Huguenin - UCLA's Hundley worked out for Dallas

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
UCLA's Brett Hundley worked out for Dallas Cowboys
By Mike Huguenin
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: April 17, 2015 at 09:07 a.m.

The Dallas Cowboys, who haven't drafted a quarterback since 2009, could be in the market for one in this draft and had a private workout with UCLA's Brett Hundley on Thursday.

NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport reported the news. Cowboys starter Tony Romo turns 35 next week, on April 21.

Dallas has drafted just three quarterbacks in the past 25 years -- Bill Musgrave in 1991, Quincy Carter in 2001 and Stephen McGee in 2009; Carter was a second-rounder, and the other two were fourth-rounders. Hundley looks to be a second- or third-rounder.

Dallas' current backup quarterback isBrandon Weeden, who washed out in Cleveland after being a first-round pick in 2012.

Hundley (6-foot-3, 226 pounds) racked up a school-record 11,677 total yards and threw a school-record 75 TD passes. He is a good athlete with a nice arm and is adept at running the read-option. But he lacks awareness and poise in the pocket and takes a ton of sacks for a guy with his mobility. That he hasn't shown he can be a pocket passer should scare the Cowboys and most NFL teams. Can he become one? Certainly. And if he does end up in Dallas, he likely would have at least a year or two to sit and learn about being an NFL quarterback.

Among Hundley's other recent visits: Arizona, Cincinnati, Houston, the New York Jets, Philadelphia and San Diego.

While Romo's increasing age likely causes some angst in the Cowboys' front office, quarterback is not necessarily a need position in this draft. Cornerback, running back and help on the defensive front are the top three needs, and taking Hundley -- or any quarterback -- on the first two days of the draft obviously would lessen the chances of Dallas getting an instant-impact rookie at the other positions.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think these QB visits are a smoke screen unless someone they have a 2nd round grade on plummets to the 4th.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Insane they ignore better QB classes for several years and now suddenly when one of the worst ones is on us, they decide to get all interested.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Insane they ignore better QB classes for several years and now suddenly when one of the worst ones is on us, they decide to get all interested.
No kidding, I swear we have looked at every draftable QB prospects after the top 2.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is not a year to try to find a top flight QB.

Stars

DCC 4Life
In related news, Ian Rapoport is a douche guzzler.

Carl

RIP Brother
I want absolutely no part of Hundley. He has almost no instincts in the pocket and takes a ton of sacks/ hits.

hstour

Brand New Member
This is not a year to try to find a top flight QB.
I think this is the year to take a flyer on a 3rd-6th round pick. See if you can hit on someone that can compete with Vaughn & Weeden to be the backup this year and can continue to grow next year.

If he is successful this year, he can compete with a 1st - 3rd round pick next year. That's when you really need to hit on a QB. When you can let Romo go without a huge hit. You've go Romo this year and next due to the contract.

And next year's class is expected to be much better.

D

Deuce

I think this is the year to take a flyer on a 3rd-6th round pick. See if you can hit on someone that can compete with Vaughn & Weeden to be the backup this year and can continue to grow next year.

If he is successful this year, he can compete with a 1st - 3rd round pick next year. That's when you really need to hit on a QB. When you can let Romo go without a huge hit. You've go Romo this year and next due to the contract.

Is it?

Cook is great, but we won't be bad enough to get him. Hackenberg has been inconsistent and needs to get better. Hogan us pretty much the same. Maybe Gunner Kiel in the mid rounds could work out, but there's nobody else that would excite me. It's a very too heavy class like this one. The depth is mediocre.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I wouldn't waste that pick this year on a flyer. To much help in needed on the defense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Notice they are dredging the bottom of the pool. In no way is this the search for Romo's successor.

They need competition and depth. What if Dallas ends up being this year's Arizona with body-bags at the QB position?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Notice they are dredging the bottom of the pool. In no way is this the search for Romo's successor.

They need competition and depth. What if Dallas ends up being this year's Arizona with body-bags at the QB position?
I'd say they are dredging the entire pool. Basically every QB that could be drafted after the top 10 of the draft. I'm really glad we are doing our due diligence when it comes to the most important position in football. We are doing our best not to miss out on the next Tom Brady or Russel Wilson.

I just hope it isn't a sign that we will force a QB pick in this draft no matter what.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

They are scouting pretty much every QB not named Winston and Mariotta. That's not dredging the bottom of the pool. They honestly appear like they are serious about it. It is just insane it happens in a year that almost is universally regarded as one of the worst in a decade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are scouting pretty much every QB not named Winston and Mariotta. That's not dredging the bottom of the pool. They honestly appear like they are serious about it. It is just insane it happens in a year that almost is universally regarded as one of the worst in a decade.
You don't know it sucks until you seriously look. Nothing wrong with that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You don't know it sucks until you seriously look. Nothing wrong with that.
They are going to serious expense and effort though. I think they are serious and in a bad class like this, it is troubling. It means they either don't know what the hell they are looking for or they feel anxious at the wrong time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They are going to serious expense and effort though. I think they are serious and in a bad class like this, it is troubling. It means they either don't know what the hell they are looking for or they feel anxious at the wrong time.
Yeah this is not the crop you want to get serious about a future starting QB.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

Not really. As previously mentioned, Cook is pretty good, but none of the other prospects look that great. It'll be a pretty mediocre class next year as well, IMO.

D

Deuce

We're taking Bryce Petty in the 3rd, IMO. If he had red hair, I think it would be in the 2nd.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We're taking Bryce Petty in the 3rd, IMO. If he had red hair, I think it would be in the 2nd.
If I am forced to choose between both project QBs, I think Petty is who I would pick. I actually prefer Grayson to both.

If you are looking for a ginger QB, it is Connor Halliday then.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Impeccably shitty timing. A little late to be looking to the future, Romo is
a few hits away from permanent disability. And the cupboard is bare of talent.

Top Bottom