Cowboys sign McClain

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Can't post the twitter post from Ed Werder cause I'm on my phone, but he says it's a 3 mill base deal with another million in play time incentives.

Doesn't say what the length is, but that sounds like a 1 year deal.

I'm glad we signed him because it's one less hole we have to fill. I just hope he looks more like the guy from the first half of the season than the second half, and of course I hope he plays more this time around.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Not sure if April Fool's Joke.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Not sure if April Fool's Joke.
It's on the front of the ESPN.com site, so I doubt it.

Plus, this isn't big enough news to joke about. AP coming to the Cowboys definitely would've made me wonder, but not this.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Also, the guy who probably played the best overall out of McClain, Durant, and Carter is the one who got paid the least.

Teams just don't trust him, and rightfully so.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Good. Glad to have him. The offseason is shaping up nicely so far.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Sure he tailed off at the end of the season, but he wasn't even in football shape. He attacks the football and that's something the rest of the defense can feed off of. Glad they ended up signing him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The only drag is if I wonder if this makes them shy away from a good group of ILBs.

It shouldn't since it is a one year deal, but you never know.

D

Deuce

I hope McClain and Hardy are roommates on the road. This could be an epic meltdown getting them close to each other.

Newt

DCC 4Life
This is a good thing, even if its only one year. It's just one step closer to being free to take best available in the draft.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I love this signing. The defense is going to be nasty next season.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I like signings like this and Hardy - reasonable, short-term contracts on talented but flawed starters designed to serve as stop-gap/placeholders to give you the flexibility not to have to draft for need. It's a calculated risk, but at least it appears to be part of a strategy.

Cotton

Staff member
Especially when we draft that kick ass yee haw CB by trading up in the first.
I should have qualified that by saying the front 7 will be nasty this year.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I should have qualified that by saying the front 7 will be nasty this year.
Also qualify that by saying after game 6 when they are on the field after their suspensions and if McClain and Lee can stay healthy.

Cotton

Staff member
Also qualify that by saying after game 6 when they are on the field after their suspensions and if McClain and Lee can stay healthy.
I have qualified once, and refuse to do so again. Good day, sir!

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Especially when we draft that kick ass yee haw CB by trading up in the first.
You joke, but I could see Dallas drafting a CB in the first. It's a need position and crazily overpriced in FA, so that points to the draft as a potential solution.

And we keep saying Dallas refuses to take 1-technique DL in the 1st...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You joke, but I could see Dallas drafting a CB in the first. It's a need position and crazily overpriced in FA, so that points to the draft as a potential solution.

And we keep saying Dallas refuses to take 1-technique DL in the 1st...
We have discussed CB being a possibility. Now we are trying to come to grips that we could trade up for one so if we do trade up it won't be such a shock to the system.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only drag is if I wonder if this makes them shy away from a good group of ILBs.

It shouldn't since it is a one year deal, but you never know.
With Jasper Brinkley and McClain I don't know if they'd consider a third inside LBer. I know I wouldn't hesitate to cut Brinkley and I know you wouldn't, but we gave him a signing bonus which means he probably isn't going anywhere this year. So if we draft a guy it's going to have to be someone the coaches feel can play inside and out.

Top Bottom