Galloway: On draft day, Jerry Jones stayed true to the board

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
On draft day, Jerry Jones stayed true to the board

Posted Saturday, Jun. 01, 2013

By Randy Galloway

rgalloway@star-telegram.com

Go back to Valley Ranch five weeks ago, and the King of the Cowboys was acting very un-Jerry-like.

Jittery, for one thing. Defensive, for another. Very defensive.

The normal Jerry is the guy who usually doesn’t allow us to see him sweat, no matter how bleak his football circumstances might be, and, gawd knows, there’s been plenty of bleak football circumstances over nearly two decades.

In this particular case, however, criticism was rolling in from all corners over the Cowboys’ latest draft.

Jerry, it seemed, was taking that criticism personally. Again, very un-Jerry-like. We watched him sweat the rip jobs over the draft. We watched him become defensive over what was being labeled a dartboard, grab-bag approach to selecting players.

Jerry was countering with a no, no, no. He was trying to tell us the Cowboys — meaning him — had made these selections by honoring the integrity of the “board.”

Instead of “going Quincy Carter” on his scouts and his coaches, Jerry wanted to convince us he was being a true football guy. He was basically following the “board” as it was laid out by the scouts and agreed upon by the coaches.

And now, evidence has surfaced that indicates — drum roll, please — Jerry was telling the truth.

Yes, the truth.

Last week, the website Blogging the Boys had information that showed the entire 2013 draft board at Valley Ranch. It’s supposed to be a team’s top-secret priority, but the same website had the same info for the 2010 draft.

Leaks?

No, it’s more about Jerry loving the camera, particularly the War Room camera during the draft, and on the Cowboys’ own website, the camera is repeatedly showing Jerry, standing in front of the draft board. For those with time on their hands, they do screen grabs, and over a period time came up with the entire draft board.

Keeping it brief, here’s how Jerry’s explanations five weeks ago matched up with the info provided by Blogging the Boys.

Overall, the Cowboys had first-round grades on only 18 players. This follows what most NFL teams were saying. It was not a strong draft for pure first-rounders.

The Cowboys traded out, of course, of No. 18 and went down to No. 31 in the first round, picking up only a third-rounder in the deal. They didn’t get enough, many said, but here’s what they did with the picks:

Taken at No. 31 in the first round was center Travis Frederick. The Cowboys had him at No. 22 on their board. He’s a board bargain, at least based on the team’s ranking.

Taken in the second round was tight end Gavin Escobar. The Cowboys had him at No. 25. A board bargain. The Cowboys got him at 47.

Taken in the third round with the 49ers pick was receiver Terrance Williams. A huge board bargain. The Cowboys had him at No. 23 and got him at 74.

The other third-round pick was safety J.J. Wilcox. The Cowboys had him at No. 50 and got him at No. 80.

All of this can be called “drafting to the board.” That’s what Jerry was attempting to tell us.

But, of course, it’s never exactly that simple.

On the Cowboys’ board, Florida defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd was No. 5. He was still there at No. 18 when the Cowboys traded out. What the heck?

The info inside Valley Ranch says the two new defensive honchos, Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli, didn’t think Floyd was a scheme fit. They nixed him.

Obviously, the incoming coaches didn’t relay that info to the scouting department, or Floyd would not have been that high on the board. It’s the job of the general manager to coordinate this stuff between the coaches and the scouts.

Jerry? Where the heck were you?

On Frederick, the Cowboys are immensely pleased with the selection, although most draft gurus had him as a second- or third-round pick. Based, however, on the board being released last week, it appears Frederick was the second offensive-line target, not the first.

Word from Valley Ranch says Justin Pugh, a tackle out of Syracuse, was the first priority, and yes, the Giants were ripped for “reaching” when they took Pugh at No. 19.

It also can’t be emphasized enough about how the wise guys from the 49ers wanted the Cowboys’ No. 18 pick to take LSU safety Eric Reid. Safety is a position of need for the Cowboys, who had Reid at No. 24 on their board.

Guys like Reid and Floyd will be interesting to watch in their careers, as will tight end Tyler Eifert (No. 15 on the Valley Ranch board), whom the Cowboys could have had if they stayed at 18.

But the first three players the Cowboys did take (Frederick, Escobar and Williams) were all strong board selections, and represented board bargains in a draft short on true first-rounders.

We await, of course, the verdict on these players.

But a defensive, jittery Jerry did tell us all this five weeks ago.

Based on the info of last week, he was being honest.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Once again, Frederick being #22 on the Cowboys board means nothing. They don't rank half the players.

I will say I would like this draft a ton better if it we had taken Warford or Winters in the 2nd.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No, he didn't. He went away from his board when he didn't draft Floyd.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, he didn't. He went away from his board when he didn't draft Floyd.
So sticking to your board means you can't ever trade down?

We may have stuck to the board but I have serious issues with our board.

Cotton

Staff member
So sticking to your board means you can't ever trade down?

We may have stuck to the board but I have serious issues with our board.
Floyd was BPA on our board. We traded away from BPA. That's swaying from your board.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Floyd was BPA on our board. We traded away from BPA. That's swaying from your board.
There will always be a BPA at every pick. Therefore trading down according to you is not staying true to your board. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Cotton

Staff member
There will always be a BPA at every pick. Therefore trading down according to you is not staying true to your board. That doesn't make any sense to me.
We had Floyd #5 on our draft board and he was available at 18. According to our board he should have been a steal at our 18th pick. Yet, even with a steal on the board we traded out. Yeah, I don't call that sticking to your board.

Carp

DCC 4Life
On the Cowboys’ board, Florida defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd was No. 5. He was still there at No. 18 when the Cowboys traded out. What the heck?

The info inside Valley Ranch says the two new defensive honchos, Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli, didn’t think Floyd was a scheme fit. They nixed him.

Obviously, the incoming coaches didn’t relay that info to the scouting department, or Floyd would not have been that high on the board. It’s the job of the general manager to coordinate this stuff between the coaches and the scouts.
This is still the most baffling to me...we clearly were not going to take him, but he was 5th on our board. Yet we find a way to keep guys like Warford completely off our board. Not to mention that the scouting department is basing their board on the type of player they are looking for, not what the coaching staff is looking for.

D

Deuce

Trading down instead of taking Floyd isn't deviating from the board. Taking Escobar over Williams in the 2nd was.

Cotton

Staff member
So, not taking the 5th ranked player at 18 isn't deviating from your board. Okay.

D

Deuce

So, not taking the 5th ranked player at 18 isn't deviating from your board. Okay.
It's not if you're trading down. One would assume trading with such a high profile player on the board that you don't have interest in should create a good trade scenario.

Had they stayed and taken Frederick or Pugh over Floyd, that's different.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Trading down instead of taking Floyd isn't deviating from the board. Taking Escobar over Williams in the 2nd was.
I guess...but the bigger issue is that we rated a player 5th who we had no intention of taking. It just skewed our board.

D

Deuce

This is still the most baffling to me...we clearly were not going to take him, but he was 5th on our board. Yet we find a way to keep guys like Warford completely off our board. Not to mention that the scouting department is basing their board on the type of player they are looking for, not what the coaching staff is looking for.
The only way I can see having him ranked that high is to gauge what kind of trade commodity they would have if he's around. If they didn't like him and didn't have him on the board, they wouldn't know what they are giving up.

Thats the best rationalization I can make.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not if you're trading down. One would assume trading with such a high profile player on the board that you don't have interest in should create a good trade scenario.

Had they stayed and taken Frederick or Pugh over Floyd, that's different.
Exactly, the idea is that if the fifth best player is available at 18 you should be able to rape a team in a trade that is desperate for that player. Unfortunately we got below market value for our pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess...but the bigger issue is that we rated a player 5th who we had no intention of taking. It just skewed our board.
I don't really understand our draft board in general. We rank 3-4 OLBers at the top of our board and don't even rank a ton of really good college players. Is it out of laziness or do they have legitimate reasons why some of those players aren't ranked. Of course if it were up to me I wouldn't take anyone off my board all together. If they are a bad person I would just knock them down a few rounds. Probably means I never draft them but you never know.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Once again, Frederick being #22 on the Cowboys board means nothing. They don't rank half the players.

I will say I would like this draft a ton better if it we had taken Warford or Winters in the 2nd.
I'll never understand why Warford wasn't on the radar unless there was some kind of character concern. He's not an athletic player, but then again neither is Frederick.

Ignoring Warford and slobbering over a piece of shit like Pugh only reiterates for me how lost the Cowboys are at OL evaluation.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't really understand our draft board in general. We rank 3-4 OLBers at the top of our board and don't even rank a ton of really good college players. Is it out of laziness or do they have legitimate reasons why some of those players aren't ranked. Of course if it were up to me I wouldn't take anyone off my board all together. If they are a bad person I would just knock them down a few rounds. Probably means I never draft them but you never know.
Our board was clearly set up for the 3-4. apparently instead of fixing it they just lazily adjusted on the fly.

Cotton

Staff member
Exactly, the idea is that if the fifth best player is available at 18 you should be able to rape a team in a trade that is desperate for that player. Unfortunately we got below market value for our pick.
And, boy, did we ever rape SF in that trade.

D

Deuce

And, boy, did we ever rape SF in that trade.
That's a separate issue. Floyd being there presented an opportunity that we couldn't capitalize on. Mostly because we (as a team and fans) overrated him. It's not like teams were falling over themselves to go up and get him. We traded with a team who took a 2nd round safety instead of him. In the end, he wasn't near the 5th best player according to other teams.

Top Bottom