Brandon Carr probably will take pay cut or get released

vince

Not So New Member
By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4739939/carr-will-probably-take-pay-cut-or-get-released

IRVING, Texas - Brandon Carr didn't nearly play as poorly during the final month of the season and the playoff as most folks think.

He was more physical against the run and actually broke up some passes. He played with more confidence and his performance against Green Bay receiver Jordy Nelson in the playoffs was terrific. Shadowing him much of the day, Nelson caught only two passes for 22 yards.

For the record, Nelson caught 98 passes for 1,519 yards and 13 touchdowns in the regular season.

Still, he's supposed to count $12.7 million against the salary cap with a salary of $8 million. The Cowboys will probably give him the same option they gave right tackle Doug Free a couple of years ago: Take a pay cut or get released.

“Carr played well this year and I’m not as critical of Carr as others,” owner Jerry Jones said. “But that’s a lot of money. One thing that we've just got to do is we’ve got to make sure that every way we can we get the value for the money.

Free took a pay cut, and it worked out well for him. He has played well the past two seasons, and now he has the leverage as a free agent. While the Cowboys have restructured Carr's deal in the past, it's unlikely they choose to go that route again.

“There’s an issue of going and borrowing some money, borrowing it in the sense of hedging, taking money from future years," Jones said. “There’s an issue there. We’ll maximize our dollar.”

I don't see him taking less money. He'll probably walk more than anything else.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4739939/carr-will-probably-take-pay-cut-or-get-released

IRVING, Texas - Brandon Carr didn't nearly play as poorly during the final month of the season and the playoff as most folks think.

He was more physical against the run and actually broke up some passes. He played with more confidence and his performance against Green Bay receiver Jordy Nelson in the playoffs was terrific. Shadowing him much of the day, Nelson caught only two passes for 22 yards.

For the record, Nelson caught 98 passes for 1,519 yards and 13 touchdowns in the regular season.

Still, he's supposed to count $12.7 million against the salary cap with a salary of $8 million. The Cowboys will probably give him the same option they gave right tackle Doug Free a couple of years ago: Take a pay cut or get released.

“Carr played well this year and I’m not as critical of Carr as others,” owner Jerry Jones said. “But that’s a lot of money. One thing that we've just got to do is we’ve got to make sure that every way we can we get the value for the money.

Free took a pay cut, and it worked out well for him. He has played well the past two seasons, and now he has the leverage as a free agent. While the Cowboys have restructured Carr's deal in the past, it's unlikely they choose to go that route again.

“There’s an issue of going and borrowing some money, borrowing it in the sense of hedging, taking money from future years," Jones said. “There’s an issue there. We’ll maximize our dollar.”

I don't see him taking less money. He'll probably walk more than anything else.
I don't see why he would think he can get big money elsewhere.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I don't think he'll get big dollars anywhere else right now, he may agree to a pay cut. There are only a few "top dollar" corners in the league and he isn't one of them, not even close. I don't think it will hurt much if he is released, other than dead money or whatever cap ramifications come from it.

vince

Not So New Member
Ego is what I'm getting at. He may not get it anywhere else but I can see him walking. Everyone knows the only reason he's the number 1 cb on the team is because he's getting paid like one.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Ego is what I'm getting at. He may not get it anywhere else but I can see him walking. Everyone knows the only reason he's the number 1 cb on the team is because he's getting paid like one.
You're right.

There's no way anyone is going to pay him more than 5 million a year, and that is the best case scenario for him. Yet, if the Cowboys tried to cut him down to 6 or whatever, he'll likely refuse it.

Even thought they know they aren't going to get big money somewhere else, a lot of these guys refuse the pay cut just out of sheer pride.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He also might want to leave and try to resurrect his career someplace where they play a more man-coverage friendly scheme.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bullshit. We did a lot more shading to his side and rolling the safeties to help. It is one big reason deep passes to the middle of the field became harder to defend late in the year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ego is what I'm getting at.
He doesn't strike me as a big ego guy. Kind of like Doug Free, he knows he won't get paid like that in the open market. I don't know if he has the mentality of a Doug Free to accept a pay cut and stay with the Cowboys but I hope so. It's also mutually beneficial because it creates probably more cap space for the Cowboys then just outright cutting the guy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't really give much of a fuck what happens with him, although I would like to see us take a flier on Charles Tillman. He's older and had some injuries but he should be cheap and I'm sure he'd love to reunite with Marinelli for his last year or two in the league. Dude is 2 years removed from an All-Pro year and obviously knows the system.

Scandrick/Tillman/Moore/Claiborne and then some combination of Carr/Patmon/mid to late round picks is just fine for me.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
First round CB again.

Maybe the fucktard from Washington if he's not in the box or the former basketball player from Miami, Ohio.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm fine with Carr back on a big paycut. It wouldn't effect what else I do then.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You're right.

There's no way anyone is going to pay him more than 5 million a year, and that is the best case scenario for him. Yet, if the Cowboys tried to cut him down to 6 or whatever, he'll likely refuse it.

Even thought they know they aren't going to get big money somewhere else, a lot of these guys refuse the pay cut just out of sheer pride.
It's painfully stupid. What's more important, your pride or your family? Especially if you can get that money and prestige back with incentives and solid play.

He realistically should agree to a cut considering the amount of money he's already heisted. $25,500,000 guaranteed is a retarded amount of money.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
If he gets cut how much do the cowboys have to pay him?
Isn't the issue that he'd get the money from the cowboys plus whatever he gets from the other team?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If he gets cut how much do the cowboys have to pay him?
Isn't the issue that he'd get the money from the cowboys plus whatever he gets from the other team?
12 mill in dead money if we cut him pre-June 1. June 1 cut puts the dead money around 4 mill with us owing him 8 mill in salary. If he signs with another team this contract voids. But, I think the dead money sticks.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
12 mill in dead money if we cut him pre-June 1. June 1 cut puts the dead money around 4 mill with us owing him 8 mill in salary. If he signs with another team this contract voids. But, I think the dead money sticks.
That's regarding the cowboys, I meant for Carr. Would he be getting money from the cowboys plus from whatever team hires him? Or is this one of those they're still on the hook for whatever difference between his old contract and new.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's regarding the cowboys, I meant for Carr. Would he be getting money from the cowboys plus from whatever team hires him? Or is this one of those they're still on the hook for whatever difference between his old contract and new.
Usually the latter, but any new contract is going to make sure his first year salary is low to make the Cowboys pay as much as possible.

Top Bottom