Archer: Jerry Jones not concerned about leaked draft board

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones not concerned about leaked draft board
June, 4, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Of the 32 teams in the NFL, only the Cowboys’ draft board has been made public, thanks to the work of bloggingtheboys.com.

Listen While 31 other teams would rather not have their player rankings divulged not only for the fans to see but also their competition, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones does not think the leaked draft board is that big of a deal, especially after the draft.

“I’m a little hard-pressed to see where the issue is at all after the draft is over,” Jones said. “We don’t put anything up there that’s particularly sensitive. Those are the opinions and the work of our scouts. The fact that there might have been a player up there a round earlier or a round later than it is on a lot of other people’s boards or opinion doesn’t impact us. I don’t see the negative aspect of that information. We won’t make it a practice of publishing it but still, I don’t think it’s an important detail.”

If the Cowboys are looking to trade for a player late in training camp, might it be a disadvantage to them that another team knows how a player was or wasn’t valued on the Cowboys’ draft board? Could there be some ill-will from some players with low grades on the board that would cause them to exert some “pay back.”

If it’s not that big of a deal, then just put the draft board out there every year.

“I didn’t follow that story very closely,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Obviously we have a draft process that we believe in. A draft board is part of that process. A lot of discussions are a part of that process to the interpretation of that draft board, and then we make our best decision. Any comment beyond that is not something that I want to get into.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If anything, Jones loves the added attention. It proved he stuck to his draft board, after the first round anyways, and put the Cowboys in the news again during the NBA playoffs.

I wonder if they change the way they film or display the board next year. Sounds like Jones might want to make it easier to read, so a more major media outlet is encouraged to "break the story".

IMO any information regarding your team's evaluations and inner workings is bad.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
“I didn’t follow that story very closely,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Obviously we have a draft process that we believe in. A draft board is part of that process. A lot of discussions are a part of that process to the interpretation of that draft board, and then we make our best decision. Any comment beyond that is not something that I want to get into.”
Jesus.

Lotuseater

Banned

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Listen While 31 other teams would rather not have their player rankings divulged not only for the fans to see but also their competition, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones does not think the leaked draft board is that big of a deal, especially after the draft.
ESPECIALLY after the draft?

Does this imply he wouldn't even care that much if it was before the draft? If it was before the draft it would be an unmitigated disaster.

If the Cowboys are looking to trade for a player late in training camp, might it be a disadvantage to them that another team knows how a player was or wasn’t valued on the Cowboys’ draft board? Could there be some ill-will from some players with low grades on the board that would cause them to exert some “pay back.”

If it’s not that big of a deal, then just put the draft board out there every year.
Bingo.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Come on...you are reaching if you think he wouldn't care if the board had got out before the draft.

Every player has a chip on their shoulder for teams that passed on them...you are looking for drama now.

data

Forbes #1
It wouldn't matter if the board got leaked before the draft because the Cowboys don't follow it anyway.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Come on...you are reaching if you think he wouldn't care if the board had got out before the draft.

Every player has a chip on their shoulder for teams that passed on them...you are looking for drama now.
Yeah, I doubt he would be real pleased about that but he doesn't seem to be very careful about guarding it either. Who is taking these pictures of him standing in front of the board that have made it to internet blogs a couple of times in the past few years anyway? He shouldn't be allowing anyone in that room that isn't a scout, coach, or member of the administration.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, I doubt he would be real pleased about that but he doesn't seem to be very careful about guarding it either. Who is taking these pictures of him standing in front of the board that have made it to internet blogs a couple of times in the past few years anyway? He shouldn't be allowing anyone in that room that isn't a scout, coach, or member of the administration.
He's the dumb shit that let it happen, so it would be insane for him to care.

Top Bottom