Watkins: James Hanna still has role with Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
James Hanna still has role with Cowboys

May, 23, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys drafted Gavin Escobar in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft, it seemed like 2012 sixth-round pick James Hanna was a forgotten man.

Hanna, a Flower Mound product, displayed some promise toward the end of the 2012 season. It seemed the Cowboys found a carbon copy of Hanna in Escobar, a slender pass-catching tight end.

Did the Cowboys forget about Hanna?

"I'm pretty confident in myself and I feel like I have a lot to bring (to the team and) a lot of different aspects to the game, and (Escobar) does too," Hanna said. "So just having great players is good for the team."

Hanna finished last season with just eight catches for 86 yards and no touchdowns. But in the regular season finale at Washington, Hanna got significant playing time due to injuries to several wide receivers and caught a career-high three passes for 20 yards.

Hanna appeared to have some upside. But then the Cowboys draft Escobar, who is not a blocking tight end, something some draft experts thought the Cowboys needed.

"That's the way the business works," Hanna said. "That’s the way it goes."

Hanna said tha tnew tight ends coach Wes Phillips is changing the techniques of the group to improve the blocking of the team. Hanna is also bulking up so he can be stronger at the point of attack and the Cowboys can rely on him more. The Cowboys are planning to use more two tight end sets and maybe employ the use of three tight ends, which means more playing time for Hanna.

"I like to think that I'm trying to be well-rounded and being faster, stronger running better routes, hand placement, all of that stuff," Hanna said.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think he is versatile enough to play in the slot if needed. He won't catch more than 10-15 catches this year, but he could be a match up issue that is exploited every once in awhile.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he is versatile enough to play in the slot if needed. He won't catch more than 10-15 catches this year, but he could be a match up issue that is exploited every once in awhile.
I just get a goof vibe from Escobar. Like he's really really dumb. Ever notice his mouth is open at all times? Look at every picture. You'll see.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Watkins is such a lazy moron. Hanna and Escobar are carbon copies of one another? Uh, no. Hanna is a straight line speed player and Escobar is allegedly a guy that picks his way and finds holes in a defense (because he sure as hell isn't going to run by anyone.) Very different types of TE's even though they're both primarily pass-catching non-blockers.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Don't take it personally, Hanna.

They only took a TE because that's what they know.

How many TEs have been drafted since 2003?
Written
Sean Ryan
Fasano
Bennett
Escobar

Thought there was another.

How many QBs?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's ludicrous that this team has drafted backups to Witten in the 2nd round three times when Witten himself was a third rounder. They have little understanding of the concept of value.

Top Bottom