Ex-Houston RB Sims A Supplemental Draft Possibility

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2014 NFL Draft: RB Charles Sims leaving Houston

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

May 22, 2013 7:38 pm ET

Houston senior running back Charles Sims has decided to leave the team, according to a report by Rob Sellers of Rivals.com. The reason behind his decision to leave the program isn't clear at this time.

Sims is currently ranked as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 5 senior running back prospect for the 2014 NFL Draft. Despite missing several games due to injury in 2012, he led the team in rushing last season with 851 yards on 142 carries and 11 touchdowns, adding 37 catches for 373 yards and three receiving scores. Sims battled ankle and leg injuries much of his junior season but was expected to be fully healthy for the 2013 season.

After giving serious consideration to leaving Houston after his junior season for the 2013 NFL Draft, Sims had originally planned to return to school for his senior season.

“The NFL is my ultimate goal and will still be my goal when I finish at Houston,” Sims said in January. “My family and I sat down and carefully evaluated all aspects of the decision and in the end the opportunity for one more year at Houston was the decision we felt strongly about.”

Sims recently graduated from Houston with a health degree and wouldn't be forced to sit out a year if he decides to transfer to another FBS program.

It remains speculation at this time why Sims has decided to leave the program, but if ruled ineligible for whatever reason he would have the option of entering the 2013 NFL Supplemental Draft this summer. If he decides to go that route, Sims would be eligible to play in the NFL this upcoming season. If he is selected by an NFL team, they would need to forfeit a draft pick from the corresponding round in the 2014 NFL Draft. Last season the Cleveland Browns selected wide receiver Josh Gordon in the second round of the Supplemental Draft.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
He reminds me of Joseph Randle. Nothing really jumps out at you in terms of quickness or elusiveness.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Rumors are swirling that Sims won't go into the draft after all. A transfer to TTU looks like is what will happen.

Since he graduated he can transfer and start a master degree without having to sit out.

Top Bottom