Machota: Claiborne day-to-day; Byron Jones would be likely replacement at outside CB

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jon Machota

Morris Claiborne day-to-day; Byron Jones would be likely replacement at outside CB

IRVING -- Starting cornerback Morris Claiborne exited Sunday's game late in the first half with a hamstring injury. Of all the injuries the Cowboys suffered during the 10-6 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, executive vice president Stephen Jones said Monday on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM] that Claiborne's is "probably the most serious."

During his Monday press conference, head coach Jason Garrett would only say that Claiborne is day-to-day.

If he's unable to practice this week, expect rookie defensive back Byron Jones to move from free safety to outside corner, like he did during the second half Sunday.

"Byron's done such a good job for us, being so versatile back there," Garrett said. "And I think he's done a good job playing the deep safety, done a good job as the nickel. Just shows his versatility to be able to go play the outside corner. And I thought he handled himself well.

"He never shies away from an opportunity like that. He always embraces it. He's got a real poise and composure about him. He's got a lot of fight and grit to him. So even if a guy has success against him, he's going to keep coming back. He's going to keep battling. So those are all the traits you want from players."

Jones is tied for the team-lead in pass breakups with six. He's fifth on the team in tackles with 34.
---------------

Now starts the Byron Jones shuffle.

Leave his ass at one position, please. If for nothing else but his future development and our plans for April.

D

Deuce

Now starts the Byron Jones shuffle.

Leave his ass at one position, please. If for nothing else but his future development and our plans for April.
Our April plans are set. We want Jones as Safety but darnnit if our CB depth isn't where it needs to be. Hello, Jalen Ramsey.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Normally I would want Jones to only play 1 position, but he looks right now like he can handle multiple responsibilities right now.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Normally I would want Jones to only play 1 position, but he looks right now like he can handle multiple responsibilities right now.
Agreed...I want my OL focusing on one position, but Byron seems like a really smart guy who is capable of exceeding expectations anywhere in the secondary. If it comes that damn easy for him, take advantage of it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'll say this about Claiborne. I haven't seen much about him lately, but just from cursory observation I don't think he's played well the past several weeks. I look forward to the day when he's gone.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'll say this about Claiborne. I haven't seen much about him lately, but just from cursory observation I don't think he's played well the past several weeks. I look forward to the day when he's gone.
He started out the season really well. Not sure what happened to him. Maybe the first few games were just an anomaly.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In my view he has done neither good or bad. His performance this season is mediocre at best. For his draft position mediocre equates to poor.

dallen

Senior Tech
He already plays slot CB in the nickle so I don't think it is that big a deal. More worrying is that this means more playing time for JJ Wilcox

dallen

Senior Tech
I think Claiborne has been OK this year. Not what you want from a 1st round pick obviously, but he's better than he's been in the past

townsend

Banned
Claiborne has probably had nagging injuries all year, as usual. Started fresh and wore down over the season.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He already plays slot CB in the nickle so I don't think it is that big a deal. More worrying is that this means more playing time for JJ Wilcox
I think he has been better than Ok he is playing as an above average CB, he actually has consistently contested catches instead of looking completely lost.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think CB was his intended position anyway. Steven made some comments after the draft that they'd basically drafted for future cap management, which to me meant Jones takes over for Carr, Green for Free, etc.

Claiborne has obviously been better than ever this year, but he's still very grabby and I think could be called for holding or PI a lot. Plus he still hates to tackle, and I think one reason our turnovers are so low is because he's too dumb to play zone and pretty much has to play man to man, which means fewer eyes on the QB/ball.

Long story short I think Jones will be better than Claiborne maybe right away. Of course right now that means we have a black hole or two at safety, which is a problem.

Top Bottom