28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Updated with Dallas Day participants.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bulldog standout Jakar Hamilton trying to make the draft

April 09, 2013 3:15 am • By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer

Playing football games in Arizona, Texas and Indiana this past season helped South Carolina State defensive back Jakar Hamilton become well-accustomed to long distance trips around the country.

The frequent flyer miles continue to add up for the University of Georgia transfer as he seeks to impress prospective NFL teams. The past week has seen Hamilton hop on flights destined to three different states to visit with the Dallas Cowboys, followed by San Diego and this past Monday in Green Bay.

At each visit, Hamilton has come away more optimistic about his chances of becoming the fourth straight former S.C. State player selected in the NFL draft which runs this year April 25-27 in New York City.

“In the film room, when we were going over plays, they were pretty impressed about my knowledge of the game at my craft which is being a free safety,” said Hamilton in a telephone interview from Green Bay, Wisc. “Just knowing what to do and showing them I know my craft and I know how to play and I know how to explain it. As far as special teams goes, I’ve been a kick returner, a kickoff returner and a punt returner, so that kind of helps playing a role. The fact they’ve gave me feedback with the way I’ve been performing in the interviews and being a people person has been a positive.”

Hamilton was the most sought Bulldog by scouts during the school’s Pro Day March 27 and posted the fastest time in the 40-yard dash (4.51 seconds) and 60-yard shuffle (11.14 seconds). As many as 11 teams reportedly expressed interest in Hamilton, although he plans to visit only six prior to the draft.

The one challenge Hamilton has faced during his trips is not getting star-struck by the surroundings. From meeting Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones face to face to touring legendary Lambeau Field, Hamilton said those moments have made impressions which will last beyond his football days.

“Jerry Jones alone, just his appearance, has an effect on you because Jerry Jones is not only worth so much money, he has a great personality,” he said. “He looks you straight in the eye, man to man, and he respected me as a person and a player as I told my story and how I got here in this position (after leaving Georgia for S.C. State). He congratulated on working hard in getting in this position that I’m in now. After telling him what I went through and been through to get here, he congratulated me and told me to keep working hard and stay out of trouble.”

While inundated by questions about family history from pro scouts during the whole draft process, Hamilton said the main concerns he’s tried to assuage pertained to his health and ability to comprehend the playbook. When asked about a future NFL location, Hamilton said his primary focus is just “getting into” the league.

Hamilton’s NFL quest continues today in New York where he’ll meet with the Jets. He’ll then meet with Washington team officials before closing out his tour of NFL teams April 15 in Houston, Texas and heading home to his native town of Johnston to wait on the potential call.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Texas WR and speedy Olympian Marquise Goodwin adds firepower to Dallas Day workouts

Texas receiver Marquise Goodwin tweeted Tuesday night that he would be among the participants in the annual Dallas Day workouts at the Cowboys' Valley Ranch headquarters on Wednesday.

Goodwin is from Garland and attended Rowlett High School. He recorded the fastest time at the NFl combine in the 40-yard dash and is considered a mid-to-late round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft because of raw skills as a receiver.

Goodwin played football at Texas while also competing in track where he made the 2012 Olympics in the long jump.

Among the prospects who played in high school or college in Dallas area expected to attend the workous are defensive end Margus Hunt and running back Zach Line of SMU, receiver Josh Boyce, running back Matthew Tucker, tight end Corey Fuller, defensive end Stansley Maponga and guard Blaize Foltz of TCU, running back Eric Stephens and wide receiver Darrin Moore of Texas Tech, wide receivers Lanear Sampson and Terrance Williams of Baylor, safety Stephen Terrell and receiver Uzoma Nwachukwu of Texas A&M, quarterback Kyle Padron of Eastern Washington and defensive tackle Casey Walker and defensive end R.J. Washington of Oklahoma.

Clarence Hill

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 33m
Plano/SMU's own @blake_mcjunkin also expected to be at Dallas Day, joining teammates Line, Hunt & others. About as local as it gets!

I hope this guy makes it for his name alone. McJunkin.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Local prospects in town for Dallas Day have one thing in common: They would love to play for the Cowboys

Local prospects at Dallas Day didn’t know what to expect when they arrived at Cowboys Stadium on Wednesday. But they didn’t expect what they got -- to dress in the team’s locker room and wear the team’s practice jerseys.
“I was very surprised,” TCU tight end Corey Fuller said. “Right when we walked in, they said, ‘Find your locker room.’ I was kind of blown away. It was just amazing. I was expecting to go in there kind of like our Pro Day, wearing my own stuff, but we wore all Dallas Cowboys’ gear. I was really excited about that.”

Fuller and Horned Frog teammates Skye Dawson, Matthew Tucker, Blaize Foltz and Stansly Maponga were among those to attend the Cowboys’ annual Dallas Day for local players who played high school or college football in the DFW area.

Texas receiver Marquise Goodwin and Texas A&M defensive end Damontre Moore were among the biggest names invited by the Cowboys. Goodwin is an Olympian rated as a third-rounder, while Moore could be a first-round choice. Baylor receiver Lanear Sampson, Oklahoma offensive lineman Lane Taylor, Eastern Washington quarterback Kyle Padron, Texas A&M safety Steven Terrell, Wyoming safety Luke Anderson, Kansas cornerback Greg Brown and Texas A&M receiver Uzoma Nwachukwu were among others invited.

Fuller and Furman’s Colin Anderson, a Dallas native, were the only tight ends, so they got one-on-one work with new tight ends coach Wes Phillips.

Owner Jerry Jones entertained the prospects with a short pep talk.

“He was cracking jokes left and right,” Fuller said. “He said he liked what he saw today, and that we weren’t here by mistake. He still thinks he can get out there and mix it up with all of us, too.”

Most of the prospects have one thing in common: Having grown up or spent time in DFW, they would love to stay here and get a chance to make the Cowboys' roster.

“It would be a good situation for me,” said Foltz, one of six offensive linemen the Cowboys worked out Wednesday. “I could get to see my brother play on Saturdays some. I know the area and the people. It’s home.”

-- Charean Williams

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys One Of Two Teams Visited By Former Mich State RB

Posted 4 hours ago

Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Le’Veon Bell could fit the Cowboys’ need for a bruiser as backup running back, capable of handling a full load at any point.

That’s why the Cowboys are one of two teams, along with the Jets, that the former Michigan State star running back said he’s visited so far. Bell was one of 30 players to take a pre-draft visit with the Cowboys.

“The running backs coach (Gary Brown) was very impressed,” Bell said on 105.3 FM The Fan. “He loved the way I can catch the ball. He loves the way I move, especially being a bigger guy. He loves the way I can get in and out of my cuts. I did my thing at Pro Day and in my individual workouts with the Cowboys, and I’m going to continue to impress.”

Bell made his first trip to see the Cowboys facilities this offseason and said he had a great two-day visit, describing the stadium as “unbelievable.” He talked to owner/general manager Jerry Jones, as well as executive vice president Stephen Jones and head coach Jason Garrett.

“They said they want another guy there to be a No. 2 guy who can eventually compete for a starting job,” Bell said. “They said basically they want two starting running backs. That’s what they’re looking for, and I feel like I can bring that to any team in the NFL.”

Bell, who ran for 1,793 yards last year, is on most draft boards as a third or fourth round pick, but he’s been told he could go even higher. He said he’s heard he could even jump into the first round, because of everything he can add to a team.

“I’m the biggest guy of all the backs, probably, height and weight, I can catch the ball out of the backfield just as good as any back,” he said. “I can get tough yardage just as good, if not better, than any back. There’s a lot of things that I can bring to a team. I played a lot of special teams, punt returner, kick returner. There’s a lot of things I can bring to a team, so much value. I’m a bigger guy, so pass protection would be a big plus for me, being able to block bigger linebackers and defensive ends at times.”

The running back grew up in Ohio, but he always watched former Jets running back Curtis Martin, even though his family consisted mostly of Steelers fans.

The Steelers and Jets are among the teams that have shown interest in Bell, along with the Cowboys, Colts and Texans. But Bell, who has friends who are Cowboys fans, doesn’t have a preference in his location or his role. He just wants an opportunity.

“I’m OK with whatever role,” Bell said. “I just want to get drafted and get into camp and compete. Once I compete, I just want a fair chance.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Demetrius Harris makes late entry into draft pool[/h]Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2013, 4:56 PM EDT

As teams look anywhere and everywhere for talent, a potential tight end prospect is coming as much out of nowhere as any incoming football player ever will.

According to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, former UW-Milwaukee basketball player Demetrius Harris has attracted interest from a dozen teams, less than a month after wrapping up his on-court career.

“Things are happening very quickly for Demetrius,” coach Rob Jeter said. “Like I told all the [NFL] coaches, if you want him to shoot free throws, that’s not your man. But if you want him to catch a football, he can do that.”

Chiefs G.M. John Dorsey caught wind of Harris in 2011. “I put him on my Franklin day calendar to explore this guy two years down the road,” Dorsey said. “That’s what I did, and there he is.”

In a workout for the Chiefs earlier this month, Harris ran the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds, jumped 36.5 inches vertically and 10 feet, two inches horizontally.

The six-foot, seven-inch Harris initially signed to play football at Arkansas State, but he failed to qualify academically. He played basketball at a community college for two years, and then he turned down another offer from Arkansas State to return to football.

Harris has visited the Chiefs, and he’s due to visit the Ravens and Cowboys on Sunday and Monday, respectively.

His draft stock will be determined in large part by his Pro Day workout, which takes place on April 20. At least nine teams are expected to attend.

He’s not likely to get drafted, but he’ll get a chance as a free agent. Just like Antonio Gates once did.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 11m
“@jonathanotiker: @BryanBroaddus do you like JJ Wilcox?” If they don't take a safety early, I believe he's a Cowboy.

Top Bottom