Archer: Spencer Bulks up for move to DE

Carp

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas – Like DeMarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer has used the offseason to gain more weight as he moves to defensive end in the Cowboys’ switch to the 4-3 scheme.

“A strong 10,” Spencer said of how much weight he gained.

Spencer was listed at 250 pounds last season but said he played at about 253. He said he weighs about 263 pounds now.

“I changed my diet for the first couple of months,” Spencer said. “I usually don’t eat a lot of red meat, burgers. I just ate whatever I wanted to and then after that I got back to the weight room and leaned up.”

Defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin has acknowledged that Ware (262 pounds) and Spencer are slightly undersized from what he had in Tampa Bay when Simeon Rice (6-foot-5, 268 pounds) and Greg Spires (6-foot-1, 265). Indianapolis excelled in the same defense with Robert Mathis (235 pounds) playing Spencer’s left defensive end spot and Dwight Freeney (268) playing Ware’s spot on the right side.

“They pretty much preach speed,” Spencer said. “The thing is getting off and using speed and athleticism to beat blocks. But at the same time we went down in weight to be outside linebackers, so this pretty much gets us back to our ideal weight.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
These two definitely needed to bulk up a bit and shouldn't be affected negatively by it at all. It helps removing "covering WR's, TE's and utility RB's" from one's job decription.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
262 and 263 (Ware and Spencer) isn't that far off from 268 and 265 (Rice and Spires). I doubt a total of 8 pounds difference will be that big of a deal.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
262 and 263 (Ware and Spencer) isn't that far off from 268 and 265 (Rice and Spires). I doubt a total of 8 pounds difference will be that big of a deal.
Except those two also had Sapp and McFarland. Ratliff and Hatcher offer far less capable support. Fortunately Ware is better than Rice and Spencer's better than Spires. I see poorer interior defense, by a lot, than Tampa Bay had.

Top Bottom