Broaddus: Leaked Draft Board Tough Situation For Scouts

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Leaked Draft Board Tough Situation For Scouts

Posted 9 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

As the news broke on Thursday that the Cowboys 2013 draft board was now in the open for all to see, I couldn’t help to feel sorry and disappointed for the front office and coaches that put it together. In my years as a scout, it brought me back to how much work went into that process. Every emotion you could feel goes into that board. It’s not like a life or death situation but there are times while you are working on it, that it felt that way.

Throughout those months, you fight for what you believed in but you also had to have the ability to understand that sometimes you have to give ground to achieve what is the best for the team big picture wise. When I saw those names on that board, I knew that some of those guys in that room had done just that. As a scout, you focused so much on these players that it appeared that nothing else mattered. You put your life on hold to make sure that board is done the right way. Everything you are taught to believe, is to protect the board and the names that are on it but in a few key strokes that has all been exposed.

Was this a golden opportunity for us to see what was on the mind of Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett for this draft? You bet it was. From the looks of where they had their draft picks on the board, it appears that the draft fell in their favor and managed to take advantage of some opportunities presented to them.

I want to believe that this was an honest mistake but there is a reason why we don’t have access to all the other draft boards around the league. Nobody wants their information for all to see and evaluate. The one saving grace if there is one, that this mistake was exposed after the draft and not before. If you think that the scouts are disappointed now, just image how they would have felt if this happened before the draft. As bad things appear now, it would have been terrible then.

One day there will be a debate whether it was wise to trade away from the fifth best player on their board to add Travis Frederick and Terrence Williams. Only time will be able to answer that question for us but sadly for some people in this organization, there will be a point of reference that will tell far more than that and from my experience, I feel badly for them for that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Passing on Floyd looks dumber than ever now. The Vikings capitalized on Randy Moss and you can sense Floyd is going to be the same kind of mistake (not necessarily a HOF player).

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Floyd thing is just flatout baffling. We had a player who we thought was a bad fit in our scheme ranked 5th overall...just so fucking weird to have a guy rated that high that you have no intention of drafting.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Floyd thing is just flatout baffling. We had a player who we thought was a bad fit in our scheme ranked 5th overall...just so fucking weird to have a guy rated that high that you have no intention of drafting.
Jerry Jones thought he'd be gone and had planned to used at least one of two available trade-down scenarios. When Floyd was still there, Jones panicked and went with what he had set in his mind. That's all there is to it.

Easy enough for any of us to do and especially someone pushing 70 years old. Too bad he's our GM.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not really that baffling. It just tells me we do things wrong and are an organizational mess.

What should have happened after Ryan got fired is that Jones (snicker), Ciskowski and the defensive coaches should have got together and reconstructed the board per their specifications.

That way guys that were not "quick twitch" and have arms too short for the DC's liking would not even be on it.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Has the 'leaked board' happened to anybody else? And we've done it twice at least.

tnt

Whoa An Active DCCer
What that shows is how bad our front office actually is. There is no communication on what type of players these coaches need. It is the wild wild west out there. lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has the 'leaked board' happened to anybody else? And we've done it twice at least.
I don't think it happened at all to Dallas. I think it is a very intentional move by the organization to try and justify their draft picks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think it happened at all to Dallas. I think it is a very intentional move by the organization to try and justify their draft picks.
Our dumb GM giving interviews right in front of the draft board led to overzealous fans piecing it together. That's really there all is to it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I was about to point this out. Within the last couple of years the same thing happened. So why is this news?

Top Bottom