have "steak on every plate" but if your backups suck and that's all you have at this stage, it is not good.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope we don't stop looking. Per reports, our QBs are sucking ass and it does no good for us to have a decent WR corps that can't get decent passes thrown their way. It also has an effect making a defense look better than it really is. You can't have "steak on every plate" but if your backups suck and that's all you have at this stage, it is not good.
The worst part about that is we are paying our backup QB Orton a pretty penny. We have made minimal efforts at best over the years to improve our overall QB depth chart. The only thing we seem capable of is signing some old veterans to be number 2.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The worst part about that is we are paying our backup QB Orton a pretty penny. We have made minimal efforts at best over the years to improve our overall QB depth chart. The only thing we seem capable of is signing some old veterans to be number 2.
Wha, Stephen McGee wasn't good enough for you? We're trying dammit!

Lotuseater

Banned
Hey, I'm all for the search for qb talent, as long as we aren't going down roads like Quincy Carter, jamarcus Russell(kinda worried about him too), and Tim Tebow.

Our owner makes some really weird decisions on qb's, and everytime one of these goofballs is available, I get nervous.

Top Bottom