Williams: Spencer hopes for a long-term deal

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Anthony Spencer hopes for a long-term deal, but if it doesn't happen, he'll do what he did last year

Defensive end Anthony Spencer believes he did enough last season to warrant a long-term deal, but if it doesn't get done, he will do what he did last year.

"I'm really not worried about it," Spencer said Tuesday on the second week of OTAs. "I come here, I work, and then I go home and relax. If it gets done, it gets done. I have the same attitude I had last year. It ended up working out for me, so I don't worry about it much."

Spencer, 29, played under the franchise tag last year. He made $8.8 million. After his first Pro Bowl and a career-high 11 sacks, the Cowboys franchised him again this year. He will make $10.6 million but hopes his agent, Jordan Woy, can work out a long-term deal before the NFL-mandated July 15 deadline.

"I want to be here for the rest of my career," Spencer said. "Hopefully we can get that done. If we can’t, then so be it."

Spencer should get something in the range of the five-year, $41 million deal that Paul Kruger signed with Cleveland. It included $20 million guaranteed.

"With the franchise tag I have right now, it’s pretty much up in the air after this season," Spencer said. "I want to be here, and that’s pretty much the bottom line."

Spencer is ready to change positions. He goes from an outside linebacker in the 3-4 where he played his first six seasons to a position he played in college. He will be a defensive end in Monte Kiffin's Tampa Two 4-3.

"I get to rush," Spencer said. "I don’t have to worry about any of the coverage stuff, formations and what’s going on in the back end. I can just focus on the ball and getting to the ball. That’s the easy part."

Spencer has added 10 pounds from where he finished last season at 252-253. He figures he'll start the season 5 pounds heavier than last season after the typical training camp weight loss.

-- Charean Williams=

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Once they can't roll his current salary into a new contract it will be too late. Won't make sense for Dallas to sign him next year, so I think he walks and that's best for the Cowboys anyways.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Once they can't roll his current salary into a new contract it will be too late. Won't make sense for Dallas to sign him next year, so I think he walks and that's best for the Cowboys anyways.
Yeah, I would think they let him walk after next year.

Too bad we will go into the 2014 draft desperately needing a starting DE. I just don't think we can afford him after next year with Bryant and Lee coming due soon.

Top Bottom