Moore: Staubach's daughter says Hardy 'can't be made a hero'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Staubach's daughter says Hardy 'can't be made a hero'; Cowboys need to hold him accountable

By David Moore Follow @DavidMooreDMN dmoore@dallasnews.com

Staff Writer

Published: 08 October 2015 07:50 PM

Updated: 08 October 2015 08:00 PM

Jennifer Staubach Gates, if you couldn't guess by her name, has been a passionate fan of the Cowboys since childhood. She speaks lovingly of the star and the city she represents as a member of the Dallas City Council.

But the daughter of Hall of Fame quarterback Roger Staubach will wrestle with her emotions this weekend when defensive end Greg Hardy lines up against New England.

"I've grown up a Cowboys fan, and it's hard not to continue to root for them, but there will be a lot of mixed emotions when he takes the field on Sunday," Gates said Wednesday evening as a guest on Intentional Grounding on The Ticket (KTCK-AM 1310 and FM 96.7). "It will be difficult to cheer for someone who has been accused of what he's been accused of."

Hardy was convicted on two counts of domestic abuse by a North Carolina judge in July 2014. The results were dismissed earlier this year when the accuser failed to appear in court for a jury trial and prosecutors were unable to locate her. The original conviction led to a four-game suspension under the NFL's personal conduct policy to open this season.

Gates, who chairs the city's Domestic Violence Taskforce, doesn't want to be in the position of rooting against the Cowboys because of Hardy's presence.

"If he makes an incredible tackle or makes a difference and we win the game ... I don't want to wish it doesn't happen, but we need to make sure that we don't make him the hero," Gates said. "Hopefully they're coaching him in a way that he'll be a better person. I've heard Jason Garrett say that.

"We're going to hold them accountable that they are going to make him a better man. We as a society need to stand up and say we're not going to tolerate domestic violence and we're not going to make heroes out of celebrities or athletes that engage in that kind of behavior. We can do that."

Hardy spoke publicly Tuesday for the first time since signing with the Cowboys in March. He was more deflective than reflective about a contentious legal battle and suspension that has kept him off the field since September 2014 but did allude to the beauty of Gisele Bundchen, the wife of New England quarterback Tom Brady, and said he hoped she would bring her sister and all her friends to the game this weekend.

"I thought, like so many other, why is he talking about players' wives, why is he going down that road?" Gates said.

Garrett said he has spoken to Hardy about the comments and told him to conduct himself differently.

"Well, we addressed it immediately," the Cowboys coach said Thursday. "That's not how we want to operate as an organization.

"The players and coaches in our organization understand that. We want to distinguish ourselves with our play, not with what we say. We want to define ourselves by what we do, not with what we say.

"I think Greg understands that now, and that's how we want to proceed going forward."

Hardy said the only remorse he felt was not being here for his Cowboys teammates these first four games and called the ordeal that precedes his return to the field "the most awesome period of my life" because it landed him in Dallas.

"I'm not saying that's what we all wanted to hear, but if he said the
things, it would have been OK to root for him?" asked Gates, who has no interest in fake contrition. "I think he still needs to be held accountable, and the Cowboys still need to hold him accountable.

"Words are not enough. It's about actions over time."
--------------

Held accountable for what? Making insensitive comments to poke at people with sticks up their asses?

I'd get it if the guy was convicted.

I also understand he probably bought his way out of it.

So how again is he guilty?

I also think most people don't get the reality that the "victim" has zero integrity and is well known as an addict and gold digger locally.

I am more offended he might have pissed off Brady by mentioning his wife.​

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
At least he isn't Ray Lewis

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'll give Roger all kinds of my respect. His loser family can go blow somebody.

Landry

DCC 4Life
I am so tired of all this PC crap. You can't say a f'ing thing without someone being offended. These people need to get a frigging life.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'll give Roger all kinds of my respect. His loser family can go blow somebody.
Right, I guess the writer thought someone might give a shit what this spawn might think, and why?
My thought is, who the hell is she, and why should I care what she thinks about Greg Hardy ?

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Agree on all points, Booze. Why in the hell do people think it's okay to hold something like this over his head forever? There have been players who've done far worse come back and play. For fuck's sake, it was a misdemeanor to start with. If he had a history of violence towards women, I could understand the animosity. People need to let it go.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
And what the hell does "Can't be made a hero" mean? What if he saved some puppies from a burning building? Or saved a child from being kidnapped? Could he be a hero then? Just wondering in what context this dumb broad was speaking?
I'm being facetious, but it's a stupid thing to say.

Top Bottom