Cowboys rookie DE Randy Gregory all smiles after getting best of LT Tyron Smith ‘once

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Brandon George / Reporter Follow @DMN_George Email bgeorge@dallasnews.com
Published: May 27, 2015 7:40 pm

IRVING — Dallas Cowboys rookie defensive end Randy Gregory couldn’t hold back an ear-to-ear smile sitting at his locker Wednesday at Valley Ranch after the second day of organized team activity practices.

Gregory, the Cowboys’ second-round pick out of Nebraska, was asked about his matchup against Pro Bowl left tackle Tyron Smith in team drills Wednesday.

“I’ll let him talk about it. I’m not going to speak too much on it,” Gregory said, flashing a wide-mouthed smile, “but I think we had a pretty good battle. He did a good job, but I think I won a couple there. I know I won a couple there. He may not agree to it. The important thing is he made me better. Hopefully I’m helping him out and when it’s all said and done we can both help out the team.”

Gregory faked an outside move against Smith before using his speed to beat him inside and pressure quarterback Tony Romo during non-contact teams drills without pads.

Smith also smiled Wednesday when asked about Gregory getting the best of him a few times. Well, maybe not multiple times.

“He got me once. Yeah,” Smith said, quickly clarifying how many times Gregory beat him. “He’s a swift kid. He’s pretty quick, a different type of rusher. He’s going to be pretty good.

“As an older guy, you kind of get a little aggravated at first. Something you messed up on that you have to clean up, that’s basically all it was.”

Smith said he was impressed by Gregory, particularly his first step.

“He got me by surprise,” Smith said. “I didn’t think he had that much speed. He’s a physical player, long. He’s going to be pretty good.”

Gregory is wearing the same No. 94 uniform that defensive end DeMarcus Ware used during his seven Pro Bowl seasons with the Cowboys. Smith often stayed after practice to work with Ware one-on-one and credits Ware for his quick development in the NFL.

Smith said Wednesday he’s prepared to help mentor Gregory in the same way Ware helped him.

“I just know how important it is to get help from older guys so any kind of questions or extra work he needs I’m always there for any kind of question he has or anything I can help him out with,” Smith said. “The kid coming in the way he is now, he seems like he’s pretty good already. He seems like he’s going to be a guy who fits into our program.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love reading about this stuff. I don't think anyone on our roster was able to do anything against Smith last year at this time.

townsend

Banned
Like hearing about Ware helping Smith develop. That's a big deal. You don't hear of many teams with that level of cooperation between offense and defense. Great to see Smith paying it forward.

vince

Not So New Member
I watched this like 10 times. Man he is quick on his feet.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Top Bottom