Archer - Stephen Jones: When it comes to DeMarco Murray, everything counts

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones: When it comes to DeMarco Murray, everything counts

February, 17, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Dallas Cowboys are going through mountains of statistical data when it comes to what to do with free-agent running back DeMarco Murray.

"It's difficult," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. "He's a great player. He's, in my opinion, a better man off the field in terms of the way he goes about his business, and so all of those things are difficult. As we all know running backs are a difficult position in terms of how [they] are valued. So there's a lot of things we'll have to evaluate as we make the ultimate decision as to what our number can be with DeMarco verses what somebody else's number may be. At some point he'll have to make a business decision, which no one will respect more than us. I mean Jerry and myself have nothing but the greatest respect for what he's been as a person and player in our organization."

Jones did not mean to imply the Cowboys won't be able to make a competitive offer for Murray with the "business decision" comment, but the team will have a limit as to where it wants to go on a long-term contract for the NFL's reigning rushing champ.

Murray has said on multiple occasions he wants to remain with the Cowboys and believes the Cowboys want to keep him. The team will meet with Murray's agent this week in Indianapolis in an attempt to work out a deal before free agency begins March 10.

Murray also said he wants to play for a team that can compete for a Super Bowl and his decision would not be solely about money. The Indianapolis Colts could be a team that offers the chance to win and make a lot of money. They went to the AFC Championship Game in 2014 and have close to $40 million in cap room.

Murray ran for 1,845 yards on 392 carries, setting franchise records in both categories. He also scored 13 touchdowns. Coach Jason Garrett called Murray the heartbeat of the team for how the team's style of play changed in 2014.

He turned 27 last week.

The Cowboys did not have qualms about paying Marion Barber all those years even as he got older, but they were burned in 2008 when they signed him to a seven-year, $45 million deal with $22.5 million guaranteed.

Barber's level of play tailed off badly and he was cut after the 2010 season.

"Everything comes into play: what backs historically do, how many backs go on and play well after they're 27, which ones consistently do it from start to finish," Jones said. "I mean obviously the day Emmitt [Smith] walked in the league he was at the top of the rung. ...He consistently did it. He consistently did it after his second contract and he kept on. So those are the things you've got to weigh.

"There's no easy answer on those things, but we'll put it all together and make a good decision."

Top Bottom