Archer: Cowboys position breakdown: Wide receiver

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys position breakdown: Wide receiver

January, 28, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Cowboys reporter Todd Archer breaks down the team, position by position, analyzing what the players did in 2014, what they can do in the future, and what the team can do to improve the position in 2015.

Under contract: Terrance Williams, Devin Street, Chris Boyd, Reggie Dunn
Free agents: Dez Bryant, Cole Beasley, Dwayne Harris

A look back: Bryant was magnificent again with 88 catches for 1,320 yards and a single-season team record 16 touchdown catches. He made the big plays, but more importantly he made the boring plays.

With the way the Cowboys ran the ball in 2014, the opportunities were not the same for the other receivers. Williams, Beasley, and Harris had to fit in behind Bryant and Jason Witten. The Cowboys did a better job of moving Bryant around to make it more difficult for defenses to guard him, but he deserves credit for knowing how to handle different chances from different spots.

The Cowboys parted ways with Miles Austin, in part because they felt Williams was ready to assume the No. 2 role. He caught eight touchdown passes and showed a knack of finding open spots for quarterback Tony Romo when things broke down, but he has to do a better job with his route-running and making contested catches.

Beasley’s role increased as the season went on. Romo trusts him, but there were a handful of miscommunications and Beasley had two fumbles. Despite being a slot player, he still averaged 11.4 yard per catch and caught four touchdown passes. Harris’s chances were fewer than he would have liked, but he was a devastating blocker at times in the run game.

Actually, wide receivers coach Derek Dooley deserves credit for his group doing the dirty work down the field when running back DeMarco Murray broke long runs.

A look ahead: Bryant will be a free agent, but the Cowboys won’t let him leave. Without a long-term deal, they will put the franchise tag on him. It might not make Bryant happy, but if he wants to complain he can send them the union’s way for not doing a better job of getting rid of the tags in the most recent collective bargaining talks.

Regardless, the Cowboys want him for 2015 and beyond, but they will only do so if the deal makes complete sense for them. They don’t want to get out of whack with their salary structure in the future, and it’s entirely possible for them to use the franchise tag on Bryant in 2016 as well if necessary.

Beasley will be a restricted free agent. The Cowboys will have to determine whether it makes sense to put the low tender on him, which would not require compensation from another team since he was an undrafted free agent, or the second-round tender, which will be roughly $2.4 million. They could look into signing him to a multi-year deal before free agency begins to keep that cap figure lower. He has too much value to let walk, however, so the Cowboys will likely put the second-round tender on him.

Harris has value as well, especially when factoring in his return ability. But he could be looking for more chances as a receiver and could get that elsewhere.

Williams’ playoff run suggests he is about to figure it out. He has shown he can make the big plays, but he needs to grow the way Bryant grew in making the boring plays that keep drives alive. Street has ability and was active for every game, but caught just two passes.

A look out: Let’s go with the premise that Bryant and Beasley will return. That would give the Cowboys their top three receivers back in 2015, with Street possibly moving into a larger role as the fourth receiver.

There does not appear to be a lot of room at the inn for another receiver, so early- or middle-round picks in the draft do not appear likely. The same would go with a veteran free agent. If Bryant somehow is not re-signed, then there could be options worth exploring in free agency. The Cowboys coached Randall Cobb at the Pro Bowl. But this is just a waste of breath considering how the Cowboys value Bryant.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Besides Dez being a must-have player, I'd like to quietly sign Beasley to a cheap multi-year deal. I wasn't a big fan before the season, but he made me a believe that he can fill that Wes Welker role long term.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Besides Dez being a must-have player, I'd like to quietly sign Beasley to a cheap multi-year deal. I wasn't a big fan before the season, but he made me a believe that he can fill that Wes Welker role long term.
I have liked Beasley from the start but i also had reservations about his size holding up. He seems to have adapted to the physical aspects of the game. He was really a clutch receiver during his college career.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I have liked Beasley from the start but i also had reservations about his size holding up. He seems to have adapted to the physical aspects of the game. He was really a clutch receiver during his college career.
He seemed to have bulked up this year and become stouter, almost looks like a RB.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Beasley and Dez come back...the logical option to go is Harris. Certainly have valued what he has done here, but I'd move on from him and look for a more viable WR at the 5th spot...be that through the draft or low cost FA.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I like Harris, but this team desperately needs a dynamic punt/kick returner to help flip field position thru out the season. Harris just isn't getting it done anymore.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Harris, but this team desperately needs a dynamic punt/kick returner to help flip field position thru out the season. Harris just isn't getting it done anymore.
Once a returner starts going downhill they don't usually recover. You can only have so many purely utility guys on the roster. If Harris isn't an elite returner anymore I don't think we can afford to really keep him around strictly for his special teams ability.

Top Bottom