Final Game Report Cards

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just some random thoughts on some guys.

Dez, you came to play. You had an afternoon that made up for your drop in 2014. What was that, 8 catches on 8 targets? Maybe we should have looked your way a little more even, in retrospect. You seemed kinda uncoverable all day. Bring that performance every week next year and you'll be an All Pro. We need that. I feel bad for you... you tried to carry this offense with your performance and you almost did.

Terrance Williams, not bad. I think you laid to rest what I always thought was the ridiculous speculation that we might be better off with Bruce Butler in your spot. You seem like you are a playoff gamer a little bit even though you disappear in the regular season at times. You have earned my attempts to give you a second contract.

Cole Beasley and Jason Witten, you both played well. Sorry we haven't gotten you morenof these opportunities Witten. Part of me feels like we should trade you to Denver along with Romo.

Dak Prescott, a tip of my hat. I am a Romo supporter, I would have started him over you, and (while it's easy to say now), if I could go back and start him over you in week 10 or whenever it was he was healthy, Instill would, but you showed some of the reasons you are gonna remain a starting QB in this league for a long time yesterday, including bringing us back from down 18 to tie.... twice. I just wish you had made a couple different decisions yesterday, we might have won. Not placing this loss on you though. Learn and improve.

Brice Butler. It was nice knowing you. Not fair to expect much from fourth WRs I guess. You are no Geronimo Allison. That penalty may not have been your fault but your legacy here is that, and the missed deep ball in the end zone.

Zeke.... you were great as always. I think circumstantially we had to get away from thre run a bit early so I am not blaming playcalling on you only having what, 22 carries? You still got your hundred yards. Situationally there were times later we should have ran the ball, but that's for another thread. Thought I saw a little disappointment in your eyes at times. We needed more fire. Don't be a front runner.

Brandon Carr, you have earned yourself another year here. You played every game and drew all the tough assignments. You are not a #1 corner, but if we happen upon another one somewhere, you make a fine #2. As a side note, Scandrick, be glad you are under contract cause I'm not sure I am in love with your antics for the amount that you were injured this year. Need a bounce back year there, busy.

Mo Claiborne, you can kindly GTFO. I'm sorry. You were overdrafted and never had a fair shot of living up to expectations for what you really are, but man you just cannot stay healthy. I was trying to bring you back given how you played around midsession but you missing a chunk of the biggest game of your career.... I'm over it. Best of luck in your next stop. Anthony Brown has supplanted you.

David Irving, you can stay. As a backup. Pretty much everyone else on the DL, take a fucking hike. Including Tyrone Crawford and DeMarcus Lawrence.

Sean Lee. I don't know whether to apologize to you or be made at you. This is how playoff games go in Dallas. Sorry. But not enough plays by you in the pass defense either. Looking forward to seeing you next to Jaylon Smith next year.

midswat

... soon
Dez was a hero yesterday. Same with Witten. Same with Dak. Same with Elliott.

I don't know what the going rate is for #2 receivers on 2nd contracts, but I would be okay with replacing Williams. I don't like the player.

Carr can kindly go away. There isn't a single player in our secondary I 'want' to bring back next year. I realize some are under contract and will come back, but I'd take an infusion of new blood back there in the worst way.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Cant say I disagree with any of that. I really hope we focus on the DL just like we did the OL going forward because that lack of pass rush is just too glaring. I am glad we took Jaylen Smith but we just cant be doing that this year. Draft guys that can come in right away because this is our window.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Cant say I disagree with any of that. I really hope we focus on the DL just like we did the OL going forward because that lack of pass rush is just too glaring. I am glad we took Jaylen Smith but we just cant be doing that this year. Draft guys that can come in right away because this is our window.
I believe Jaylon Smith is a superior coverage LBer. That is going to be a great addition to the nickle defense. Lee I think is slowing a bit as he hasn't made many plays in the passing game this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe Jaylon Smith is a superior coverage LBer. That is going to be a great addition to the nickle defense. Lee I think is slowing a bit as he hasn't made many plays in the passing game this year.
Jaylon Smith right now is our fastest and most athletic LBer. Combine him next to Lee and his great instincts and you should have an excellent LBer duo.

We just really need some elite edge rushers. Tapper can hopefully help but we need an elite guy so bad.

midswat

... soon
Can we really say Jaylon is our fastest and most athletic LB? Or rely on him to excel in coverage?

There's still not a guarantee he'll come back from that knee injury, let alone regain his form once he does.

If its me, I go into the offseason planning as if he's not on the team and if he can/does contribute, then its gravy. Relying on him seems foolish.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can we really say Jaylon is our fastest and most athletic LB? Or rely on him to excel in coverage?

There's still not a guarantee he'll come back from that knee injury, let alone regain his form once he does.

If its me, I go into the offseason planning as if he's not on the team and if he can/does contribute, then its gravy. Relying on him seems foolish.
I'm assuming that his statements and reports are true. Jaylon said he is running a 4.5 forty already. Thus right now he is our fastest LBer. Jaylon said that he would be physically able to play today if asked to do so, thus I have faith he will play next season.

D

Deuce

Zeke.... you were great as always. I think circumstantially we had to get away from thre run a bit early so I am not blaming playcalling on you only having what, 22 carries? You still got your hundred yards. Situationally there were times later we should have ran the ball, but that's for another thread. Thought I saw a little disappointment in your eyes at times. We needed more fire. Don't be a front runner.
I don't think it's a situation of being a front runner. I think he was disappointed with how well he got going and they didn't ride him like he expected. Getting into a shootout with Rodgers is never a good idea, even if Dak had multiple drives where he was perfect. The first and 10 from the 15 followed by 3 consecutive incomplete passes in the endzone comes to mind. Grind with Zeke, getting another first down and then pound it in.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
I think good observations Schmitty. There is a good core here but there are probably only three dozen I'd care to see around again. The inability of the d to get pressure wo blitzing safeties is a death nail. The Inability to force fumbles is a pain. WR help for aging Dez and another tackle. Find a guard too if Leary bolts.

Its a good core but there's no guarantees especially with sporadic hair brained calls.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jason Garrett: F

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
The talent is there no doubt, it's the coaching that failed. They came out rusty and the coaches panicked and got pass happy, especially at the end of the half and the game.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Jaylon Smith right now is our fastest and most athletic LBer. Combine him next to Lee and his great instincts and you should have an excellent LBer duo.

We just really need some elite edge rushers. Tapper can hopefully help but we need an elite guy so bad.
The problem is do you really expect that Lee is going to come back next year and play a few season injury free? That's wishful thinking as he's only been able to accomplish it once his entire career.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Can't count on either, though. And both Smith and Lee are the same type of lean fast LB, so I'd like to see a stout, hard-nosed LB who always stays healthy added to the mix. Someone who brings a real physical presence, contributes on every play, and can even blitz in a pinch.

Of course a great pure pass rusher would be nice, but we are probably drafting 30th or 29th if New England loses to Pittsburgh.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That drop by Terrance Williams was a killer. I replace him this offseason. Fucking body-catcher.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That drop by Terrance Williams was a killer. I replace him this offseason. Fucking body-catcher.
He had a 72% catch rate this year, so I can't judge him by a single play. Hell, I think he sets up a TD if Butlers unsportsmanlike conduct doesn't happen.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He had a 72% catch rate this year, so I can't judge him by a single play. Hell, I think he sets up a TD if Butlers unsportsmanlike conduct doesn't happen.
I agree, while I'd be all for upgrading Williams if the right draft pick is available, I'm not running to create another hole to fill on this team.

Rayman

Brand New Member
I'm not running to create another hole to fill on this team.
Me either. We have bigger problems than Williams. I'd like to keep Leary, replace Free with Collins, find a better backup than Sanchez, and focus on defense.

data

Forbes #1
Help me understand your rationale. You've been going hard to the hoop all year with need more 25+ yard passes or else we have '80% offense not good enough for playoffs'.....but now you're essentially saying Terrance Williams isn't a priority.

Tell me...is our personnel good enough for you and we just need to go downfield more? Or do we need to bring on a legit deep #2 WR to replace T-Will? Or do we need a better QB?

who gives a shit about 72% catch rate of it's from nothing but dink-and-Dak?

townsend

Banned
Yeah I'd ditch Butler before T Will. Williams is a good team player, that dropped sucked, but I don't think it erases the good work he's done this year, and the home run potential he still gives the team.

Top Bottom