Machota - Jones: Cowboys making decisions based on Romo being QB for next 5 years

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Cowboys making decisions based on Tony Romo being QB for next 5 years

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com

Published: February 21, 2015 3:07 pm

INDIANAPOLIS – Jerry Jones was in a story-telling mood Saturday, sitting on his personnel Cowboys bus as the snow fell outside of Lucas Oil Stadium.

The Cowboys owner and general manager recalled a time not long ago when Tony Romo was sitting on the same bus, discussing the future of the franchise.

Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones, head coach Jason Garrett and tight end Jason Witten were also aboard the luxury vehicle.

“It was pretty late at night,” Jones recalled. “Wee hours of the morning. And [Romo] said, ‘Jerry, see Stephen, he’s got himself about 25-30 years of this ahead. Jason, coach, maybe something similar to that. Me, I’m 3 to 5. You’re 3 to 5. We got to stick together. It’s now for us.’”

Jones began to laugh.

“He said we got to stick together because these guys are not on the same timeframe,” Jones added. “It’s not for us. Of course he was saying, as we make these decisions, we were talking personnel, we were talking about our team and as we make these decisions, make them so that they are meaningful right now.

“Certainly Tony’s excellence, the way he played this year, that coupled with where he is with his career give us every reason to make our decisions based upon now. I weight it that way.”

Does that mean Jones really believes Romo has 3-5 more years left as the team’s starting quarterback?

“I certainly do, from a skill standpoint, feel good about where we are because of him at quarterback,” Jones responded. “We know that the backup is key. … I do think we need to improve what we do if Tony is not in there – and he wouldn’t be in there because of injury. But I feel very comfortable, to the main part of your question, with a five-year time frame. I feel very comfortable with that.

“When I say comfortable: I’m ready to make decisions based on him being our quarterback that far into the future. That’s what I mean by comfortable. I’m not going to look into the crystal ball with you and tell you he’s not going to have down days over the next five years – I can’t do that. But I can tell you I’m comfortable, and I’m going to make decisions based on him being here.”

p1_

DCC 4Life
Foolish, pure and simple.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Foolish, pure and simple.
I get it with this season. But give it a year, yeah, you better start thinking about Tony's mortality.

I think they let his excellent season get in the way of his injuries. He was not healthy most of the year and they had to rest him extensively to ensure he could go each week.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
When Jerry starts being "comfortable".... bad things start to happen.

townsend

Banned
I think Romo can keep going for 3-5 years unless he gets a serious injury. Warner played until age 37, Gannon until he was 39, Jeff Garcia played great all the way into 2008 when he was 38. Brad Johnson played well for the Vikings in 2006 in 06. Hell Brady is shining up a new and pretty SB ring at age 37.

If the line keeps Romo from getting murdered, and he continues to end seasons like this one (without having surgery), I don't see why he couldn't keep going.

p1_

DCC 4Life
his back will not allow him 3-5 more years, given that there are a handful of games where some DC overwhelms our oline. Romo is good to be hammered for 2,3 games a year at least. That's my concern. And he can't survive too many more. Recall if you will...

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You joke but there is reason for a certain level of panic given the shit that was brought in after we waited too long to draft Aikman's replacement.

Cotton

Staff member
Not real sure how to feel right now. We will see if he follows through with that thought.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not real sure how to feel right now. We will see if he follows through with that thought.
It is a nice thought but looking at the free agent crop and the draft class, I fail to see how we could possibly upgrade, scary as that sounds.

Cotton

Staff member
It is a nice thought but looking at the free agent crop and the draft class, I fail to see how we could possibly upgrade, scary as that sounds.
There always is Colt McCoy. Much better than Weeden.

townsend

Banned
There always is Colt McCoy. Much better than Weeden.
I agree with that. Colt seems like a guy who's done good work with really shitty teams. I think he could do some great things with all the weapons we have here, and behind this line. It's kind of dumb-founding how bad Weeden was.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You joke but there is reason for a certain level of panic given the shit that was brought in after we waited too long to draft Aikman's replacement.
Yeah, and we never used to draft olinemen, either.

Think I'll hold off on panicking for a bit.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, and we never used to draft olinemen, either.

Think I'll hold off on panicking for a bit.
One small step at a time, right?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Free agency is perfect for finding a backup QB.

If you draft one, go all out with the intent of replacing Romo as soon as possible. Don't wait for a half-assed attempt in the 4th round.

With the improved team around him, I also think Romo plays at a high level for at least 2 more seasons, and that's way too far ahead to start thinking replacement.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
This is a stupid game plan. The last couple of seasons, I've cringed just about any time a defender has gotten within arm's length of Romo and I find it hard to believe that they think he's got 5 years left when we would be lucky to get two out of him.

I agree with Iamtdg, this hearkens back to the way the QB position was handled when it was clear that Troy was on the downside of his career and wouldn't be able to take the pounding much more. Romo's even a little bit older than Troy was when he went down for the last time.

Top Bottom