PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Carl
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
We are potentially headed for a Barca, Real, Bayern and Dortmund semi Final lineup.

Could be very enjoyable.

NoDak
04-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Gay (soccer) thread.

skidadl
04-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Terrible sport.

Texas Ace
04-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Barcelona is guaranteed to be league champions.

If Messi is 100% healthy, then they should beat PSG and advance to the semifinals of the CL too.

Someone told me Barcelona were done winning major titles. :art

Simpleton
04-09-2013, 12:00 AM
I like this final 4, I really like Dortmund, hopefully they can shock everybody and win it.

Carl
04-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Bayern really are quite good.

Texas Ace
04-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Bayern really are quite good.

I knew Barcelona would lose today and I had a feeling it could get ugly.

Barcelona have struggled in 2013. Injuries, playing without a manager, and a horrendous defense have all played a part in their inconsistent play.

They were awful against Milan in the 1st leg but mustered up one more genius performance to overcome that deficit and advance. I wasn't sure which Barcelona would show up for PSG, but again, they did enough to advance.

Today, however, they faced what I believe to be the best team in Europe and the defensive lapses that have plagued them all year were punished to the max.

I'm not upset about it either. I knew Barcelona were due and I can accept losing to this excellent Bayern side.

There are only 2 prestigious titles a team can win each season - one is the domestic league title and the other is the Champion's League. We're going to win one and get to the semifinal of the other, and that to me is a pretty damn good season especially when you take into account all that Barcelona had to overcome to get this far.

Hopefully, they'll get a desperately needed CB and a winger/striker for next season and we'll be right back in the mix for more titles.

Carl
04-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Maybe I am wrong in this, but I have always thought the domestic league was the best prize and anything else was a bonus. So Barca get the credit for sure.

Having said that, you know Mourinho is a different animal; and having won La Liga last year, his focus would be elsewhere this time around.

Madrid have gotten better and better as the season has progressed. I expect them now to win the Champions League.

Texas Ace
04-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Madrid have gotten better and better as the season has progressed. I expect them now to win the Champions League.

Bayern Munich are the best team in Europe and they, not Madrid, will win the CL.

Angrymesscan
04-24-2013, 06:34 PM
The Germans are just kicking ass... Funny how you don't hear them mentioned as one of the top leagues.

I guess that is about to change.

Deuce
04-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Bundesliga is on TV quite a bit. Lots of good players in that league, though Bayern gets the elite.

Texas Ace
04-24-2013, 06:50 PM
The Germans are just kicking ass... Funny how you don't hear them mentioned as one of the top leagues.

I guess that is about to change.

The Bundesliga has been considered a top 3 league in the world for a good 5 years now, at least.

What these two teams are doing is no surprise to anyone who follows the game closely.

dallen
04-24-2013, 08:50 PM
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:anV-r_jsamsJ:hahgay.com/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#.UXh9u7Wsh8E

2233boys
04-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Unacceptable title for this thread.

Carl
04-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Madrid were dreadful. Give the Germans credit though.

Texas Ace
05-08-2013, 11:16 PM
An all German CL final, Mourinho looks to be headed back to Chelsea, and Fergie is retiring.

Lots of interesting things going on right now.

Deuce
05-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Man U names David Moyes manager. His first demand should be to bring Tim Howard along with him. Even at 34, he's still a pimp.

Texas Ace
05-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Man U names David Moyes manager. His first demand should be to bring Tim Howard along with him. Even at 34, he's still a pimp.

Howard has always been a solid GK, but I think United will be more than happy to stick with the rising David De Gea.

Besides, with a first name like that, how can he go wrong? :art

As for Moyes, he's never overseen a club of this magnitude so it's going to be interesting to see how he does. I think they went for him as opposed to a higher profile name because Ferguson has created a culture there that rewards patience and longevity, and Moyes is the type of manager who will stick around and not do the 3 or 4 year thing then leave.

Texas Ace
05-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Barcelona are your 2012-2013 La Liga champions.

Suck it, Mourinho.

:towel

Iamtdg
05-24-2013, 07:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf_puN-S5OM

Texas Ace
05-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Champion's League final tomorrow. :towel

I expect a great match, but Bayern should win and I think will win by a 2-1 score.

Mourinho's loser self is moving on, and doing so while being labeled a failure by Madrid fans. He never won a CL and he failed to dethrone Barcelona as the best team in Spain.....something Carl said would happen about 18 months ago. :laff

Speaking of Barcelona, they are on the verge of singing Neymar. :towel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks2lzOMxCKA

Carp
05-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Former U.S. national team power bottom Robbie Rogers has agreed to a deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy, making him the first active openly gay male athlete to compete in an American professional team sport.

Speaking to USA Today, which broke the news, Rogers said he first began considering a return last month after talking to a group of about 500 children at the Nike Be True LGBT Youth Forum in Portland, Ore.

"I seriously felt like a coward," he told the newspaper. "These kids are standing up for themselves and changing the world, and I'm 25, I have a platform and a voice to be a role model. How much of a coward was I to not step up to the plate?"

Rogers told The Associated Press his fears about returning to soccer were eased by the support he received from family, fans and players, including Galaxy star Landon Donovan. Rogers wrote on his blog in February that he was retiring from soccer and that he is gay. One month before coming out, Rogers had left Leeds United by mutual consent after spending more than a year in England, later saying he had been afraid of revealing his sexual orientation.

"Secrets can cause so much internal damage," Rogers wrote then on his website. "People love to preach about honesty, how honesty is so plain and simple. Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay." Rogers, who received support from several of his former U.S. teammates after announcing he is gay, had joined the Galaxy for training earlier this month.

"To be honest, I had no plans of going back to football at all and definitely not this soon," Rogers told ESPN Radio in Dallas (103.3 FM) in May. "But I was looking over some video clips that MLS sent to I think it was CNN or ABC of me just training, fooling around and just enjoying football. ... And it kind of just like [made him say], 'Oh my gosh, I miss this stuff.'

"I just need a bit more time to evaluate and to see how things play out, but I've really enjoyed myself [in Galaxy training]. It feels normal to be back. I've grown up playing soccer my whole life. I've always been on a soccer field, so I feel at home on a soccer field."

Rogers' return comes less than a month after 12-year NBA veteran Jason Collins announced he is gay, becoming the first active male athlete to come out. Collins, however, has not competed since the announcement. He is a free agent.

The Galaxy issued a statement Friday night, saying they would introduce "the club's newest player" at a news conference Saturday, without naming Rogers.

To get him, they had to trade veteran forward Mike Magee, their leading scorer this season with six goals, to the Chicago Fire, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Rogers' MLS rights were held by the Fire after they acquired them in a Feb. 4 trade with the Columbus Crew, who won the MLS Cup in 2008 with Rogers' help. But Rogers had said he was determined to play close to home if he decided to resume his career.

"I don't want to go to Chicago," Rogers, who grew up in Huntington Beach, Calif., told ESPN Radio in May. "I think if it comes down to you can only play in Chicago, then I probably won't go back. I need to do it somewhere where I'm totally 100 percent comfortable so ... I would most likely do it closest to my family. … I'm not closing the backdoor or saying no to anyone else that I've talked to but ... that would be my priority."

The Fire had formally granted Rogers permission to train with the Galaxy but had indicated they hoped to keep the former U.S. international, who has been capped 18 times and scored against Mexico in 2012 in Jurgen Klinsmann's first match in charge of the U.S. national team.

Rogers told USA Today Sports that he is aiming to make the U.S. team for the 2014 World Cup.

"I want to get past the point where I was before," he told USA Today Sports. "I want to get back to the national team. I was so close to making the World Cup in 2010, I want to be there for the next one."

Rogers, who turned 26 on Sunday, also hopes to be a role model for gay teens while playing.

"I want to come back and be that voice, be that role model," Rogers told USA Today Sports. "I want to compete on the field. I want to make it back to the national team. I want to be a role model. I have a lot of motivating factors working for me right now."

"There's a lot to be excited about. It's awesome to be part of a movement that is changing our society."

The Galaxy host the Seattle Sounders on Sunday night (ESPN2).
-------------------
I'm waiting for the first straight soccer player to come out.

Angrymesscan
05-25-2013, 09:59 PM
The Bundesliga has been considered a top 3 league in the world for a good 5 years now, at least.

What these two teams are doing is no surprise to anyone who follows the game closely.

EPL, La Liga and Calcio have been considered the top 3 leagues. Bundesliga has never been considered their equal hence the number of team that qualify to the Champions each year.

Deuce
05-25-2013, 10:04 PM
EPL, La Liga and Calcio have been considered the top 3 leagues. Bundesliga has never been considered their equal hence the number of team that qualify to the Champions each year.
Serie A used to be, but I doubt it is anymore.

Texas Ace
05-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Serie A used to be, but I doubt it is anymore.

You are correct.

The top 3 leagues are and have been for about 4 years now, EPL, La Liga, and Bundesliga.

The Italian league has really suffered in recent years in terms of overall quality, and the match fixing scandal really hurt them too.

Texas Ace
05-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Bayern Munich are the best team in Europe and they, not Madrid, will win the CL.

~Furley Sniff~

Champion's League final tomorrow. :towel

I expect a great match, but Bayern should win and I think will win by a 2-1 score.

Just call me Nastradamus. :art

Texas Ace
05-27-2013, 07:00 PM
That was a very good CL final.

I thought Dortmund were better overall for the 90 min, but Bayern just have the better individual talent and they were the difference in that game. And now they get Pep Guardiola.

This won't be the last time Bayern wins the CL in the near future.

Carl
05-27-2013, 11:12 PM
That was a very good CL final.

I thought Dortmund were better overall for the 90 min, but Bayern just have the better individual talent and they were the difference in that game. And now they get Pep Guardiola.

This won't be the last time Bayern wins the CL in the near future.

I agree. Very open, very enjoyable game. Dortmund should have taken advantage of their first 30 mins. They were outstanding. The atmosphere at Wembley really came through the screen. I watched it in a pub with 200 Germans...great day.

Deuce
06-02-2013, 05:24 PM
A day after carp admits to playing FIFA Soccer, US beat Germany in a friendly.

Take a bow, sir. You've done your country proud.

Texas Ace
06-02-2013, 08:00 PM

:lol

That was a good game from the USA. It was nice to see Jozy finally show some of the same form for the NT that he shows over in Europe, and Dempsey was his usual self.

Much needed win after recent struggles.

Carp
06-02-2013, 08:23 PM

:hattip

Texas Ace
06-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Big time, much needed win tonight for the US.

Just when it looked like they blew it in the 89th min, they come right and pull out the win with a clutch goal.

Well done.

Texas Ace
06-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Another win for the US last night and Jozy keeps on scoring. He and Dempsey could be deadly together.

Carp
06-12-2013, 11:36 AM
I started the momentum with this...so much so that I may get FIFA 13 now instead of the used copy of 12 I bought.

Texas Ace
06-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I started the momentum with this...so much so that I may get FIFA 13 now instead of the used copy of 12 I bought.

If the US win the Gold Cup here in a few weeks, I'll get you a copy myself. :lol

Texas Ace
06-19-2013, 12:26 AM
USA wins again. :towel

1-0 over Honduras.

Wanna guess who scored?

Jody does it again. :fistpump

Carl
06-27-2013, 03:22 AM
I have been enjoying the Conf Cup, two potentially good games left. And lots of activity transfer wise and managerial wise. Isco is a great pickup for Real.

boozeman
07-08-2013, 05:13 PM
More proof this is teh Debil's sport....

Soccer referee beheaded after stabbing player to death in Brazil

By Cindy Boren, Published: July 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Angry spectators turned unimaginably violent recently, running onto a soccer field in Brazil and stoning to death and dismembering a referee who had stabbed a player to death.

The Public Safety Department of the state of Maranhao said in a statement (via the Associated Press) that, when referee Otavio da Silva expelled Josenir dos Santos Abreu, whose age is listed as either 30 or 31, from a game last weekend, the two men fought. Silva, 20, took out a knife and stabbed Abreu, who died as he was being taken to a hospital.

Friends and relatives of Abreu, the statement said, “rushed into the field, stoned the referee to death and quartered his body.” Local media reported (via Fox Soccer) that he also had been decapitated, with his head was placed on a stake in the middle of the field. The scene was captured by cellphone photos and video, which haven’t been authenticated.

One suspect, Luis Moraes Souza, is under arrest with police seeking two others. has been arrested for the crime, and authorities are searching for two more. “Reports of witnesses have indicated some people that were in place at the time of the fact,” Valter Costa, chief of police in the town of Santa Ines in Maranhão said in a statement (via Fox Soccer). “We will identify and hold accountable all those involved. A crime will never justify another. Actions like this do not collaborate with the legality of a state law.”

The incident comes as Brazilian officials are preparing for World Cup in 11 months and the Olympics in 2016.

Texas Ace
07-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Like you wouldn't have stoned the ref who missed the P.I. call on Deion against Irvin in the 94 NFCC.

:unsure

Carl
07-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Champions League is going to be very competitive this year. Looking forward.

Texas Ace
07-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Dude, since Carp started playing, the US had yet to lose. They are on a 10 game winning streak and play in the Gold Cup final tomorrow.

Carp, don't stop playing FIFA. :art

Texas Ace
07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
USA wins the Gold Cup!

Carp
07-28-2013, 09:26 PM
You're welcome America.

Simpleton
08-01-2013, 12:53 PM
The national team has been killing it without Donovan, add him to the mix and with a little luck we could make a bit of noise in the World Cup next year. Of course alot of advancing in the World Cup is the luck of the draw so you never know what could happen but from a personnel standpoint we have a very good goalie, a strong midfield and with Altidore's improvement, Donovan's return and Dempsey we have solid attacking options.

I'm still not really confident in the backline but Beasley has been a revelation and we have some young CB's who could be very good if they can grow over the next year.

Texas Ace
08-01-2013, 01:24 PM
The national team has been killing it without Donovan, add him to the mix and with a little luck we could make a bit of noise in the World Cup next year. Of course alot of advancing in the World Cup is the luck of the draw so you never know what could happen but from a personnel standpoint we have a very good goalie, a strong midfield and with Altidore's improvement, Donovan's return and Dempsey we have solid attacking options.

I'm still not really confident in the backline but Beasley has been a revelation and we have some young CB's who could be very good if they can grow over the next year.

Donovan is playing crazy right now.

If he continues to play like that behind Dempsey and Jozy, we could have our most dangerous team of all time.

Beasley blossoming at RB is something I never would have imagined, so props to Klinnsman for seeing something in him to play that spot.

Simpleton
08-04-2013, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8#at=24

Texas Ace
08-04-2013, 02:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8#at=24

That was good.

Iamtdg
08-04-2013, 02:14 PM

Chris, you gotta get in there to get three points!

Simpleton
08-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Ties and no playoffs, why even do this?

Iamtdg
08-07-2013, 03:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1v4ouHfz5M

Texas Ace
08-14-2013, 04:00 PM
US down 2-0 to Bosnia on the road and now tied at 2-2 thanks to Jozy setting the record for most consecutive games scored for the USNT.

5 straight for Altidore.

Texas Ace
08-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Jozy does it again!!!!

Holy shat!

What a fricking goal. This could be our first real star in the making.

Texas Ace
08-14-2013, 04:26 PM
And he does it again!!! :lol :towel

A fricking 2nd half hat trick!

Deuce
08-14-2013, 04:40 PM
I think what we're seeing is a redux of the '57 Brazilian national team. And yes, I'm now expecting back to back World Cup titles.

Simpleton
08-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Bosnia is a very solid team, impressive win on the road considering we didn't have our full squad and were integrating first-time guys like Brooks and Johannson. I really liked what I saw out of Johannson, had a nice touch and looked very dangerous in the box.

The team as a whole has really bought into Klinsman's style and they look excellent, I'm guessing the team we'll see in Brazil will be the best USA team ever fielded at a World Cup. Now, that doesn't guarantee results because alot of the World Cup is getting lucky with the draw but I'm pretty confident in saying this will be the best team we have ever put out.

Texas Ace
08-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Bosnia is a very solid team, impressive win on the road considering we didn't have our full squad and were integrating first-time guys like Brooks and Johannson. I really liked what I saw out of Johannson, had a nice touch and looked very dangerous in the box.

The team as a whole has really bought into Klinsman's style and they look excellent, I'm guessing the team we'll see in Brazil will be the best USA team ever fielded at a World Cup. Now, that doesn't guarantee results because alot of the World Cup is getting lucky with the draw but I'm pretty confident in saying this will be the best team we have ever put out.

Agreed.

Johannson looked very nimble. That's the type of player that we haven't produced much of in our history.

And I too think that we're currently constructing the best team we've ever had.

Texas Ace
10-15-2013, 11:28 PM
I never thought I'd ever see the day where the US would help Mexico get in to a World Cup.

Mexico was literally 2 minutes away from being eliminated from the World Cup altogether, but the US, with absolutely nothing to play for, scored 2 goals in stoppage time at Panama to send Mexico to the playoff vs New Zealand.

I'm actually mad at the US for doing this. :mad

Simpleton
10-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Yea it sucks but we also kind of just made Mexico our bitches, and I think there's a decent shot New Zealand beats them.

Angrymesscan
10-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I never thought I'd ever see the day where the US would help Mexico get in to a World Cup.

Mexico was literally 2 minutes away from being eliminated from the World Cup altogether, but the US, with absolutely nothing to play for, scored 2 goals in stoppage time at Panama to send Mexico to the playoff vs New Zealand.

I'm actually mad at the US for doing this. :mad

Some Salvadorean inferiority complex showing through there...?

Yea it sucks but we also kind of just made Mexico our bitches, and I think there's a decent shot New Zealand beats them.

I put the odds 65-35 in favor of NZ... :picard

Texas Ace
10-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Some Salvadorean inferiority complex showing through there...?

Not at all....we suck and I know that, but it would nice to have a World Cup without Mexico because as someone who prefers Spanish language programming when it comes to soccer, I would like to know what it's like to not watch nothing but Mexican coverage with stupid interviews and features about what the Mexican NT likes to eat on the road or what the fans in some bar think is going to happen.

There are other Latin countries that participate in this event and it would be nice to see them get some coverage too.

Deuce
10-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Not at all....we suck and I know that, but it would nice to have a World Cup without Mexico because as someone who prefers Spanish language programming when it comes to soccer, I would like to know what it's like to not watch nothing but Mexican coverage with stupid interviews and features about what the Mexican NT likes to eat on the road or what the fans in some bar think is going to happen.

There are other Latin countries that participate in this event and it would be nice to see them get some coverage too.

All you'll get is Brazil coverage then.

Texas Ace
10-16-2013, 10:37 AM
All you'll get is Brazil coverage then.

Fine with me.

At least that coverage would go to an elite team that actually has a chance to win a WC. :art

Simpleton
10-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Julian Green is one of the best youth players in the Bayern Munich system and is getting called up for our November friendlies, Thomas Mueller had 16 goals in 35 games for the youth team and I think this guy has like 10 in 12 games or something.

Texas Ace
10-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Barcelona win the clasico!

Suck it, Madrid.

Rev
10-26-2013, 07:23 PM
I think Smitty had the wrong thread that was full of :gayflag

Simpleton
10-26-2013, 07:48 PM
That's funny man, soccer is gay, unique observation.

Simpleton
11-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Greece came to stunt.

Texas Ace
11-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Greece came to stunt.

Very convincing win.

Carl
12-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Thoughts on the US WC draw...tough one I think.

Texas Ace
12-07-2013, 03:18 AM
Terrible draw for us.

No way we get out of that group.

Carl
01-05-2014, 05:36 AM
RIP Eusebio...only 71...sad times this new year.

Carl
01-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Some very interesting soccer ESPN 30 for 30's planned for later in the year:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/01/espn-announces-new-film-series-30-30-soccer-stories-surrounding-2014-fifa-world-cup-espn/

Texas Ace
01-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Some very interesting soccer ESPN 30 for 30's planned for later in the year:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/01/espn-announces-new-film-series-30-30-soccer-stories-surrounding-2014-fifa-world-cup-espn/

Those are all going to be great.

Can't wait.

NoDak
01-12-2014, 07:16 PM
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/rsmoe/1524936_433459546783502_1552493491_n_zps7bbbdccf.j pg

Texas Ace
02-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Chelsea are in 1st place after Arsenal got thrashed at Liverpool and City failed to win at Cardiff.

Damn, I really don't want him celebrating an EPL title this season.

Carl
02-10-2014, 03:13 AM
Chelsea are in 1st place after Arsenal got thrashed at Liverpool and City failed to win at Cardiff.

I know, but the NBC coverage of the EPL, is amazing. I am just enjoying it. And, with no other enjoyable American sports right now, I can't wait for the 16 round of the Champions League. I have a little Italian restaurant that I watch CL, good food, good company...

Simpleton
02-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Why not?

It'd greatly amuse me to see Chelsea win it in his first year back.

Texas Ace
02-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Why not?

It'd greatly amuse me to see Chelsea win it in his first year back.

I can't stand Mourinho.

Hell of a manager, but a real classless, whiny, piece of shit.

I hope City get back on track. They need Aguero and Fernandinho back ASAP.

Texas Ace
02-10-2014, 10:18 AM
I know, but the NBC coverage of the EPL, is amazing. I am just enjoying it. And, with no other enjoyable American sports right now, I can't wait for the 16 round of the Champions League. I have a little Italian restaurant that I watch CL, good food, good company...

Yes, NBC's coverage has been great, especially if you have DirecTv. Every single EPL game is shown live every weekend at no extra charge.

Arsenal have really looked bad facing the top 4 teams recently.

Man City with a 6-3 win and now Liverpool destroys them 5-1.

Carl
02-15-2014, 12:31 AM
I can't stand Mourinho.

Hell of a manager, but a real classless, whiny, piece of shit.

I hope City get back on track. They need Aguero and Fernandinho back ASAP.

This short clip does show why a lot of people agree with you about Jose. Personally I find him amusing, no one else really speaks like this...Jose on Arsene Wenger today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcALdEg9M3s

Simpleton
02-15-2014, 01:11 AM
Wenger said he was afraid of failure so this seems like a fair response.

Texas Ace
02-15-2014, 02:47 PM
City completely outclassing Chelsea in this FA Cup clash.

Silva was outstanding and City are very happy to have Nasri back who has been brilliant in the 10 or so min he has played.

Texas Ace
02-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Mourinho gets completely outclassed just 24 hours or so after he calls Wenger a specialist in failure.

Eat shit, Mourinho. :laff

Texas Ace
02-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Big win for Barcelona at City.

Best performance from them against a big club like that in a while.

Vincent Kompany was outstanding. MOTM as far as I'm concerned.

Carl
02-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Big win for Barcelona at City.

Best performance from them against a big club like that in a while.

Vincent Kompany was outstanding. MOTM as far as I'm concerned.

That was a big win for Barcelona. Kompany and Silva were very good for City, but they are really missing Aguero. The penalty and red card obviously changed the game, but the Ref got it correct. It was a penalty.

Texas Ace
02-18-2014, 11:38 PM
That was a big win for Barcelona. Kompany and Silva were very good for City, but they are really missing Aguero. The penalty and red card obviously changed the game, but the Ref got it correct. It was a penalty.

I'm a big Pellegrini fan, but he made some mistakes today.

First, he showed Barcelona too much respect. While they are still a great team with tons of talent, they aren't the team that they were 2 years ago that dissected the best clubs in the world and made them look like 2nd division teams. This Barcelona team can be had and City have all the necessary talent in midfield and up front to play openly against anyone and make them pay. To play back and let Barcelona have all the possession in the 1st half was completely unnecessary and it allowed that game to remain one of those where a mistake can change everything, and that is exactly what happened.

Second, he played DeMichelis who is awful. When I saw him in the starting lineup I immediately thought that at some point in the game, he would make a mistake and that's exactly what he did. I don't know why Pellegrini continues to play this guy who is awful. Lescott should be playing in his place.

Finally, while I don't expect City to beat Barcelona in the Nou Camp, especially down 0-2, I do think it's going to be a very good game where City will score twice. Pellegrini will play the way he should have today plus there will be 3 key changes in personnel:

Nasri will start over Navas, Lescott over DeMichelis, and Kun Aguero will be back. I expect a 2-2 draw or maybe a 3-2 Barcelona win, but the 0-2 hole will be too big to climb out of.

It's a shame too, because I've taken a liking to this City team, but it looks like it's the end of the road for them in the CL.

1bigfan13
02-18-2014, 11:54 PM
:yawnee

Carl
02-19-2014, 05:05 PM
I really think they need to look at this penalty and a red card rule. It's too much of a punishment. The reason for the red is because you are denying a goal scoring opportunity, then they award a penalty which is a goal scoring opportunity.

Off the top of my head, I'd make let the Captain of the fouled team choose either a penalty or a red card. If he chooses a penalty, the player gets a yellow not a red. Just a thought.

Texas Ace
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
I really think they need to look at this penalty and a red card rule. It's too much of a punishment. The reason for the red is because you are denying a goal scoring opportunity, then they award a penalty which is a goal scoring opportunity.

Off the top of my head, I'd make let the Captain of the fouled team choose either a penalty or a red card. If he chooses a penalty, the player gets a yellow not a red. Just a thought.

I agree 100%.

I said the same thing in a soccer forum I frequent. The keeper is almost always going to be the last man, so that rule shouldn't always apply to him unless the foul is a blatant attempt to keep the attacker from scoring and nothing else. On top of that, I'm not sure Robben gets to that ball so I don't agree that it was a clear scoring opportunity.

Texas Ace
03-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Carl, Simpleton - Big loss for Chelsea today.

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but it's City's title to lose now.

6 points down with 3 games to makeup, and no CL games to warrant their attention any longer.

Knowing Mourinho, he'll want to try and put his best foot forward in both competitions, but when it comes down to it, he'll always choose the CL and I can't blame him for that. For that reason, I could even see Chelsea falling to 3rd place if they get further into the CL and Liverpool continue their good run of play.

Carl
03-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Carl, Simpleton - Big loss for Chelsea today.

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but it's City's title to lose now.

6 points down with 3 games to makeup, and no CL games to warrant their attention any longer.

Knowing Mourinho, he'll want to try and put his best foot forward in both competitions, but when it comes down to it, he'll always choose the CL and I can't blame him for that. For that reason, I could even see Chelsea falling to 3rd place if they get further into the CL and Liverpool continue their good run of play.

Very surprising loss by Chelsea today, I thought they would keep just grinding out results. They are in bad need of a striker. That being said, I would still prefer the points over the games in hand, so, gun to head, I still give an ever so slight edge to Chelsea.

Simpleton
03-16-2014, 01:51 PM
They went down to 10 on a questionable 2nd yellow and Mourinho has never won at Villa for whatever reason, so it's not a complete shocker. It'll be Chelsea or Man City, I don't really care which of them wins as long as it's not Liverpool or Man U, which it obviously won't be.

Texas Ace
03-16-2014, 02:09 PM
They went down to 10 on a questionable 2nd yellow and Mourinho has never won at Villa for whatever reason, so it's not a complete shocker. It'll be Chelsea or Man City, I don't really care which of them wins as long as it's not Liverpool or Man U, which it obviously won't be.

I think Liverpool definitely has a shot at it.

They're a confident group right now and The Sturridge/Suarez combination is lethal.

Also, Messi became Barcelona's all time leading scorer today and he's just 4 goals away from the being the all time leading scorer in the CL, and he's only 27.

Simpleton
03-16-2014, 02:13 PM
I think Liverpool definitely has a shot at it.

They're a confident group right now and The Sturridge/Suarez combination is lethal.

Also, Messi became Barcelona's all time leading scorer today and he's just 4 goals away from the being the all time leading scorer in the CL, and he's only 27.

I meant it obviously won't be Man U, I think it's unlikely Liverpool takes it as well but it's much more likely.

Carl
03-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Julian Green has reportedly decided to play for the US. If true, this is potentially very big for Team USA. He must have been given some promises of his inclusion in the world cup squad.

Simpleton
03-18-2014, 06:18 PM
That is big and I would gladly give him a spot on the World Cup team if it means locking him up for the next 15 years.

Texas Ace
03-23-2014, 06:14 PM
What a performance from Andres Iniesta and Leo Messi in the biggest game of the year for Barcelona. :towel

We absolutely had to win this one and we did it despite Madrid being the better team coming in. A 4-3 thriller and one of the best Clasicos in a long time.

Messi is the most well rounded player in the world. Amazing passes today coupled with a big goal before the half and two perfectly executed penalties.

We're now one point behind Madrid....let's do this!

Carl
03-24-2014, 12:30 AM
What a performance from Andres Iniesta and Leo Messi in the biggest game of the year for Barcelona. :towel

We absolutely had to win this one and we did it despite Madrid being the better team coming in. A 4-3 thriller and one of the best Clasicos in a long time.

Messi is the most well rounded player in the world. Amazing passes today coupled with a big goal before the half and two perfectly executed penalties.

We're now one point behind Madrid....let's do this!

I have alot of time for Ronaldo; but Messi is in a different league. He had a "quiet" game, I counted about 10 touches; yet every goal Barca scored was a result of something he did. I really look forward to watching him mature as a player. His vision is as impressive as his dribbling.

Having said that, the Ref today was not impressive at all.

Do you think Atletico have a chance to win La Liga now?

Texas Ace
03-24-2014, 12:55 AM
I have alot of time for Ronaldo; but Messi is in a different league. He had a "quiet" game, I counted about 10 touches; yet every goal Barca scored was a result of something he did. I really look forward to watching him mature as a player. His vision is as impressive as his dribbling.

Having said that, the Ref today was not impressive at all.

Do you think Atletico have a chance to win La Liga now?

I've maintained all season that Atletico were legit contenders.

A lot of people thought they'd eventually fizzle out, but I believed all along that they had staying power, and now they are the sole leaders with 9 weeks left.

They have to visit the Nou Camp in the final week of the season, and can you imagine what the atmosphere will be like if that game is for the title?

How about Messi's incredible passing ability? I'm convinced that he can play well into his late 30's as a true midfielder because of his vision and passing ability.

What a player.

Carl
03-24-2014, 12:59 AM
I've maintained all season that Atletico were legit contenders.

A lot of people thought they'd eventually fizzle out, but I believed all along that they had staying power, and now they are the sole leaders with 9 weeks left.

They have to visit the Nou Camp in the final week of the season, and can you imagine what the atmosphere will be like if that game is for the title?

How about Messi's incredible passing ability? I'm convinced that he can play well into his late 30's as a true midfielder because of his vision and passing ability.

What a player.

His passing, weight of pass and vision to see things is like Platini...but he can do everything else as well. He is one of a kind.

dallen
03-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know if the Premier League has a online streaming option like MLB.TV?

Simpleton
03-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know if the Premier League has a online streaming option like MLB.TV?

You can watch all the games through the NBC website I'm pretty certain.

dallen
03-24-2014, 02:59 PM
You can watch all the games through the NBC website I'm pretty certain.
cool, thanks

Carl
03-24-2014, 10:53 PM
cool, thanks

Am curious dallen, who is your EPL team. Personally, I dont have one, and we just fired our manager today #nottinghamforest

dallen
03-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Am curious dallen, who is your EPL team. Personally, I dont have one, and we just fired our manager today #nottinghamforest

I don't really have one either. I've been watching more soccer lately, but recently canceled my satellite subscription.

Texas Ace
03-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Chelsea loses again.

This is precisely why I said weeks ago why I'd rather be in City's shoes because they control their own fate.

After this weekend, they will no longer be in the lead and City will still have games to make up.

Simpleton
03-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Some good games today.

Good performance from Swansea, they needed this to avoid relegation and now that they're out of Europa League and have Michu back I'm not really worried about that anymore.

Texas Ace
04-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Great win for PSG over Chelsea.

Would love to see Mourinho face the media if he loses out in both the league and the CL. :towel

Carl
04-02-2014, 05:11 PM

Would love to see Mourinho face the media if he loses out in both the league and the CL. :towel

Looks now as though he is going to. They are so light-weight up front. Conceding that last goal was a disaster, but PSG deserved it I thought. A rich club, that have actually bought well.

As far as the EPL, I can't see Liverpool hanging on, but their attacking play has been exhilarating at times. And am personally delighted for Brendan Rodgers.

Texas Ace
04-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Looks now as though he is going to. They are so light-weight up front. Conceding that last goal was a disaster, but PSG deserved it I thought. A rich club, that have actually bought well.

As far as the EPL, I can't see Liverpool hanging on, but their attacking play has been exhilarating at times. And am personally delighted for Brendan Rodgers.

IN this case, Mourinho actually does have an excuse. As you said, their strikers are just awful.

I think Liverpool can hang out till the end, and that match vs Chelsea is going to be excellent. :towel

Simpleton
04-02-2014, 07:08 PM

It's his first year back, of course they have good talent but it'd be premature to judge him after one season.

Texas Ace
04-03-2014, 01:05 AM
Great game between the US and Mexico but the refs are totally fucking us.

Called off a totally legit for us as then failed to call a penalty.

Texas Ace
04-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Damnit.....just as I feared, Chelsea won 2-0.

I had no faith in PSG playing well on the road, or even scoring for that matter.

I think Chelsea are out in the semifinal because I can't see them beating Madrid or Bayern, but they got much further than I thought they would.

And Madrid hung on by the skin of their teeth. Dortmund had so many chances to get the 3rd goal but couldn't put it away.

Tomorrow, my beloved Barcelona face Atletico, but I gotta be honest and say that I don't think they make it through.

Carl
04-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Damnit.....just as I feared, Chelsea won 2-0.

I had no faith in PSG playing well on the road, or even scoring for that matter.

I think Chelsea are out in the semifinal because I can't see them beating Madrid or Bayern, but they got much further than I thought they would.

And Madrid hung on by the skin of their teeth. Dortmund had so many chances to get the 3rd goal but couldn't put it away.

Tomorrow, my beloved Barcelona face Atletico, but I gotta be honest and say that I don't think they make it through.

Chelsea deserve a lot of credit; and Mourinho's record in CL is, dare I say special. Never lost in QF's and been to SF 8 times.

Carl
04-08-2014, 11:03 PM
So the first ESPN 30 for 30 "Soccer Stories" is on next Tuesday. And the subject is Hillsborough, where 96 Liverpool fans died. The opposition that day, was Nottingham Forest, my team. It's going to be interesting to see how accurate or controversial (take your pick) ESPN are prepared to be.

The police were at fault to be sure, but everyone and I mean everyone knew that it was a badge of honor at that time among Liverpool fans to turn up to games without tickets and bunk in free of charge. They will not accept any responsibility for what happened; and if anyone in the media dares to suggest they were, even somewhat culpable, they boycott, threaten with violence and generally make their life miserable. One of my good friends had a call in show on the original Fox Soccer Channel. He had strong views on Hillsborough. About 18 months ago, he got an offer from ESPN, the Liverpool webmongs got hold of the info and threatened ESPN, who subsequently withdrew the job offer.

Having said all that, I remain happy with the increased soccer coverage.

Simpleton
04-08-2014, 11:07 PM
It should be good and fuck Liverpool anyway.

Texas Ace
04-08-2014, 11:54 PM
I get the feeling that Simp won't be chanting "You will never walk alone" anytime soon.

Simpleton
04-09-2014, 09:36 AM
I get the feeling that Simp won't be chanting "You will never walk alone" anytime soon.

That is correct, and fuck Man U as well.

Texas Ace
04-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Just as I suspected, Barcelona are out after failing to produce a single goal.

The fact that there is a blueprint to defeat Barcelona now, and that the club have done nothing to make adjustments and counter, is an absolute joke.

When we were eliminated by Chelsea 2 years ago, I said after that match that good defensive teams were having too much success hanging back and flooding the box against Barcelona and that they need to acquire a true CF or even a bigger midfielder that they could sub in these types of games to give them options.

Instead, we continue on with the same exact group of players hoping that we're going to be able to walk the ball into the back of the next in every game.

Texas Ace
04-13-2014, 08:26 PM
What a game that was this morning.

Liverpool's energy early on was great and they absolutely dominated the first 40 minutes of the half, with City only showing life right near the end of the half.

That first goal was class. After Messi, I think Suarez might be the best passer in that group of elite goal scorers/attackers in the world. He's done at all season long and he did it again today. The way he shielded DeMichelis and brought the ball down, then turned his back in the opposite direction to then shield Clichy was impressive enough, but then to follow that sequence with a perfectly weighted ball just made it all the more brilliant.

Sterling's finish coupled with Suarez's brilliance might have made that the goal of the weekend in the EPL.

But just as this game was a tale of two halves for the teams, it was also that for Suarez. I thought he spent way too much time looking for cheap fouls in the 2nd half, and he did much more to hurt Liverpool than to help them in the latter half.

I thought Sturridge was very poor and his control and first touch were lacking, as was his decision making when he had the ball in the open field on a couple of occasions.

City were able to take what they built in the last 5 min if the 1st half and carry into the 2nd. They were as dominating in the 2nd as Liverpool was in the 1st. And how great was Silva? For my money, he was the MOTM.

On top of his brilliant play, I thought he earned a penalty that was not called that would have given City the lead.

Late in this one, I was certain that City were either going to get their 3rd or the game would end in a draw, and then Kompany's mistake happened. Just brutal and undeserving at that point in the match because City's defense was so good in the 2nd half, but that's football.

A great match between the leagues top two teams, and a reminder of why I think the EPL is still the best league in the world.

Simpleton
04-15-2014, 10:44 PM
The Hillsborough 30/30 was great, I didn't know one of the kids that died was Gerrard's cousin. Considering that they just re-opened the inquests I'm guessing Liverpool wins their first EPL title in nearly as long as it's been since Hillsborough happened, just seems like one of those fairytale stories that would occur.

Texas Ace
04-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Holy crap.

Last place Sunderland is trying to throw a wrench in everyone's title hopes.

On Wednesday, they managed to draw at City 2-2, and today, they beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

If Liverpool win tomorrow, the league title is about 90% theirs.

Eat shit, Maureen! :laff

Carl
04-21-2014, 12:30 AM
The Hillsborough 30/30 was great, I didn't know one of the kids that died was Gerrard's cousin. Considering that they just re-opened the inquests I'm guessing Liverpool wins their first EPL title in nearly as long as it's been since Hillsborough happened, just seems like one of those fairytale stories that would occur.

Going to watch it tonight. Also, as a reminder there is a soccer themed one coming up every week now.

Carl
04-21-2014, 12:32 AM
Holy crap.

Last place Sunderland is trying to throw a wrench in everyone's title hopes.

On Wednesday, they managed to draw at City 2-2, and today, they beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

If Liverpool win tomorrow, the league title is about 90% theirs.

Eat shit, Maureen! :laff

Which Liverpool have done. Quality might be better in other leagues in Europe, but the EPL provides some serious drama every week.

Also, really looking forward to CL semis this week, especially Wednesday.

Carl
04-21-2014, 03:04 AM

Just finished watching. A difficult watch to be sure. But as suspected, Liverpool fans don't accept any responsibility and ESPN shied away. What about Heysel five years earlier. Look that up. No blame then either? Liverpool fans are really difficult to deal with. They played their part in this unfortunate day.

Texas Ace
04-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Just finished watching. A difficult watch to be sure. But as suspected, Liverpool fans don't accept any responsibility and ESPN shied away. What about Heysel five years earlier. Look that up. No blame then either? Liverpool fans are really difficult to deal with. They played their part in this unfortunate day.

I don't know enough about this to take one side of the argument or the other, but it certainly looks to me based on the evidence shown that the main culprit for this tragedy was a lack of a plan by the new man in charge and the decision to open the gate and just allow everyone to flood on in.

Is there something they aren't telling us?

Carl
04-21-2014, 06:45 PM
I don't know enough about this to take one side of the argument or the other, but it certainly looks to me based on the evidence shown that the main culprit for this tragedy was a lack of a plan by the new man in charge and the decision to open the gate and just allow everyone to flood on in.

Is there something they aren't telling us?

The police get majority of the blame to be sure; but you can also blame the hooligan culture of the 80's in English football which led to a distrust between the police and fans. And that fact that Liverpool fans were notorious for bad behavior, turning up late without tickets and bull-rushing their way into grounds as kickoff was starting.

A horrible day all round though. The really sad part is that the fans who got to ground earliest were the ones who died.

Simpleton
04-21-2014, 06:59 PM

The fans were idiots for sure, crowding in like that, but ultimately the blame/poor planning falls on the police, and the cover-up was the worst part of all.

Carl
04-26-2014, 04:57 AM
Surprised TA didnt beat me to this; maybe like me he hates stories like this...RIP Tito.

Texas Ace
04-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Surprised TA didnt beat me to this; maybe like me he hates stories like this...RIP Tito.

It's just sad.

Fucking piece of shit cancer.

I knew when it came back on him that it was just a matter of time before it took his life.

45 is way too young.

Texas Ace
04-27-2014, 11:49 AM
I hate Mourinho teams.

I know it's all about winning, but watching his teams is like watching soccer from the 1800's or something.

No intention whatsoever to attack, 30% possession, and like 2 or 3 shots for a whole game.

That was what he did today and what he did at Atletico.

This style of play does not deserve to win shit, so I really hope Atletico find a way to win and either Liverpool hang on or City overtake them in league play.

It's a disgrace to watch his team.

Carl
04-28-2014, 01:07 AM
I hate Mourinho teams.

I know it's all about winning, but watching his teams is like watching soccer from the 1800's or something.

No intention whatsoever to attack, 30% possession, and like 2 or 3 shots for a whole game.

That was what he did today and what he did at Atletico.

This style of play does not deserve to win shit, so I really hope Atletico find a way to win and either Liverpool hang on or City overtake them in league play.

It's a disgrace to watch his team.

And he got what he wanted from both games. If it was so easy to just sit behind the ball and occasionally counter, everyone could do it. But no. Mourinho's teams can do it better than anyone. He is a great tactician.

Texas Ace
04-30-2014, 01:10 PM
And he got what he wanted from both games. If it was so easy to just sit behind the ball and occasionally counter, everyone could do it. But no. Mourinho's teams can do it better than anyone. He is a great tactician.

Well, it's going to be like drinking poison, but I think I'm gonna have to pull for a Mourinho team.

:ballpunch

Being as Madrid are now a CL finalist, I need Chelsea to make it because they are the only ones with a real chance to stop them. I think Atletico are the better team between them and Chelsea, but as we talked about before, Mourinho's defensive tactics against superior teams have been excellent this season.

Atletico will eventually bend to Real, but Chelsea may just be able to pull out another defensive win thanks to Mourinho.

Because of that, I'll be reluctantly pulling for Mourinho and crossing my fingers that he beats Madrid.

Texas Ace
04-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Well, so long Mourinho. :lol

I did think they had the better chance, but I can't say I'm upset to see that asshole sent home! :towel

And while I did think they stood a better chance to beat Madrid, I may have to rethink that after what I saw today.

While a lot of us were practically crowning Real champions of the CL and wondering what's wrong with Bayern and thinking that Chelsea are the better opponent to stop Madrid in the final, maybe we need to stop and ask ourselves if this is going to be Atletico's special season?

It's easy to overlook them to a degree despite how good they've been because they maybe don't have the prestige nor the notoriety of the other clubs, but maybe we need to start considering that it is Atletico who are the ones destined for a magical season with their first ever double - CL and Liga.

I still think Real wins the final, but I do think Atletico are totally capable of beating them.

Texas Ace
05-05-2014, 05:27 PM
What an epic choke job by Liverpool today.

City was probably going to win it anyway, but this is a cruel, cruel way to go out.

Sucks for them.

Carl
05-08-2014, 02:31 AM
Well, you certainly got the last laugh on Mourinho this year; and he has been dour over the last couple of months.

We still have the Champions League Final to look forward to; I'd like Atletico to win; Simeone is interesting and changes the status quo; then its of to the WC. I can't wait.

dallen
05-08-2014, 09:41 AM
PES 2014 is free on playstation plus this month.

Texas Ace
05-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Well, you certainly got the last laugh on Mourinho this year; and he has been dour over the last couple of months.

We still have the Champions League Final to look forward to; I'd like Atletico to win; Simeone is interesting and changes the status quo; then its of to the WC. I can't wait.

Yes, it's nice to not see him win anything! :towel

But to be honest, he got more out of that team than most managers would have. They have no strikers to speak of whatsoever, and that is ultimately what doomed his team.

Amazingly enough, Atletico and Real have failed to cease their opportunities and have allowed Barcelona back into the La Liga race. If they win their final two games, they will be champions.

Being as Barcelona have failed to beat Atletico in 5 chances this season, I don't know how they're going to beat them in the season finale, but at least we'll have our chance.

Texas Ace
05-08-2014, 11:43 AM
PES 2014 is free on playstation plus this month.

Indeed!

This game used to be excellent, but it's fallen on hard times in recent years. It's not a bad game, but it's not a very good one either.

Still, even in its current state, it still does quite a few things better than Fifa. I'm still holding out hope that it can return to its former glory some day.

Texas Ace
05-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Man City are your new EPL champs.

They love to make things hard on themselves, but I don't think anyone can argue against them being England's best team.

The next step for them is to get into the late stages of the Champions League.

Also, Barcelona have more lives than a cat. Despite not really deserving it, they have a chance win the La Liga next week if they best Atletico in the Nou Camp.

I hope we can pull it out, but I have my doubts.

Texas Ace
05-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Vamos Atletico!

Anyone else watching the CL final?

Deuce
05-24-2014, 04:39 PM
That sound you year is Atletico gagging in extra time.

Simpleton
05-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Real deserved to win really but I wouldn't call that a choke necessarily, Real is a great attacking team and one of those chances was bound to go in. In extra time they were completely exhausted from the constant pressure and the one injured dude was totally useless.

Deuce
05-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Real deserved to win really but I wouldn't call that a choke necessarily, Real is a great attacking team and one of those chances was bound to go in. In extra time they were completely exhausted from the constant pressure and the one injured dude was totally useless.
It also helped that Atletico completely stopped trying to attack and fell into super defense mode. Prevent defense is never the way to go.

Texas Ace
05-24-2014, 06:32 PM
It also helped that Atletico completely stopped trying to attack and fell into super defense mode. Prevent defense is never the way to go.

It isn't that they stopped, it's that they aren't much of an attacking team nor do they have any players that are particularly skilled at dribbling or passing.

Atletico has been grinding out wins all year through excellent defense and close, tight wins.

They were like the 1990 NY Giants - a team that wasn't going to try and win shootouts or make any highlight reels due to their explosive plays on offense.

I agree with Simp in that they didn't choke. In fact, I thought that for 93 minutes they had put on one hell of a defensive performance, but it was just one too many chances to try and stop.

Simpleton
05-24-2014, 10:55 PM
The fact that their best offensive player was injured and had to sub out in the 9th minute didn't help either.

Texas Ace
06-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Jozy F'n Altidore :towel

http://giant.gfycat.com/VibrantDaringGosling.gif

Deuce
06-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Perfect pass too. Who was that? Bradley?

Simpleton
06-08-2014, 11:15 AM
That was indeed Bradley, he was ridiculous yesterday and looks like he should playing in a top tier league.

Texas Ace
06-08-2014, 11:29 AM
That was indeed Bradley, he was ridiculous yesterday and looks like he should playing in a top tier league.

He did play a number of years for Roma, so maybe it's time he go back overseas.

Carl
06-09-2014, 12:48 AM
He did play a number of years for Roma, so maybe it's time he go back overseas.

Other than the keeper, I think Bradley is the best US Player. It's good, I suppose that Altidore scored twice, but I have very little faith in him moving forward.

Carl
06-09-2014, 12:51 AM
In my mind there is a ton of pressure on Messi in this world cup. Will he respond?

Simpleton
06-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Bradley is our best field player right now, Fabian Johnson is probably 2nd.

Texas Ace
06-09-2014, 03:25 PM
In my mind there is a ton of pressure on Messi in this world cup. Will he respond?

About 2 years or so ago, Messi started to produce for Argentina as he had for so long with Barcelona.

Because of that, many people are expecting him to lead Argentina deep into the tournament, and unlike previous tournaments, he will absolutely be expected to score.

I think he can respond to it, but the backlash is going to be immense if he doesn't.

1bigfan13
06-12-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm surprised Texas Ace and Carl aren't giddy chatting up the World Cup.

Being down here in Miami you can definitely tell there's more excitement for the Cup than in other areas of the US that I've lived in.

Croatia just went up 1 - nil on Brazil on a Brazilian kicking it into his own goal.

Deuce
06-12-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm surprised @Texas Ace (http://dccforums.com/member.php?u=22) and Carl aren't giddy chatting up the World Cup.

Being down here in Miami you can definitely tell there's more excitement for the Cup than in other areas of the US that I've lived in.

Croatia just went up 1 - nil on Brazil on a Brazilian kicking it into his own goal.
It was fun while Croatia had the lead but everyone knew FIFA wasn't going to let them get a draw in their first match on their own soil.

Texas Ace
06-12-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm surprised Texas Ace and Carl aren't giddy chatting up the World Cup.

Oh, I'm giddy alright.

I went to a Colombian restaurant to watch the have which is why I wasn't chatting earlier. But I'll be in this thread every day from here on out.

Simpleton
06-12-2014, 09:56 PM
That shit was crooked.

dallen
06-13-2014, 11:27 AM
That shit was crooked.

FIFA, crooked? No way, Jose!

Deuce
06-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Not sure I ever imagined myself saying this, but Go Cameroon!

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Come on, Cameroon!

1bigfan13
06-13-2014, 12:25 PM
That was a lot of contact going on. Surprisingly there was no penalty or flopping in that little melee.

Deuce
06-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Come on, Cameroon!

http://eksith.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/merrynewyear.png

1bigfan13
06-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Mexico: "In your face, haters."

1bigfan13
06-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Spoke too soon. I didn't see that they called offsides.

Texas Ace
Mexico: "In your face, haters."

Not so fast, my friend. :lol

Deuce
If these calls keep up, Mexico might get pissed and invade Texas. I support this.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 12:36 PM
If these calls keep up, Mexico might get pissed and invade Texas. I support this.

:fyou

Deuce
06-13-2014, 12:38 PM

Don't worry, you're safe. My hope is they start with West Texas. By the time they get to Houston we will have gotten rid of them and probably bombed them back to the Aztec days.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Mexico is getting screwed badly in this one, but that's ok with me. :art

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 01:05 PM
I think this perfectly sums up the officiating at the WC so far:

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a463/da_acesta/BqBn93DCIAAfMco_zps48b043c2.jpg (http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/da_acesta/media/BqBn93DCIAAfMco_zps48b043c2.jpg.html)

Angrymesscan
06-13-2014, 01:10 PM

All!!!

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Cameroon can't put anything together.

What a crap team they are.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 01:19 PM
This game is starting to have the feel of one of those where the undeserving team gets a set piece goal to steal a game they have no business winning.

Deuce
06-13-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't remember the last time I saw a ref pull out a spray paint can in a WC match. :lol

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't remember the last time I saw a ref pull out a spray paint can in a WC match. :lol

They just implemented it for this WC, but Latin America has been doing this for a long time.

No more blowing the whistle to stop play to get guys back behind the imaginary line.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 01:24 PM
Damnit.

Well, they deserved it. Cameroon have no business being in this game.

Iamtdg
06-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Don't worry, you're safe. My hope is they start with West Texas. By the time they get to Houston we will have gotten rid of them and probably bombed them back to the Aztec days.

Hey fuck you, man!

:sad

Deuce
06-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Hey fuck you, man!

:sad

By West Texas, I literally mean just El Paso before they're delt with. You guys are more West Central.

Deuce
06-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Cameroon didn't have many chances all game, but they had two pin point chances in the game and missed both. They had a chance.

Angrymesscan
06-13-2014, 02:04 PM
:happydance :happydance :towel :happydance :happydance :towel :happydance :happydance :towel :happydance :happydance :towel :happydance :happydance :towel
:happydance :happydance :towel :happydance :happydance :towel :happydance :happydance :towel :happydance :happydance :towel :happydance :happydance :towel

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Good performance Angrymesscan

If things go the way I expect them to, that Mexico vs Croatia match is gonna be to advance to the 2nd round.

Should be a great game.

Cowboysrock55
06-13-2014, 02:37 PM
WGAS

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 03:10 PM
WGAS

So then GTFO if you don't care.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Had that been Robben, that would've been 1-0.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 03:29 PM
The officiating is absolutely awful at this WC.

dallen
06-13-2014, 03:30 PM
That was an interesting call...

dallen
06-13-2014, 03:32 PM
‘The Cup is ours! The ref is ours! Even the Croatian goal is ours!’ -link (http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/the-cup-is-ours-the-ref-is-ours-even-the-croatian-goal-is-ours-1.1831464)

dallen
06-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Great save there. I thought Spain had them

dallen
06-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Wow, terrific header to tie the game. IT will probably be disallowed somehow

dallen
06-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Flying Dutchmen:

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/856755342.gif?1402688562

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 03:53 PM
That was one helluva goal from RVP.

Carl
06-13-2014, 03:55 PM
What a terrific goal from Van Persie. Beautiful.

But can we get rid of Lalas from the studio.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 03:57 PM
What a terrific goal from Van Persie. Beautiful.

But can we get rid of Lalas from the studio.

Yes, and yes.

dallen
06-13-2014, 03:58 PM
The Univision stream is free online. I prefer unintelligible Spanish to unintelligible English.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:00 PM
The Univision stream is free online. I prefer unintelligible Spanish to unintelligible English.

Cowboysrock55
06-13-2014, 04:02 PM
So then GTFO if you don't care.

:lol So testy

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:08 PM
:lol So testy

No, it's just stupid.....we get it, nobody here likes soccer outside of like 4 or 5 of us.

We have enough posts in this thread and have had them in the past to know that you guys don't like the sport. No need to keep going on with that lame ass shit.

I don't like hockey, but I don't go constantly into the NHL thread to tell them how much hockey sucks, etc.

We get it, so leave the thread to those of us who actually want to discuss the sport's happenings.

dallen
06-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooollllllllll

Carl
06-13-2014, 04:12 PM
No, it's just stupid.....we get it, nobody here likes soccer outside of like 4 or 5 of us.

We have enough posts in this thread and have had them in the past to know that you guys don't like the sport. No need to keep going on with that lame ass shit.

I don't like hockey, but I don't go constantly into the NHL thread to tell them how much hockey sucks, etc.

We get it, so leave the thread to those of us who actually want to discuss the sport's happenings.

What's funny is that it's only soccer that brings out this side of people on this board. Maybe it is their realization that soccer, with the exception of Football, is slowly beginning to surpass the other sports in US.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Another outstanding pass and a class finish.

Robben.....what a player.

Cowboysrock55
06-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Very sensitive.

I was just bored, relax.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:13 PM
What's funny is that it's only soccer that brings out this side of people on this board. Maybe it is their realization that soccer, with the exception of Football, is slowly beginning to surpass the other sports in US.

In 5 years, it will have surpassed baseball and basketball in popularity and ratings.

Mark my words.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Very sensitive.

I was just bored, relax.

I'm not sensitive, and I've never replied to these posts before.

Just making a point that we get it. No need to keep it going.

Carl
06-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Another excellent goal. Slightly reminiscent of Bergkamp's goal against Argentina. Obviously not as good, but excellent none the less. This will bring out the best in Spain now, and should be a good second half.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Holland starting to roll now.

So close to a third.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Another excellent goal. Slightly reminiscent of Bergkamp's goal against Argentina. Obviously not as good, but excellent none the less. This will bring out the best in Spain now, and should be a good second half.

Very similar in how he brought the ball down, yes.

Carl
06-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Torres coming on. Spain getting desperate. Having said that, watch him score now.

1bigfan13
06-13-2014, 04:21 PM
The officiating is absolutely awful at this WC.

Yeah it is. We're barely a full day into the Cup and the officials are already creating huge waves of controversy in virtually every match.

1bigfan13
06-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Damn. I didn't expect the Dutch to roll the Spaniards like this.

dallen
06-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooollllllllll

dallen
06-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Ned is kicking some bottom

dallen
06-13-2014, 04:24 PM
I was unaware you are allowed to drop the people's elbow on the goalie like that

1bigfan13
06-13-2014, 04:30 PM
What a pathetic effort from Spain.

And they're supposed to be one of the odds on favorites to win the Cup.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Man, what an ass whopping.

Good for Holland. I've always liked the Dutch.

dallen
06-13-2014, 04:31 PM

Carl
06-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Looks like Mou was spot on about Casillas.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:38 PM

Arjen MF'ng Robben!

What a player.

dallen

dallen
Jesu Christo

Texas Ace
Looks like Mou was spot on about Casillas.

Of course.

He was given playing time on both Madrid and the Spanish NT out of sheer loyalty. He was not the best option at Madrid, and he's not even the second or third best option for Spain.

You have to leave your emotions out of it when it comes to the business side of sports.

Carl
06-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Ramos has looked tired and slow all game; but what a super effort and goal by Robben.

dallen
06-13-2014, 04:39 PM
I think Casillas might have retired in the 1st half and forgot to tell anyone

Carl
06-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Its not the end for Spain, but with the GD, they will most likely need 6 points. 4 won't be enough.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:44 PM
What a fucking volley from Robben!

Is he on fire or is he on fire?

Wow.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Ramos has looked tired and slow all game; but what a super effort and goal by Robben.

Looked very similar to how Bale made mince meat out of Bartra in that CDR final.

dallen
06-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Spain really needs to steal a goal or 2 at the end here if they have any hope at catching up on goal differential

dallen
06-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Spain really needs to steal a goal or 2 at the end here if they have any hope at catching up on goal differential

That was their shot there

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:57 PM
That was one hell of a performance.

It wasn't just that they completely demolished the world champions, but the number of class goals too.

Great stuff.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 04:58 PM
That was their shot there

Yea, too bad it was Torres.

He's such a disaster now.

Deuce
06-13-2014, 05:12 PM

This is what I call an El Salvadorian Beatdown.

Deuce
06-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Yea, too bad it was Torres.

He's such a disaster now.
I listened to the end on on the radio. Tommy Smyth said "he hasn't been able been to score a goal if his life depended on it for the last year" :lol

Carl
06-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Looking forward to watching Chile play. Some fairly credible pundits have been tipping them to get to Semi Finals.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Looking forward to watching Chile play. Some fairly credible pundits have been tipping them to get to Semi Finals.

I can't see it, but they should be entertaining to watch at least.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 05:52 PM
I listened to the end on on the radio. Tommy Smyth said "he hasn't been able been to score a goal if his life depended on it for the last year" :lol

http://honkwall.com/upload/1390169069MUvCHE_TorresFail.gif

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Chile look outstanding.

Alexis playing a part in both goals.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Alexis came ready to play.

17 min in and he's already putting on a show.

Carl
06-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Alexis came ready to play.

17 min in and he's already putting on a show.

I'd like to see him in the EPL, maybe for Arsenal or even Liverpool. He would be outstanding.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 06:31 PM
I'd like to see him in the EPL, maybe for Arsenal or even Liverpool. He would be outstanding.

Word is that Juventus are trying to get him and he has been rumored to be in Arsenal's sights as well.

He's a very talented player who just doesn't seem to fit in Barcelona's system, but he can play at the highest level......no doubt about it.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 06:35 PM
That goal from Cahill was Ronaldo-esque.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Australia have had chances to tie this one but can't put find the back of the net.

Carl
06-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Cahill has been immense. Chile are going to win, but they haven't impressed. I'd expect Spain to beat both and advance.

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Cahill has been immense. Chile are going to win, but they haven't impressed. I'd expect Spain to beat both and advance.

As long as Del Bosque isn't stubborn and doesn't insist on playing the exact same way with the possesion based shape, then he'll play with more width and cross balls into Costa all day against this Chilean squad.

Carl
06-13-2014, 08:02 PM
As long as Del Bosque isn't stubborn and doesn't insist on playing the exact same way with the possesion based shape, then he'll play with more width and cross balls into Costa all day against this Chilean squad.

Do you think Costa might be suspended for that "head butt"?

Texas Ace
06-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Do you think Costa might be suspended for that "head butt"?

No, I don't think so.

You don't see a lot of retroactive punishments being enforced by FIFA, unless it's something really really bad.

While it certainly was a dirty play, I don't think it was one that warrants being suspended over.

Angrymesscan
06-13-2014, 11:13 PM
In 5 years, it will have surpassed baseball and basketball in popularity and ratings.

Mark my words.

That's because Latinos will be about 33% of the US pop. by then...

Carl
06-14-2014, 01:00 AM
This is already shaping up as a good WC. Enough teams ready to play expansive football; and not sit back and wait. Having said that Italy play tomorrow.

Deuce
06-14-2014, 11:58 AM
I couldn't give a shit about these 3 teams, but Colombian women >>>>> Greek women so that's how I'll root.

Texas Ace
06-14-2014, 12:20 PM
I couldn't give a shit about these 3 teams, but Colombian women >>>>> Greek women so that's how I'll root.

The eye candy in the stadium right now must be great.

Deuce
06-14-2014, 12:41 PM
My guess is Kone is Simp's doppleganger.