Hill: No more off-season basketball, soccer or golf for Tony Romo

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No more off-season basketball, soccer or golf for Tony Romo

Tony Romo is staying away from his off-season hobbies, such as golf, to focus more on staying healthy for football.
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

ADDISON —

The collateral damage to Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo having back surgeries the past two off-seasons is that he has to give up his alleged distracting hobbies.

Romo is famously known for playing in soccer and basketball leagues during the off-season as well as being an avid golfer, making yearly attempts to qualify for the U.S. Open.

It’s football all the time now for the renewed Romo, who is coming off the best season of his career.

“Well, I love football,” said Romo, who attended the Dallas Cowboys Women’s Association’s charity fashion show Thursday night. “I think what you find is that you love the game of football so much that it’s easy to have other things take a backseat.”

Romo, a three-sport athlete in high school, has a passion for competition.

“I think anybody who knows me well knows that competition is what I thrive on, regardless of what it is in life,” Romo said. “I tell my wife sometimes, I'm like, as long as I'm able to compete on a daily basis with something, I sleep well at night. And I thrive on that. I think that's partly why I've been able to grow and continue to get better as a player.”

To fill the competition void, Romo has made it a game within a game in his rehab.

“I’ve made it a competition with myself and I think that’s something that I’ve learned, that I’ve loved, which I’ve said before is competition,” Romo said. “I’ve made it a competition to be at my best with my back, with my training, and I think that’s allowed me to consistently get stronger each day, each week, each month since the surgery last year. It’s showing in the strength department being able to go longer periods of time.”

So is he undefeated against himself?

“It’s a battle consistently with myself,” Romo said with a wry smile. “Sometimes I win, sometimes my other part of myself wins.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think it's possible Jerry had a "no-play" clause put into Romo's mega-contract keeping him from joining golf, basketball, and soccer leagues.

It's too stark a change from the time before his contract when he'd do everything and answered these same questions very differently.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I never thought his playing other sports to stay in shape in the offseason was a problem.

townsend

Banned
I never thought his playing other sports to stay in shape in the offseason was a problem.
Considering he always kinda looks tubby during the offseason I'm not sure if it was helping. Don't really need Romo on the Jack Nicklaus regimen.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Considering he always kinda looks tubby during the offseason I'm not sure if it was helping. Don't really need Romo on the Jack Nicklaus regimen.
I think he'd put on weight at the beginning of the offseason and worked it off playing soccer, basketball or whatever. Better he not risk injury doing those things of course.

Top Bottom