Per Fisher....Free Takes Pay Cut

Newt

DCC 4Life
I'm surprised he took a pay cut, He had to see that no other team would even come close to paying him what he will still get as a Cowboy. So what happens now if we end up still cutting him after the start of training camp? Same cap hit? Or would it be even less?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sounds like there will be no dead money next year and that he's only slated to make 7 million over the next 2 years.

Now we should use that cap space to cut Bernadeau and sign Moore.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I guess right now in Jerry's mind it stacks up something like Smith, Livings, Costa, Fred, Free. Which is better, I think, I don't know.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Now we should use that cap space to cut Bernadeau and sign Moore.
:lol

You still think there's a chance this team is going to try and improve this line?

It's painfully obvious that they want to go in with all of the same guys we have now, hence Free's paycut as opposed to his outright release.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And..... the roster is set.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He's still stealing money.

Smartest thing he could have done, otherwise he'd be making the minimum with another team.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not as skeptical as some about Free this season. He should be healthier and he will have to make a showing for whoever might be his employer next season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is positive news, but Free is still overpaid based on last year's almost complete meltdown on top of a terrible 2011.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 3m
From the Cowboys' perspective, the best part about Doug Free's pay cut (instead of just cutting him) is no dead $ for next year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From the Cowboys' perspective, the best part about Doug Free's pay cut (instead of just cutting him) is no dead $ for next year.
:tehj

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the dumbest shit I have ever read. The dead money is there weather Free plays in Dallas or he doesn't. The only difference is if he is still playing in Dallas we don't call it dead money, we call it signing bonus. Anyone that knows a thing about economics could tell you that Doug Free's signing bonus is a sunk cost. It should have zero play in any decisions we make with regards to Free.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the dumbest shit I have ever read. The dead money is there weather Free plays in Dallas or he doesn't. The only difference is if he is still playing in Dallas we don't call it dead money, we call it signing bonus. Anyone that knows a thing about economics could tell you that Doug Free's signing bonus is a sunk cost. It should have zero play in any decisions we make with regards to Free.
What this was getting at was that the guaranteed money is this year only, not next. It actually is a pretty decent situation considering the alternative.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What?

There is a huge difference in having 7 million in cap cost over 2 years and just being on the hook for 3.5 million this year.

How would that not have any affect on a Free decision?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What?

There is a huge difference in having 7 million in cap cost over 2 years and just being on the hook for 3.5 million this year.

How would that not have any affect on a Free decision?
Huh? His bonus counts this year no matter what. His pay cut only has to do with his base salary. If you cut him you pay him zero base salary. If you keep him you pay him the 3.5 mil base salary. Regardless of him being on the roster or off the roster the Cowboys are still having that remaining bonus money counting against the cap.

Free cut his base salary from 7 mil to 3.5 mil next season. His cap hit next season isn't 3.5 mil though, it is more like 6.5 mil (Because of his bonus which is still spread over the length of the contract). In totality we are using 3.5 mil more against the cap then we would if we cut him. This stuff isn't rocket science people.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only question you should ask yourself is if Free is worth 3.5 mil for this up coming season. If he is, then it is a good move. If he isn't, then it is a bad move. The signing bonus is a sunk cost. That money is gone. To say that you're thrilled because there is no "dead cap" shows no understanding of economics.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Huh? His bonus counts this year no matter what. His pay cut only has to do with his base salary. If you cut him you pay him zero base salary. If you keep him you pay him the 3.5 mil base salary. Regardless of him being on the roster or off the roster the Cowboys are still having that remaining bonus money counting against the cap.

Free cut his base salary from 7 mil to 3.5 mil next season. His cap hit next season isn't 3.5 mil though, it is more like 6.5 mil (Because of his bonus which is still spread over the length of the contract). In totality we are using 3.5 mil more against the cap then we would if we cut him. This stuff isn't rocket science people.
I would guess the entire contract changed. Not just this year. So, it very well could be his next year's impact could be different than it was before.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would guess the entire contract changed. Not just this year. So, it very well could be his next year's impact could be different than it was before.
You think he paid his signing bonus back?

Top Bottom