Rear slap gets ex-NFL star C. Johnson 30 days jail

Smitty

DCC 4Life
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Former NFL star Chad Johnson was sentenced Monday to 30 days in jail for a probation violation in a domestic violence case by a judge who angrily rejected a no-jail plea deal after Johnson playfully slapped his attorney on the backside in court.

Johnson, known as Chad Ochocinco for his jersey number in Spanish during his playing days, had reached a deal with prosecutors calling for community service and counseling instead of jail. Broward County Circuit Judge Kathleen McHugh said she would tack on an additional three months' probation because Johnson had failed to meet with his probation officer during three previous months.

It was all set until Johnson, when asked by McHugh if he was satisfied with his lawyer Adam Swickle, gave the attorney a light swat on the rear — as football players routinely do to each other on the field. The courtroom erupted in laughter and at that McHugh said she wouldn't accept the deal.

"I don't know that you're taking this whole thing seriously. I just saw you slap your attorney on the backside. Is there something funny about this?" McHugh said, slapping the plea deal document down on her desk. "The whole courtroom was laughing. I'm not going to accept these plea negotiations. This isn't a joke."

Johnson, 35, tried to apologize and insisted he meant no disrespect. Johnson was on probation after pleading no contest to head-butting his then-wife, TV reality star Evelyn Lozada, during an altercation last August. She quickly filed for divorce after barely a month of marriage and Johnson, a six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver, was immediately released by the Miami Dolphins. He didn't play at all last season.

"This is your courtroom. I have no intent to make this a joke. It's not funny," Johnson told the judge "My life is in a shambles right now and I try my best to laugh and keep a smile on my face."

But McHugh, who could have given Johnson up to a year in jail, was not moved.

"It's not the first time he's behaved that way in my courtroom," she said.

Johnson then was handcuffed and hauled away to jail. Swickle declined comment on whether he would ask the judge to reduce her sentence.

Hours later, Johnson sent out a tweet on his verified Twitter account: "Love me through the good and the bad because I'm gone love you regardless ... See you in 30."

Johnson has been undergoing therapy aimed at helping people involved in domestic violence but has not signed with another NFL team. He said in court Monday he hoped that would change in the upcoming football season, but now faces another setback.

"He has suffered. He has lost everything," Swickle told the judge.

Johnson, whose best playing days were with the Cincinnati Bengals, caught 766 passes for more than 11,000 yards and 67 touchdowns during his career. He also played for the New England Patriots.

Lozada stars on VH-1's"Basketball Wives" TV show. She was previously engaged to ex-NBA star Antoine Walker, who played for the Miami Heat, Boston Celtics and other teams, and was a star on the University of Kentucky's 1996 national championship team.

..............................................................................................................

:picard

This judge is taking herself way too seriously.

If there is one thing I hate, it's judges not honoring the deals that the district attorney and the defense have worked out. Only in the most egregious circumstances should they overrule what has been bargained for between the state and the defendant. The state is the one prosecuting. If the state doesn't want the guy in jail, then what place of it is the judge to throw everything out the window?

Maybe in an instance where the DA is having some kind of egregious miscarriage of justice. Maybe where there are aggravating circumstances that the judge can't overlook.

Slapping his (male) attorney on the ass? Chad Johnson is a clown. He was acting like a clown in court. But none of that is a crime. The guy is a goofball and he got sent to jail because this judge is probably hormonal.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I agree with her...he was not taking this seriously at all. F him. He was on probation for headbutting a woman, but hey, she was probably hormonal too and had it coming.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I agree. I think it was just a move by a guy used to congratulating his teammates by slapping them on the ass.

But, I think the judge got pissed because this was a spousal situation, and all it took was a little screw up for her to throw shit on him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I agree with her...he was not taking this seriously at all. F him. He was on probation for headbutting a woman, but hey, she was probably hormonal too and had it coming.
Doesn't matter if he's "not taking it seriously."

That's no reason for the judge to throw out what the District Attorney had agreed to. Again, the State is the one saying the guy needs to be in jail, not the judge. So when the State says "We are ok with this guy not going to jail" for the judge to overrule that (which she does have the legal ability to do) just smacks of ego.

And I know for a fact that is what happens with judges with big egos all the time, whereas the more mild-mannered judges who don't take themselves too seriously would have reprimanded him and then still honored the deal the State had agreed to.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

That's no reason for the judge to throw out what the District Attorney had agreed to. Again, the State is the one saying the guy needs to be in jail, not the judge. So when the State says "We are ok with this guy not going to jail" for the judge to overrule that (which she does have the legal ability to do) just smacks of ego.

And I know for a fact that is what happens with judges with big egos all the time, whereas the more mild-mannered judges who don't take themselves too seriously would have reprimanded him and then still honored the deal the State had agreed to.
Maybe held him in contempt for the rest of the day, just to fuck up his weekend? Probably more fair than 30 days.

data

Forbes #1
Hope this doesn't give Goodell any ideas for new Excessive celebration rules.

Just be glad Ocho Cinco didn't go down on one knee.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
After watching the video I thought it was pretty petty of her. I think she was more offended that people laughed than the actual act.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Seriously, who cares? Had he not done something really stupid to begin with, he never would've landed in court to be in the position to inappropriately slap his attorney on the ass and earn 30 days in jail for it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
After watching the video I thought it was pretty petty of her. I think she was more offended that people laughed than the actual act.
I agree.

I hate to sound sexist and all, but that's why I hate when women are put in charge of shit. They're way too emotional, IMO. And they tend to have a chip on their shoulders because they're trying to prove that they're equal to men.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

There use to be a prosecuting attorney around where I work that would dismiss the case when the judge would try and do that. The judge really has nothing to decide if there is no longer a case before them.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Sure it does...according to her this was not the first time he was acting like a dipshit in her courtroom. Sometimes people have to learn the hard way. My heart does not bleed for Chad Johnson at all.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sure it does...according to her this was not the first time he was acting like a dipshit in her courtroom.
I guess I just don't like sending people to jail for goofing off.

To me, I actually don't think the judge should be allowed to overrule what the state has agreed to without a little more compelling of a reason.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Despite what you might think she clearly is able to overrule the state. It's not only the butt slap, but even on probation he was not meeting with his PO. That is not being a clown or a funny guy, that is clearly violating his probation.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Does it say what the woman who had her ass slapped said? Did she want charges pressed? Or was it just contempt of court? It could be sexual harassment, as he touched her ass on purpose. Which would be more than just "goofing off". I don't agree with it being looked at that way, but it's how the law looks at it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Does it say what the woman who had her ass slapped said? Did she want charges pressed? Or was it just contempt of court? It could be sexual harassment, as he touched her ass on purpose. Which would be more than just "goofing off". I don't agree with it being looked at that way, but it's how the law looks at it.
It was his male lawyer, so it was more of an attaboy type thing, but considering the gravity of the situation...you know, being found guilty of domestic abuse...he might want to take it a little more seriously.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
My heart doesn't bleed for 85, but that judge wanted her 15 min. of fame, or had a severe case of PMS. Sending a guy to 30 days in jail for others laughing at something he did, and as much of an attention whore as 85 is he didn't do it to get the crowd going. He didn't pat the ass and turn to the crowd for the cheers, he just did what he used to do when he had a good outcome in his profesional life.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I guess I just don't like sending people to jail for goofing off.

To me, I actually don't think the judge should be allowed to overrule what the state has agreed to without a little more compelling of a reason.
How would you handle Lohan?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I agree.

I hate to sound sexist and all, but that's why I hate when women are put in charge of shit. They're way too emotional, IMO. And they tend to have a chip on their shoulders because they're trying to prove that they're equal to men.
I don't know why they are still hopeful that there is chance that this is true.

Top Bottom