Archer: Cowboys cap space not as it seems

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys cap space not as it seems

Todd Archer, ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

IRVING, Texas -- According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Dallas Cowboys have $12.485 million in salary cap space.

Among NFC East teams, that’s the most space available. The New York Giants have $8.784 million, followed by the Washington Redskins ($7.135 million) and the Philadelphia Eagles ($6.654 million). League-wide, the Cowboys come in at 15th in cap space.

The “abundance” of space came from last week’s restructure of Tony Romo’s contract that opened up $12.8 million in room and allowed them to sign linebacker Rolando McClain.

Of course, what might look like an “abundance” of cap space is actually not a lot of cap space.

The $8.09 million due for Greg Hardy’s roster bonuses are not counted in the total. The Cowboys will need the room on a week-to-week basis after Hardy is on the 53-man roster for two games. A possible suspension would save them $578,125 in cap room each week, but the Cowboys have to account for the full room now.

They also need about $1.7 million in cap space for their draft picks, should they hold on to all seven picks in the upcoming draft. When the season starts, all 53 contracts count toward the cap as opposed to the top 51 contracts counting now. That’s another $1 million off the books.

Add in another $1 million for the practice squad players, count on some other injury settlements and some room to sign players during the season, and you can pretty much see what looks like $12.485 million in space today is really not enough room for when the season starts.

Where can they get more cap room? A long-term deal for Dez Bryant, which does not look likely right now so he does not count $12.823 million against the cap or the release of or a re-done deal for cornerback Brandon Carr, who is set to count $12.717 million against the cap.

~Berman head swing~ Fisher?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Cowboys cap space not as it seems

Todd Archer, ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

IRVING, Texas -- According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Dallas Cowboys have $12.485 million in salary cap space.

Among NFC East teams, that’s the most space available. The New York Giants have $8.784 million, followed by the Washington Redskins ($7.135 million) and the Philadelphia Eagles ($6.654 million). League-wide, the Cowboys come in at 15th in cap space.

The “abundance” of space came from last week’s restructure of Tony Romo’s contract that opened up $12.8 million in room and allowed them to sign linebacker Rolando McClain.

Of course, what might look like an “abundance” of cap space is actually not a lot of cap space.

The $8.09 million due for Greg Hardy’s roster bonuses are not counted in the total. The Cowboys will need the room on a week-to-week basis after Hardy is on the 53-man roster for two games. A possible suspension would save them $578,125 in cap room each week, but the Cowboys have to account for the full room now.

They also need about $1.7 million in cap space for their draft picks, should they hold on to all seven picks in the upcoming draft. When the season starts, all 53 contracts count toward the cap as opposed to the top 51 contracts counting now. That’s another $1 million off the books.

Add in another $1 million for the practice squad players, count on some other injury settlements and some room to sign players during the season, and you can pretty much see what looks like $12.485 million in space today is really not enough room for when the season starts.

Where can they get more cap room? A long-term deal for Dez Bryant, which does not look likely right now so he does not count $12.823 million against the cap or the release of or a re-done deal for cornerback Brandon Carr, who is set to count $12.717 million against the cap.

~Berman head swing~ Fisher?
More like making Carr a June 1st cut.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
More like making Carr a June 1st cut.
Why? You don't need that much cap space. I mean I guess it doesn't really matter since whatever you don't use in that additional cap space will just carry over until next year.

If you cut Carr I think it's about the long term savings. Not really about what you will save against this upcoming years cap. I'd be more apt to see if some of our guys get cut during camp. Odds are some vets will get the axe during preseason to free up some room. We don't have to worry about Hardy's money until the season starts.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Why? You don't need that much cap space. I mean I guess it doesn't really matter since whatever you don't use in that additional cap space will just carry over until next year.

If you cut Carr I think it's about the long term savings. Not really about what you will save against this upcoming years cap. I'd be more apt to see if some of our guys get cut during camp. Odds are some vets will get the axe during preseason to free up some room. We don't have to worry about Hardy's money until the season starts.
And it's not like Carr is terrible, it's just he's average and getting paid like a superstar.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And you give yourself some flexibility to let the pro scouts hopefully work their magic and scrape up a replacement if a guy who can contribute comes available. Honestly this wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't kicked Moore to the curb.

Top Bottom