Davison: Does Dak Prescott make more sense for Cowboys than Carson Wentz?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Does Dak Prescott make more sense for Cowboys than Carson Wentz?

By Drew Davison

ddavison@star-telegram.com

MOBILE, Ala. —

Nobody had more attention or buzz than North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz coming into Senior Bowl week.

Wentz, after all, has the chance to become the first quarterback taken in this year’s draft, and pro scouts and analysts are intrigued by his prototypical build and athletic ability.

The hype grew even more during the week with Wentz being coached by the quarterback-needy Dallas Cowboys’ staff, and owner Jerry Jones making a spur-of-the-moment decision to have a brief encounter with Wentz after Wednesday’s practice.

But the Cowboys weren’t solely focused on Wentz. They made it a point to try to meet with most players, including those on the other team.

And Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott might be a name to remember going forward. He could be a mid-round quarterback option for the Cowboys, should they spend their early-round picks on impact players who give them a better chance to “win now” with Tony Romo rather than on a developmental piece such as Wentz.

Prescott had the best showing of any quarterback in the Senior Bowl on Saturday, earning MVP honors in helping the South Team to a 27-16 victory over the North Team.

Prescott, along with the other South quarterbacks, met with the Cowboys for about an hour on Friday. Prescott said he watched film and interviewed with offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson.

“It went real well,” said Prescott, 6-foot-2, 226 pounds. “They just interviewed us, talked about ourselves and watched a little film together.

“Just tried to get to know us, all four of the [South] quarterbacks, and it was real brief.”

[I wanted to show] who I am, the person I am and the intangibles I have — the way I can lead other guys. I have fun while I’m playing this game that I love.

Prescott went 7 of 10 passing for 61 yards and a touchdown in the game. He led a two-minute scoring drive at the end of the second quarter, directing the South on an 80-yard march capped with a 5-yard TD pass to Paul McRoberts.

Prescott, who finished his college career at Mississippi State with more than 9,000 passing yards and 2,500 rushing yards, felt he had a successful week in showing NFL teams he has the ability to succeed at the next level.

“[I wanted to show] who I am, the person I am and the intangibles I have — the way I can lead other guys,” Prescott said. “I have fun while I’m playing this game that I love.”

Wentz felt he did the same, and quieted critics about playing in college football’s second tier — the FCS. He seemed to have solidified himself as a first-round talent, and the question now becomes just how high he might go.

Wentz didn’t have the performance he would have liked, however, after a solid week of practice. He was 6 of 10 passing for 50 yards, including two dropped passes, and didn’t lead a scoring drive.

“It was OK,” Wentz said. “Obviously we didn’t score any points when I was in there, so that’s the biggest thing. Kind of bummed about that, but I thought it went OK.”

In the end, every player felt they enhanced their draft stock throughout the week, but the quarterbacks were of particular interest to the Cowboys.

The organization understands it must improve the backup quarterback situation after three combined to go 1-11 with Romo sidelined last season.

But did they fall in love with Wentz? Or did this week change their mindset into possibly taking a guy such as Prescott in the middle rounds?

We had a really good group. There’s so much for a quarterback to learn in a short period of time. I thought Carson [Wentz] did a good job. I thought the other guys did too.

Coach Jason Garrett didn’t tip his hand at any point during the week, and again stuck with generalizations when talking about Wentz and the other quarterbacks in a postgame news conference.

“Well, it was fun for us to get a chance to work with all those quarterbacks,” Garrett said. “We had a really good group. There’s so much for a quarterback to learn in a short period of time. I thought Carson did a good job. I thought the other guys did too.

“[Louisiana Tech’s Jeff] Driskel, [Stanford’s Kevin] Hogan, [USC’s Cody] Kessler did a nice job. Each of those guys, we got together Monday night and we gave them a playbook and said you've got to learn it fast. Each of those guys had the right approach. I think they got better. It was fun to work with them.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get the f out of here with Prescott. That dude is career backup material. He has zero arm strength to drive the ball.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Get the f out of here with Prescott. That dude is career backup material. He has zero arm strength to drive the ball.
I laughed when one of the announcers, I think Bucky Brooks, said he was reminiscent of Cam Newton.

Well, they are both black, I guess.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:picard

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I just don't think we are "one player" away from a Super Bowl, really. Or at least not one rookie.

I mean, if this team returns to 2014, I think they are a contender as-is. Or will be if they add a couple nice pieces in free agency. Say a Lamar Miller to stabilize the running game and a DB or two. And then if the DL progresses.

But can you tell me which player in the top 10 is the one who will make a difference and give them the best shot at going over the top?

And if they don't return to 2014 form, well, then that one player isn't going to make a difference.

I just don't see the Randy Moss, Charles Woodson, or Brian Urlacher who is an All-Pro from Day 1 at the top of this draft. Those are the type of guys who can come in and revolutionize one side of the ball. Those might be worth passing on a QB in the first to give Romo a legitimate increased chance to win a ring.

But if you are just getting a "building piece" -- which don't get me wrong, is most of the time a fantastic idea -- but if you are getting a guy who will come in and have 6 sacks his rookie year, or 50 catches... well then who gives a shit? Even a Dez Bryant rookie year is not enough of a big splash in my book.

If you are getting a rookie who will take 2-3 seasons to hit Pro Bowl/All Pro (which is often the case even for top 10 studs, even guys like Tyron Smith), then in that same 2 years you could have a stud QB, and this whole "which player makes more of an immediate impact" logic is kinda bullshit.

I mean come on. Do you think Laquan Treadwell is Randy Moss? If he's not, then is his 40 catch rookie season REALLY enough of a "win now" boost to make you pass on a stud QB?

Flush that logic. The "take a player in the first round who will help you win now" approach probably won't even end up helping you win this season very much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I laughed when one of the announcers, I think Bucky Brooks, said he was reminiscent of Cam Newton.

Well, they are both black, I guess.
It's just shows a total lack of knowledge and is a sign of very lazy research. It amazes me how dumb some guys like that can be. How they get their job I have no idea. I guess a lot of the general public is too dumb to realize it. Most of them probably where thinking about how sweet it would be to get the next Cam Newton.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Flush that logic. The "take a player in the first round who will help you win now" approach probably won't even end up helping you win this season very much.
It won't.

Not as long as we keep doing what we do.

Drafting at four is an opportunity.

Either you get a shot at a generational talent or you get a shot at that draft's franchise QBs.

There is not a generational talent in this draft. This is not like 2011, which was incredibly rich in the first round with guys like Cam Newton, Von Miller, Tyron Smith, J.J. Watt, A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson or Julio Jones.

This is a pretty bad draft. Probably as bad save a few areas as the 2009 draft.

Few guys in this class will help anyone "win now".

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty much this. Joey Bosa seems to be the closest thing to elite prospect in this draft. But if he comes in and gives you 8 sacks at LE, it's basically a lateral move with our current LE. How many rookie DE's come in and light the world on fire? Ware's rookie year for example he posted 8 sacks. JJ Watt as a rookie, 5.5 sacks. Now don't get me wrong, I think Bosa with 8 sacks next year could be very helpful but it's not going to be the difference between the superbowl or not.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It won't.

Not as long as we keep doing what we do.

Drafting at four is an opportunity.

Either you get a shot at a generational talent or you get a shot at that draft's franchise QBs.

There is not a generational talent in this draft. This is not like 2011, which was incredibly rich in the first round with guys like Cam Newton, Von Miller, Tyron Smith, J.J. Watt, A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson or Julio Jones.

This is a pretty bad draft. Probably as bad save a few areas as the 2009 draft.

Few guys in this class will help anyone "win now".
I don't know if I'd say it is bad. It's just different. For example this is possibly the best DT draft I can remember in a very long time. Very strong LBer draft as well. But at other positions like WR, it's very thin. Seems like a standard RB class to me.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Pretty much this. Joey Bosa seems to be the closest thing to elite prospect in this draft. But if he comes in and gives you 8 sacks at LE, it's basically a lateral move with our current LE. How many rookie DE's come in and light the world on fire? Ware's rookie year for example he posted 8 sacks. JJ Watt as a rookie, 5.5 sacks. Now don't get me wrong, I think Bosa with 8 sacks next year could be very helpful but it's not going to be the difference between the superbowl or not.
Exactly. The guys who come in and from Day 1 pull a Zach Martin (All Pro from the first snap onwards) are rare. Yes, we just got a Zach Martin two years ago, but it was at guard. Unless you are getting that guy at pass rusher, MLB, WR, or FS, then we aren't talking about turning your middle of the pack defense into a top 5 unit overnight.

If we are looking at a waiting period of 2 years for an elite return on most successful rookies anyway, then what is the difference between that, versus having a rookie QB ride the pine for 2 years before taking over?

Dez Bryant is the perfect example.

Top 10 talent.

Rookie year 45 receptions. 2nd year (having taken over as the #1 WR full time) 63 receptions.

It wasn't till his third year he broke out with 92 catches.

And this is pretty much your classic can't miss stud talent player. You don't see much better examples of "sure fire NFL Pro Bowl WR" coming out of the draft than Bryant. His career trajectory couldn't have been more ideal without being a Randy Moss type instant Hall of Famer.

You just aren't going to get more instant impact than that 90%+ of the time.

Oh no! By passing on Treadwell I'm giving up that 45 catch rookie season while my first round stud QB in waiting sits on the bench! Dammit I just threw away a Super Bowl ring with that move! Durrr.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Bottom line is the draft targets starters for next year or the following year and depth for this year.

It always has, minus the RB and CB positions.

Randy Moss was a rare exception, and he had huge amounts of help on an offense with Cris Carter, Robert Smith, and Jake Reed.

Same goes for Zach Martin.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know if I'd say it is bad. It's just different. For example this is possibly the best DT draft I can remember in a very long time. Very strong LBer draft as well. But at other positions like WR, it's very thin. Seems like a standard RB class to me.
To me a draft is bad when there is not even one or two guys you can consider as quality top guys who can make an impact at the traditional must have positions, OT, DE, CB and QB.

It's different alright. The best pass rusher is really a left end only. The best OT in Tunsil probably does not get drafted in the top ten in most years (ala Jason Smith), the best "corner" isn't even a corner by trade and the QBs are all a bit mysterious.

I guess I am jaded and pissed off that the one draft we get a pick at four, we can't even look at a couple of guys and get excited.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
GTFO of here with retarded-ass logic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's different alright. The best pass rusher is really a left end only. The best OT in Tunsil probably does not get drafted in the top ten in most years (ala Jason Smith), the best "corner" isn't even a corner by trade and the QBs are all a bit mysterious.
In terms of top QB prospects I actually like this draft more then most years. This may not be a Luck draft but the top QBs blow away past drafts that featured guys like Gabbert. I'll take these QBs over last years crop of Marriota and Winston.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I'll take these QBs over last years crop of Marriota and Winston.
I was thinking the same thing. I think Goff and Wentz at the top compared to Mariota and Winston is relatively the same. Better options for the Cowboys offense for sure. I don't think Winston would do well in Dallas and I'm not sold on Mariota yet

Jiggyfly

Banned
In terms of top QB prospects I actually like this draft more then most years. This may not be a Luck draft but the top QBs blow away past drafts that featured guys like Gabbert. I'll take these QBs over last years crop of Marriota and Winston.
Wut?

Winston and Marriota are way better prospects than any of these guys hell even Carr would be in the running over any of thee guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wut?

Winston and Marriota are way better prospects than any of these guys hell even Carr would be in the running over any of thee guys.
Just my opinion but I'd take Goff over Winston and Marriota. He is a way more polished passer then either of those two. Wentz to me is raw like Marriota but just has way better physical tools to work with. Only time will tell but yeah, I like these two guys a lot.

As far as Carr, get out of here with that nonsense. It's always great to look at things in hindsight but Carr was the third QB taken. So if you're going to say he would be the top QB in this class you're also saying Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater would also be the second pick in this draft. Which is a joke. People had real concerns about Carr in that draft. It's why he was the fourth one taken. And it was behind a couple guys with very questionable size and arm strength. Now obviously they ended up not being a big deal in hindsight but at the time of the draft things were much different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom