Jon Stewart Leaving 'The Daily Show'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jon Stewart Leaving ‘The Daily Show’

Variety Staff

54 mins ago

  

Jon Stewart said he would step down from Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show” after 17 years, leaving a new hole in the ranks of late-night television and setting up another challenge for the Viacom-owned cable network, which recently bid farewell to popular time-slot host, Stephen Colbert.

Stewart’s current contract is believed to end around the fall of 2015, and he is expected to stay until that time.

The news is not entirely surprising. Stewart. 52, had discussed the possibility of leaving “The Daily Show” while promoting “Rosewater,” a film that marked his directorial debut. And yet, his departure means that the backbone of Comedy Central’s lineup is looser than it has been in some time. The network in January launched “The Nightly Show,” starring producer and writer Larry Wilmore, as a successor to Colbert’s “Colbert Report,” which ended in December. Colbert will succeed David Letterman on CBS’ “Late Show” later this year.

Comedy Central executives have quietly been planning for his exit. “I don’t like to think about the day that Jon leaves, but there will be a day. The show will live on. It is a franchise, like the ‘Tonight Show,'” Michele Ganeless, Comedy Central’s president told Variety in December. “We’ll figure it out when we get there. He has set the standard. We will identify talent, and hopefully, we will find the next Jon Stewart.”

Stewart’s departure represents another kind of loss for Comedy Central. He played a key role in discovering and promoting new talent. Indeed, Colbert and Wilmore were contributors to Stewart’s program before he brought them to the attention of network executives as talent that could anchor their own programs. Stewart is a producer of “Nightly.” He also gets some credit for the rise of John Oliver, the British comedian who recently moved to HBO after a successful stint filling in for Stewart while he worked on his movie.

more to come…

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
It's not a "franchise like The Tonight Show." As they will soon find out. Without Stewart this show bites the sand.

D

Deuce

It's not a "franchise like The Tonight Show." As they will soon find out. Without Stewart this show bites the sand.
I don't know about that. Colbert's spinoff was great, Oliver's show is great. They just need to pick another really good former correspondent to take over.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm going to go outside the box and say Adam Scott.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Didn't that show start out with former ESPN anchor Craig Kilgorne?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Jason Jones could be promoted from within.

townsend

Banned
He would be good, so would W. Kamau Bell.

Getting someone with SNL Weekend Update experience would also be great.
I was kinda hoping they'd take a look at John Mulaney. The guy was in line to be the next Update anchor but had the bad fortune of getting a sitcom offer from FOX. The guy does great stand up and that's one of the biggest things you gotta look for in someone who has to not only set up a news story and offer a punch line, but spend a few minutes giving a hot take.

townsend

Banned
I feel that way about Larry Willmore, but he got a job.
True, I didn't think John Oliver had what it takes either. But he's kind of taken the torch and run with it since getting his shot to guest host.

Carp

DCC 4Life
True, I didn't think John Oliver had what it takes either. But he's kind of taken the torch and run with it since getting his shot to guest host.
I think Wilmore might just move up...they seemed to rush his show out fairly quickly, so they might have been seeing how he held up with his own show.

Top Bottom