MacMahon: Bears, Seahawks CBs set standard for Carr, Claiborne

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bears, Seahawks CBs set standard for Carr, Claiborne

May, 17, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Monte Kiffin told his players to study two teams’ defenses from last season: the Chicago Bears and Seattle Seahawks.

A couple of Kiffin disciples (new Dallas defensive line coach Rod Marinelli and newJacksonville Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley) coordinated those two units, which ranked among the NFL’s top five in scoring defense, total defense and turnovers forced.

Another thing the Chicago and Seattle defenses had in common: They featured tough, playmaking cornerbacks. In fact, those were arguably the best two cornerback combos in the league last season.

Chicago’s Tim Jennings led the NFL with nine interceptions. His counterpart, Charles Tillman, forced a league-high 10 fumbles, recovered two and returned all three of his interceptions for touchdowns.

Seattle’s Richard Sherman tied for second behind Jennings with eight picks and tied for second among corners with three forced fumbles. Brandon Browner, the bully who plays opposite of Sherman, also forced three fumbles and had three picks despite missing four games due to a suspension.

See why the Cowboys were so dismissive about the discussion that Kiffin’s scheme didn’t put a premium on cornerbacks?

The corners in Chicago and Seattle set the standard for Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne.

“They’re aggressive. They’re physical. They’re always attacking the ball,” Carr said. “They’re showing press with Seattle. With Chicago, they’re playing the hard Cover 2 scheme, but they’re up there dictating the flow of the receivers. That’s what we want to do. We want to dictate the flow and not let them attack us. We’re going to attack them.”

The Cowboys didn’t get enough of a return on their investments in the corners last season. After giving Carr a five-year, $50 million deal and packaging their top two picks to move up to sixth overall to select Claiborne, the Cowboys’ starting corners combined for only four interceptions, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries in 2012, when Dallas forced the second-fewest turnovers in the NFC.

That’s one of the primary reasons Rob Ryan no longer reports to work at Valley Ranch. As the defense’s injuries stacked up throughout the course of the season, the corners were assigned to play soft zone coverage more frequently, which caused some behind-the-scenes grumbling.

Despite the Tampa 2 tag, the Cowboys will blend in several other looks with the Cover 2 staples. The corners have been told that they’ll consistently be lined up within breath-smelling distance of receivers.

“This defense kind of caters to Claiborne’s and my abilities out there, our traits, our qualities,” Carr said. “It allows us to go up there and press pretty much the whole game. Whether we play Cover 1, Cover 2, Cover 3, you’ll have to find out after the (snap), but it allows us to be aggressive and go out there and dictate the game.”

Are Carr and Claiborne worth the price the Cowboys paid for them? They’ll have a chance to prove they are in a scheme similar to ones that feature star corners in Chicago and Seattle.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's true, the Seahawks did use two big physical CBs in their scheme. Of course we don't have the line the Seahawks have, but I guess it can work.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This is basically what I've been telling people when they say that the Tampa 2 de-emphasizes the CB position, it doesn't. It puts the CBs in a position to make more plays, maximizing the CB position.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Last season the defensive backfield was used as a safety net. Ryan's schemes had then laying back so far they would give up 5 to 8 yards before they would close on the play. It was pathetic.

Lotuseater

Banned
It cant be just any corner, big, physcial or otherwise. You have to have the right players. If the reciever beats the press, with OUR safeties as backup, thats a touchdown most times. Seattle and Chicago both have good safety play.

Seattle has extremely good safety play, which is why they dont mind gambling with their big, physcial corners playing press so much in a 4-3. We dont have that. You may see us start out pressing a buch, but once we get burned a few times it'll be right back to zone, unless our safety play is night and day improved over last year and I missed something.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Our shitty safeties will be the undoing of any defensive progress we think we made.

A huge miscalculation to confirm count on Church and a bunch of nobodies.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It cant be just any corner, big, physcial or otherwise. You have to have the right players. If the reciever beats the press, with OUR safeties as backup, thats a touchdown most times. Seattle and Chicago both have good safety play.

Seattle has extremely good safety play, which is why they dont mind gambling with their big, physcial corners playing press so much in a 4-3. We dont have that. You may see us start out pressing a buch, but once we get burned a few times it'll be right back to zone, unless our safety play is night and day improved over last year and I missed something.
Not pressing is a bad reaction even if the safeties play poorly. I'd rather have my CBs get burned a few times but overall play well than just have them give up the first down every time.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Our shitty safeties will be the undoing of any defensive progress we think we made.

A huge miscalculation to confirm count on Church and a bunch of nobodies.
Until proven otherwise I still count Church as a nobody.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is basically what I've been telling people when they say that the Tampa 2 de-emphasizes the CB position, it doesn't. It puts the CBs in a position to make more plays, maximizing the CB position.
Well I can't say that the Seahawks used their CBs the way that Tampa Bay used theirs in the early 2000s.

Lotuseater

Banned
Ok, to clarify, im not talking about getting burned a "few times", im talking about our current safeties getting torched every time a reciever beats the press gets a jump on the corner. Fast recievers are going to have a field day with the slowness of our safeties. Thats why im hoping Wilcox works out, because for a safety he's fast. Our safeties dont have the athleticism to get over the top and support the corners, and haven't for some time. We need athletes back there, and Wilcox is one of those. lets hope he works out.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Ok, to clarify, im not talking about getting burned a "few times", im talking about our current safeties getting torched every time a reciever beats the press gets a jump on the corner. Fast recievers are going to have a field day with the slowness of our safeties. Thats why im hoping Wilcox works out, because for a safety he's fast. Our safeties dont have the athleticism to get over the top and support the corners, and haven't for some time. We need athletes back there, and Wilcox is one of those. lets hope he works out.
If the safeties get beat every time, why have them out on the field? At that point we might as well put an extra lineman out there to rush and play man-free.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'll believe it when I see it. Despite several promises similar to this, we've been waiting for our CBs to play tighter man-to-man coverage for several years now.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Until proven otherwise I still count Church as a nobody.
What about THE Matt Johnson?

With the way the Cowboys are talking him up, I'm expecting to see a safety who has the best traits of Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott, and Ed Reed.

Anything less than 10 interceptions, 5 sacks, and 140 tackles will be viewed as a huge disappointment.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It is time to revive an old board thing.

From now on he is Matt F'ing Johnson.

Top Bottom