Report: Cowboys Showing Interest in Dan Campbell

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Report: Cowboys Showing Interest in Dan Campbell

The Dolphins' interim head coach played tight end for the Cowboys from 2003-2005

By Scott Crisp

It sounds like the Dallas Cowboys might be interested in bringing Dan Campbell back to Valley Ranch as a member of Jason Garrett's staff.

According to a report by the Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys are one of a few teams who have expressed interest in Campbell following his release from the Miami Dolphins. Campbell had coached the Dolphins tight ends from 2011 to this season, when he took over as interim head coach four games into the year.

The Minnesota Vikings and the San Diego Chargers are reportedly the other suitors for Campbell.

Campbell certainly has history in Dallas. He played tight end for the Cowboys from 2003-2005—where he served as a mentor to a young Jason Witten—before moving on to the Giants, where he was a teammate of current Cowboys head coach, Garrett.

"I love Dan Campbell,” Garrett said earlier in the season. "He's a tough guy and a real good friend of mine. I have great admiration and respect for him. He was an outstanding teammate. I was so excited when he got into coaching because I believed he could bring a lot to people around him. I'm not surprised one bit that he's had the success that he's had."

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Too good for a lame duck staff IMO. The Vikes OL opening should be good for him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'd love to have him on the staff. He has just the amount of attitude that is needed for this offense.

shane

DCC 4Life
Absolutely. Dude is a badass and did a serviceable job with the Dolphins considering the circumstances as head coach.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'd love this.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd be surprised if he'd be willing to come here. Any good coach with a bright future won't take a job with a lame duck staff that's likely to get shoved out the door in a year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Team motivator works for me.
That does not look good on a resume if you are looking to be a head coach down the line.

And let's be real all of that rah rah stuff does not last long especially if it's not coming from the head coach.

I have no issue bringing him in but he has to have a defined job to be effective IMO.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Didn't Campbell work with the Oline when he was an assistant in Dallas?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Didn't Campbell work with the Oline when he was an assistant in Dallas?
No, don't think so. I think he followed Sparano around after he retired as far as coaching. Never a real Dallas assistant. Was Witten's unofficial mentor though.

townsend

Banned
AHC and Oline coach would be nice. I know he had a reputation as the best blocking TE in the league. Another bonus is that he and Payton have history together if they want to keep him on after Garrett's shown the door.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'd like the hire. Maybe he can actually work with Escobar and we salvage something out of him. And I do agree the rah-rah stuff only goes so far. If clapping won championships we'd have a trophy or two by now over these last 5 years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
AHC and Oline coach would be nice. I know he had a reputation as the best blocking TE in the league. Another bonus is that he and Payton have history together if they want to keep him on after Garrett's shown the door.
I don't think he has any experience beyond TE coaching.

Well we tried the anyone can run behind this line approach, might as well go the coaching route too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interim HC after about week 10.
Not joking, that is an important quality. Hell, judged off what he did with the dumpster fire in Miami, I would probably take him over Garrett.

Top Bottom