Hairopoulos: Drafting Romo's successor may not be a priority for Jerry Jones now

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Drafting Tony Romo's successor may not be a priority for Jerry Jones now, but Cowboys still could add depth at quarterback

By Kate Hairopoulos , Staff Writer Contact Kate Hairopoulos on Twitter: @khairopoulos

The Dallas Cowboys have invested time in vetting at least seven quarterbacks leading into the NFL draft that begins Thursday. The club has discussed improving its backup quarterback situation, which currently includes only Kellen Moore and Jameill Showers, and executive vice president Stephen Jones has said a veteran could still be added.

But with owner Jerry Jones still hopeful that Tony Romo can play another five years while mostly staying healthy and with the top two QBs in the draft in Jared Goff and Carson Wentz expected to go 1-2, how high of a priority is it for Dallas to secure Romo's successor now?

"In this draft, it's not a high one," Jones said Monday during a pre-draft news conference that largely focused on what the Cowboys would do with the No. 4 pick. "Certainly not a high enough priority to make a bad decision or a forced decision."

The Cowboys went 1-11 last season without Romo, who twice fractured his left collarbone and underwent a surgery this off-season. Known as a Mumford procedure, it shaves off a portion of the clavicle and reduces discomfort where the clavicle meets the shoulder.

Jones reinforced his concern that a quarterback drafted this year could be relegated to the bench and that Dallas wouldn't truly know what kind of player it has when his initial contract ends.

"And you have a multi-million dollar decision to make and you really haven't seen him under fire," Jones said. "That decision might deal you an awkward place 36 months down the road. I like to say in months just to remind me how quick that decision will come, rather than years."

But Jones also said that he does believe it is possible to draft a quarterback who could be an effective backup. Former Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott and Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg have been among those the Cowboys researched.

Said coach Jason Garrett: "There are some guys at the top of the draft who are certainly intriguing, but I think what's interesting to me about this is that there are guys throughout the draft that are intriguing. I think you can conceivably take a quality quarterback in each of the rounds and at all different levels off the draft."

Stephen Jones said that more quarterbacks could hit the market once teams use the draft to pick a player at the position. Rams quarterback Nick Foles has been mentioned to fit that description in reports.

"Of course, there's constant talks through out the off-season of people who want to move a quarterback and haven't moved them yet," Stephen Jones said. "We know there are those opportunities out there. For whatever the reason, we haven't been able to secure a guy we were comfortable with. I do think there are other options out there that we can add depth to where we are, as to where we sit today."

townsend

Banned
"There are some guys at the top of the draft who are certainly intriguing, but I think what's interesting to me about this is that there are guys throughout the draft that are intriguing. I think you can conceivably take a quality quarterback in each of the rounds and at all different levels off the draft."
:budd

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
"In this draft, it's not a high one," Jones said Monday during a pre-draft news conference that largely focused on what the Cowboys would do with the No. 4 pick. "Certainly not a high enough priority to make a bad decision or a forced decision."
This is correct. Dallas is not desperate like other teams. Romo is not yet done.

But we are desperate for depth. We suck there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jones reinforced his concern that a quarterback drafted this year could be relegated to the bench and that Dallas wouldn't truly know what kind of player it has when his initial contract ends.
You have to love that this literally means Jerry thinks Romo starts for the next 5 years. 41 fucking year old Romo is literally what Jerry is talking about.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
He can't stay on the field now, but yeah, let's put all our eggs in his basket for the next 4-5 years. Brilliant.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He can't stay on the field now, but yeah, let's put all our eggs in his basket for the next 4-5 years. Brilliant.
It's really rare for a QB to still be playing well at age 40. You should never count on your QB doing that. And none of that is even taking into account the fact that Romo's body is starting to fall apart already.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It's really rare for a QB to still be playing well at age 40. You should never count on your QB doing that. And none of that is even taking into account the fact that Romo's body is starting to fall apart already.
I know. He's already 36 and can't stay healthy. And he's never won more than a couple of wildcard games in the playoffs. But I guess our wagon will remain hitched to him til he's gone.

Stars

DCC 4Life
The most depressing thing about Jones' line of thinking, is that he assumes whenever Romo finally does hang it up, that Dallas will immediately be able to find a comparable replacement. From where, who knows. Maybe he thinks the next time we get a high draft pick and need a qb, that the pick will be a surefire franchise QB. Guess they're all still spoiled from lucking out with Romo being an UFA. We might go 20 years after Romo leaves without having a good quarterback. Hey but at least we won't be developing one for another team.

Blah.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The most depressing thing about Jones' line of thinking, is that he assumes whenever Romo finally does hang it up, that Dallas will immediately be able to find a comparable replacement. From where, who knows. Maybe he thinks the next time we get a high draft pick and need a qb, that the pick will be a surefire franchise QB. Guess they're all still spoiled from lucking out with Romo being an UFA. We might go 20 years after Romo leaves without having a good quarterback. Hey but at least we won't be developing one for another team.

Blah.
The way he makes it sound is that all kinds of teams are just developing QBs and losing them after 4-5 years before knowing what they have. Guess Jerry thinks he can just pluck one of those many guys.

It's like what happened to the Broncos damaged Jerry badly.

Stars

DCC 4Life
The way he makes it sound is that all kinds of teams are just developing QBs and losing them after 4-5 years before knowing what they have.
Yep. Just completely clueless as to what they have. Watch them fly away to greatness. It's laughable really.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I don't think I have it in me to watch Jerry and his band of idiots piss away another 5-10 years before they stumble on another serviceable QB.

dallen

Senior Tech
This is correct. Dallas is not desperate like other teams. Romo is not yet done.

But we are desperate for depth. We suck there.
Exactly. The price paid for the top 2 picks reek of desperation. Goff and Wentz were pretty much the only 2 players I wanted to consider at #4, but plans change. Our need for a backup QB and a long term starter haven't. There are still guys in this draft who can fulfill the first need, and have a chance to fill the second. The odds are lower, but the price might be better. If there is ever a time to use Wolf's strategy of drafting a QB every year now is the time to deploy it.

dallen

Senior Tech

Blah.
He reminds me of an entitled kid. He just assumes that since he wants a QB one will be provided. Aikman and Romo falling into his lap aren't going to do the team any favors.

Stars

DCC 4Life
He reminds me of an entitled kid. He just assumes that since he wants a QB one will be provided. Aikman and Romo falling into his lap aren't going to do the team any favors.
Exactly. Like he can't conceive actually having to put time and effort into finding a replacement. One will just be there and he'll take him. Maybe that crazy bastard will luck into one again, but it's a foolish way to assemble your team.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There is a reason that we brought in 6 QB's for visits, including all 3 that will go in the 1st in Goff, Wentz and Lynch.

I would have been willing to give up a reasonable package to move up for one of the top 2 but I can't blame them for not giving up a bounty like the Rams and Eagles did. If one of those two QB's were there at 4 I believe they would have given them very serious consideration, and if Wentz was there they probably would've taken him, perhaps Goff as well.

I also think Jerry is just starting to lose it and is generally marginalized by Stephen and the top scouts. He just says wild shit non stop and it just seems like they let him talk nonsense while generally doing their own thing.

Bringing in all of the top QB's that this draft has to offer is a pretty clear sign that they know they have to start preparing for Romo being gone.

Stars

DCC 4Life
There is a reason that we brought in 6 QB's for visits, including all 3 that will go in the 1st in Goff, Wentz and Lynch.

I would have been willing to give up a reasonable package to move up for one of the top 2 but I can't blame them for not giving up a bounty like the Rams and Eagles did. If one of those two QB's were there at 4 I believe they would have given them very serious consideration, and if Wentz was there they probably would've taken him, perhaps Goff as well.

I also think Jerry is just starting to lose it and is generally marginalized by Stephen and the top scouts. He just says wild shit non stop and it just seems like they let him talk nonsense while generally doing their own thing.

Bringing in all of the top QB's that this draft has to offer is a pretty clear sign that they know they have to start preparing for Romo being gone.
That's my hope as well. As long as they start addressing the problem in the draft, that's a huge step up from where they used to be. I don't think anyone wanted to give up that kind of bounty to get to the 1 or 2 slot, but it is indicative of QB value...right or wrong. Though I think over-valuing quarterbacks in the 2-4 rounds is just as dangerous. That's where you should be building the core of your team. (qb being part of that, of course)

I don't know where we're going with this year's draft. Pretty chaotic. I'm sure we're all going to be pissed at some point of it lol.

GShock

DCC 4Life

#shitmyownersays
#justaldavisthings

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think Jones has an understanding of the precarious nature to Romo's career but I also think He will take this season to test Romo's durability and if Romo craters again this season then he pull the plug on him. I believe it's a year to year thing now and circumstances will make the decision for Jones. He is a gambler and willing to see which way the arrow points this year.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Jones has an understanding of the precarious nature to Romo's career but I also think He will take this season to test Romo's durability and if Romo craters again this season then he pull the plug on him. I believe it's a year to year thing now and circumstances will make the decision for Jones. He is a gambler and willing to see which way the arrow points this year.
He sees how drafting other high picks at the position usually gives you an expensive bench warmer for four years.

Jimmy Garoppolo was a second round pick who might start four games his first four seasons.

When it comes time to re-sign him, New England will have to base their decision on his performance in those four games. And they're lucky to have four games. If it weren't for a court decision, they might have to make a decision to franchise him off of no games played.

Better to just draft a guy and start over from scratch.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
The one thing I will say is that Jerry spoke in terms of months yesterday when referring to Romo 3 years down the road. "36 months, I do that to remind myself how quickly that will come"

If he sticks to that line of thinking, maybe he will in fact draft a QB every year (Ron Wolf method) and hopefully hit on one between now and then

Top Bottom