Kelly Reportedly Could End Up in Tennessee

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Kelly Reportedly Could End Up in Tennessee
Monday, Nov. 30
Ian Rapoport of NFL Network went on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia and said "to not rule out a trade" of Chip Kelly to the Titans. Rapoport added the deal could involve a first-round pick.

Kelly's tenure as head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles hasn't gone as planned thus far with a 24-19 record, one playoff appearance and no playoff wins through parts of three seasons. Because of that, there is seemingly constant talk regarding Kelly leaving Philly following the 2015 season.

While that speculation usually focuses on a potential return to the college ranks, on Nov. 3, Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio said he believes Kelly could be a fit with the Titans.

On Nov. 4, Florio outlined a potential path to Nashville for Kelly:

After the season ends for the Titans and Eagles, the Titans would be permitted to request from the Eagles permission to speak to Kelly, and to sign him to a contract. Before permission is granted, the two teams must negotiate the terms of compensation, in the event the Titans hire Kelly.

The question becomes what the Eagles would want for Kelly, and what the Titans would be willing to surrender. Much of that hinges on how committed Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie is to keeping Kelly around—and how committed the Titans would be to getting him.

Kelly's wishes will be a major factor in this. If he wants out of Philly, Lurie likely won't put up a major fight to keep him around. Especially if the Eagles, currently 3-4, don't make it to the playoffs this season.

Kelly enjoyed tremendous success at the University of Oregon with Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota as his quarterback. Tennessee, of course, selected Mariota with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

Mariota has shown some flashes of brilliance thus far, but Kelly knows how to utilize him better than anyone else.

Kelly has cycled through quarterbacks at an alarming rate in Philadelphia, with Nick Foles, Mark Sanchez and Sam Bradford all failing to firmly establish themselves as franchise signal-callers.

The Titans have plenty of deficiencies on their roster, but if Kelly believes he can recreate some Oregon magic in Tennessee, it isn't inconceivable to think he could jump ship from a team that has gone 10-6 in back-to-back seasons to a team that has been one of the NFL's worst since 2012.

dallen

Senior Tech
Chip Kelly for Marcus Mariota? :lol

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Just to put this article in perspective, I heard the radio interview with Rapaport. He came across like he had very little actual information and was essentially speculating. He also said it was unlikely since trades of this nature are rare.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
If Kelly gets "traded" to the Titans, his only real interest in that job would be because Mariota is there. It would have to be draft pick(s) in return.
That's why it would be awesome if it did happen. For both Kelly going somewhere with no mobile QB, and for the Eagles because Mariota I believe will bust.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Kelly gets "traded" to the Titans, his only real interest in that job would be because Mariota is there. It would have to be draft pick(s) in return.
Exactly. How on earth would trading Mariota to get fuckin' Kelly make sense?

I am sure he wants to go there and if the Eagles can his ass, he takes his fat piggy ass down to Tennessee.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's why it would be awesome if it did happen. For both Kelly going somewhere with no mobile QB, and for the Eagles because Mariota I believe will bust.
Mariota looks pretty decent considering he's had his head coach fired. I don't see him as a bust like Bradford.

Cotton

Staff member
Mariota looks pretty decent considering he's had his head coach fired. I don't see him as a bust like Bradford.
Not yet. You just wait. He will bust.

Cotton

Staff member
Feh.

Kid is decent and more mature than most rookies.

Hair cut bet?
Neither you nor me have much hair left. How about we make a ghey avatar bet? If he turns our great, I keep my avatar, and if he busts, you keep yours.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Neither you nor me have much hair left. How about we make a ghey avatar bet? If he turns our great, I keep my avatar, and if he busts, you keep yours.
You said "busts".

I say loser gets a bust in the chops.

Cotton

Staff member
You said "busts".

I say loser gets a bust in the chops.
Fine by me, but I highly doubt you take me up on it. No one ever does. ~flexes forearm muscles~

Cotton

Staff member
That's what I thought. My 200 fist fights back me up.
Until you tell me how many of those fights you lost, I ain't skeered.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't like Kelly, but best case scenario is he goes to Tennessee and does great. That would go so far up eagles fans asses it would come out their eyeballs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kelly just dismantled a team and turned them into shit, how the hell does he have "trade value?"

dallen

Senior Tech
Exactly. How on earth would trading Mariota to get fuckin' Kelly make sense?

I am sure he wants to go there and if the Eagles can his ass, he takes his fat piggy ass down to Tennessee.
Jesus Christ, it was just a joke

Top Bottom