Archer: Should Cowboys look at Orlando Scandrick's contract?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Should Cowboys look at Orlando Scandrick's contract?

March, 20, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Earlier this week the New Orleans Saints adjusted the contract of cornerbackKeenan Lewis, a stalwart on a defense that lacks a lot of them.

The Saints guaranteed $10.45 million of the $13.05 million he was set to receive over the next three years, making their best cornerback happy and solidifying at least a part of their defense.

So what about Orlando Scandrick?

He is the Dallas Cowboys' best cornerback, yet has the third-highest cap figure in the group behind Brandon Carr ($12.7 million) and Morris Claiborne ($5.17 million). The Cowboys are attempting to get Carr to accept a pay cut, but there is nothing they can do to change Claiborne's fully guaranteed contract as the No. 6 pick in the 2012 draft.

Scandrick is set to make $10.5 million over the next four seasons, a relative pittance for a team's best cornerback. Last week, Scandrick's $1.5 million base salary became fully guaranteed, and his $3 million base salary in 2016 is guaranteed for injury only now. It becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2016 league year.

Like the Saints, the Cowboys don't have many stalwarts on defense. Scandrick is near the top of the list with players such as Sean Lee and Tyrone Crawford. Newly-signed defensive end Greg Hardy is there as well, but it's not clear how many games he will play in 2015 with a possible suspension looming.

Lewis is 28 and has been in the league since 2009. Scandrick is 28 and has been in the league since 2008. Lewis has seven career interceptions. Scandrick has seven career interceptions.

The Cowboys have only so many ways to be creative with the salary cap after signing Hardy. According to ESPN Stats & Information, they have roughly $1.98 million in cap room after the Hardy deal.

They can create room by restructuring Tony Romo's contract, reaching a long-term deal with Dez Bryant, or by either cutting Carr or getting him to agree to a pay cut. The easiest road right now is Romo's deal.

Despite drawing a line on DeMarco Murray in contract talks, the Cowboys take care of their own. They have given Scandrick three deals over the years, and he has met the expectations -- if not exceeded them.

It might be time to do for him what the Saints did for Lewis.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you take a risk by signing a guy long term who isn't a big time player in your defense. He ends up being a big time player and now suddenly you're supposed to pay him more? Sure, I'll do that as soon as players who don't live up to their contracts automatically reduce them. Looking at Brandon Carr and Claiborne right now...

dallen

Senior Tech
The reason you sign him to that contract in the first place is that you hope for this situation. This article is stupid

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The reason you sign him to that contract in the first place is that you hope for this situation. This article is stupid
:lol

No shit.

That is exactly why we signed him to this deal, and the exact reason why we signed Ratliff to his first extension at the time that we did - so that we would avoid having to deal with the major payday.

Unlike Ratliff, though, I don't think we'll be rewarding Scandrick for nothing and putting ourselves in a bind down the road.

What a stupid article.

Cotton

Staff member
I think we should give all over our overperforming players raises. Just for the hell of it. Such a smart move.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We should probably just give Zack Martin his 10 million per year deal now, fuck the 3 years remaining on his rookie deal.

shoop

Semi-contributing member

Like the Saints, the Cowboys don't have many stalwarts on defense. Scandrick is near the top of the list with players such as Sean Lee and Tyrone Crawford.
I think he needs he needs to look at his dictionary and Sean Lees career again. Stalwart is defined as loyal, reliable, and hardworking. You can't be reliable when you are injured frequently. I admire Lee when he is on the field. Not sure the word Stalwart applies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We should just move to a performance based compensation system and screw free agency.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We should just move to a performance based compensation system and screw free agency.
I have been an advocate of that for sometimenow. Private business thrives on that system but i t will be harx to get the players union to buy into it. The player agents will also balk at this type of system as a benchmark compensation plan.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If that were ever to happen, you'd see the end of disciplined, team football. At least on defense, anyway. Everyone would be out to get sacks, INTs, etc... Nobody would be playing inside the framework of the defense, only looking out for themselves.

Probably see it on offense, too. The RBs and WRs would constantly be screaming for the ball.

Cotton

Staff member
If that were ever to happen, you'd see the end of disciplined, team football. At least on defense, anyway. Everyone would be out to get sacks, INTs, etc... Nobody would be playing inside the framework of the defense, only looking out for themselves.

Probably see it on offense, too. The RBs and WRs would constantly be screaming for the ball.
Yeah, no doubt. No way it would ever work and still maintain the integrity of the game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So let's do this.

• 4 year contracts -- no salaries -- teams could opt out
  • Players acquired through a College Draft, Pro Draft, street FA's, and trades.
  • Injured list works only as long as players are injured -- independent doctors -- injured list salary pre-set
  • NFLPA determines the injured compensation and minimum salaries before each year
  • NFLPA splits up 60% NFL net income as year-end bonus pay based on performance and draft(s) position
  • Pro Draft
  • Before College Draft
  • Veteran players have right to refuse any pro draft selection three times.
  • A refusal puts the selecting team back on the clock at the same pick.
  • A single pick can't be refused by more than three players.
  • Teams could extend two expiring contracts each year before the pro draft as long as the players agree.
  • Teams could extend an additional expiring contract each year of a player they drafted as long as the player agrees.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Not if winning was part of the performance base...

Hell guys already receive performance base compensation. It's why Greg Hardy will make a whole bunch more money next year if he can reach a certain amount of sacks.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

You have a valid point because afterall it is a team occupation but i think incentives could be based on team accomplishments. Base salaries would have to be considered but guarenteed money would and should be the target to be overhauled. Individual incenatives would need to be completely rethought as to whether it should be considered at all.

Cotton

Staff member

Hell guys already receive performance base compensation. It's why Greg Hardy will make a whole bunch more money next year if he can reach a certain amount of sacks.
The performance part of their salaries is generally a very small part of it. If you make it the majority of it you will see what NoDak described above.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The performance part of their salaries is generally a very small part of it. If you make it the majority of it you will see what NoDak described above.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think players already play selfishly for the most part. They all want to make the INT. They all want to get the sack. They all want to carry the ball more or see the ball thrown their direction more.

There is no way you will ever see a performance based pay system but I don't think it would somehow ruin the game either as long as the performance pay is weighted correctly.

D

Deuce

The only people who get performance based stipulations are guys with major injury history, off the field concerns that may prevent them from missing games (Hardy included) or guys trying to hang on to their last chance in the league. You're average player who is in his prime will never get a deal like that because demand is too high for them. When average CBs liek Devon House get $6M/yr, he isn't forced to take an incentive deal from someone else.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
he isn't forced to take an incentive deal from someone else.
What I'm saying is that he has incentive clauses built into his deal regardless. You don't think his contracts have boosts for INT's or Probowl appearances or making the All-Pro Team? I'm sure there are still incentives in his contract. It's pretty standard.

D

Deuce

What I'm saying is that he has incentive clauses built into his deal regardless. You don't think his contracts have boosts for INT's or Probowl appearances or making the All-Pro Team? I'm sure there are still incentives in his contract. It's pretty standard.
Sure, but what is it? An extra $200k for a Pro Bowl? When you already have a $6M base plus signing bonus, that incentive doesn't really mean too much.

Top Bottom