Boise State RB Jay Ajayi's knee a concern for NFL teams

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2015 NFL Draft: Boise State RB Jay Ajayi's knee a concern for NFL teams

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

April 20, 2015 3:17 pm ET

Boise State running back Jay Ajayi is one of the most talented and productive running backs in the 2015 NFL Draft class. But the long-term durability of his right knee is a “strong” concern, according to several league sources.

Ajayi injured his right knee in October 2011 and has dealt with cartilage issues in that knee over his career. The issue was red-flagged at the NFL Combine re-check in Indianapolis

Ajayi rushed for 3,796 yards over his career in Boise State and could be a very productive runner in the NFL as a rookie. According to league sources, he is ready to play right now, but the question is longevity of the knee and how long will it hold up? Team doctors are unable to pinpoint a timetable with that question.

With a clean bill of health, Ajayi is one of the best running back prospects in this class and projected top-40 draft pick. But with his recent durability concerns, it's tough to predict where teams will feel comfortable drafting him. Chris Polk was viewed as one of the top running back prospects in the 2012 NFL Draft class out of Washington, but concerns regarding his knee left him undrafted. He was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles and has seen part-time duty the last three seasons, rushing for 270 yards and seven touchdowns. While I expect Ajayi to be drafted, there is a good chance it is later than most expected.

Ajayi became the first player in FBS history to rush for 1,800+ yards and collect 500+ receiving yards in 2014. He started 26 games for Boise State the last two years and leaves school with 751 career touches on offense, showing a workhorse mentality. But with that type of workload, the body takes a toll and now the key to Ajayi's draft grade isn't game film or scouting reports, its will team doctors feel comfortable signing off on a knee with long-term question marks?
--------------

If this rules him out, I am moving on to Yeldon.

I don't think we have a shot at Gurley and I am not that excited about Coleman.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is terrible news. Not that there aren't other backs in his range that will be good as well, just that I really wanted Ajayi.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is terrible news. Not that there aren't other backs in his range that will be good as well, just that I really wanted Ajayi.
Yeah, it sucks.

He was my number one guy since I discounted Gurley and Gordon.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, it sucks.

He was my number one guy since I discounted Gurley and Gordon.
Same. Oh well, maybe it pushes him to us at 60. I would still take that gamble.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Shit just got real.

Cotton

Staff member

Shit just got real.
Oh snap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know Ajayi is pretty much most team's third guy. So it is not that shocking to see a bunch of shit being spread about him.

I will have to say though, this is the first time I have seen it played out this way via social media. Times sure have changed.

Used to be back in the day, guys would just tumble in and sometimes out of the draft, and we'd have no idea why.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This makes me a little more certain it is complete bullshit as some teams are throwing it out there his knee is shot to push him down to them.

Hey, this guy's knee is gravel...hey Dane, guess what...

Cotton

Staff member
This makes me a little more certain it is complete bullshit as some teams are throwing it out there his knee is shot to push him down to them.

Hey, this guy's knee is gravel...hey Dane, guess what...
Yeah, sure seems like it. Again, I would take him at 60 without blinking.

Top Bottom