Is this the year David Arkin finally sees the field in the regular season

Carp

DCC 4Life
By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
rsabin@dallasnews.com
2:23 pm on June 3, 2013 | Permalink

IRVING — Jacob Rogers and Robert Brewster were busts. Among offensive linemen the Dallas Cowboys picked over the years, they were two of the worst. Yet as bad as they were, Brewster and Rogers accomplished something that guard David Arkin hasn’t: They’ve appeared in at least one NFL regular-season game.

After being selected in the fourth round in 2011 out of Missouri State, Arkin has remained on the fringes of the roster and under development. He’s the equivalent of the car in the garage that is always under a blanket, only seen on rare occasions. In Arkin’s case, his sightings have occurred during practice and training camp.

As another season is about to begin, many wonder if the third-year guard will ever see the field.

“I don’t know,” Arkin said. “I just keep my head down and keep working. I’m just going to give it 100 percent effort and however it shakes out it shakes out.”

The fact that Arkin hasn’t been trusted enough to be used on game day is worrisome given that Dallas’ offensive line was a shambolic mess at times last season especially at the interior positions. But his strength has been an issue and offensive line coach Bill Callahan believes that Arkin’s growth was stunted last season when he was forced to play center after Phil Costa and former Cowboys lineman Bill Nagy were injured last summer during training camp.

Now that Arkin is back at the right guard spot, where he has been running with the first team in Mackenzy Bernadeau’s absence during organized team activities, Callahan said he’s optimistic Arkin can take the next step in his career.

“I am very hopeful for Dave’s sake,” Callahan said. “He’s put two hard years in of good work and there’s been a lot of progress made in the weight room. His numbers, what he’s done, how he’s tested this off-season, those numbers have been elevated. I am really proud of what he’s accomplished there and now [it’s about] translating more of it to the field.”

Whether that happens seems very uncertain at this point. For Arkin, time is running out as he attempts to prove to the coaching staff he’s worthy of action and the fans that he’s not the latest Cowboys draft bust. As it stands now, Arkin is being mentioned in the same breath as Brewster and Rogers. And that’s not good.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not a good sign if his "growth" was stunted by playing a game or two at center.

I'd love to have him and Leary develop into quality starting guards but it's not likely.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a good sign if his "growth" was stunted by playing a game or two at center.

I'd love to have him and Leary develop into quality starting guards but it's not likely.
It wasn't really about playing a game or two at center. It was being forced to play guard and center throughout camp before he ever had the chance to really master one position. That would stunt any players growth. That's why I don't care about this versatility shit, put a player at a position and let him master it. The more you move a guy around the less effective he becomes in my opinion.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Arkin hasn't shown enough to stick with him. Last year was the first time he was switched back and forth so you can't really blame that on his inability to progress. He just doesn't appear to have what it takes. On any other team he would be long gone.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Arkin hasn't shown enough to stick with him. Last year was the first time he was switched back and forth so you can't really blame that on his inability to progress. He just doesn't appear to have what it takes. On any other team he would be long gone.
I'd tend to agree. Better to cut losses and churn the position rather than remain committed to a guy who just isn't strong enough.

Top Bottom