Archer: Phil Costa ready for competition

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Phil Costa ready for competition
May, 16, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – After the Cowboys drafted center Travis Frederick in the first round, owner and general manager Jerry Jones all but said the rookie will be a starter in 2013.

What did the Cowboys’ starting center of the last two years think about the team’s move?

“I look at it that it’s the NFL and every year there’s going to be competition, and competition brings out the best in anyone,” Phil Costa said. “I met Travis and he seems like a great guy who’s a good player and can help our team, help our offense get better. So I’m looking forward to it.”

Costa played in only parts of three games last year because of back and ankle injuries. The Cowboys relied on Ryan Cook and Mackenzy Bernadeau to fill in for Costa. The offense’s best rushing game of the season was the only game Costa played from beginning to end when they ran for 227 yards on 42 carries against Baltimore.

Costa said he is 100 percent after undergoing late-season ankle surgery and will be able to take part in all of the on-field workouts leading up to training camp.

The Cowboys signed Costa to a two-year, $2.7 million extension in March that included a $450,000 signing bonus.

“I wanted to stay with Dallas,” Costa said. “Everything they do is a first-class organization. Being with Bill Callahan as the offensive coordinator/offensive line coach is huge because I think he’s one of the best in the league and I feel like I can get that much better being with him. We have a great group of guys in Dallas, a lot of selfless guys and I feel like we have a great chance to win here, as well.”

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Ok, first of all since he was injured almost all of last year, can he really be considered the starter for the last 2 years? Second of all, there had better be no competition. Frederick was the first round pick and had better be able to start by game one otherwise I think it's a fail. Costa had better enjoy the back up role or be a good guard if he can play there.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
After all the criticism Jerry got for taking Frederick so high there is no way in hell he doesn't start from day one. Costa is a POS that can't stay healthy. As soon as Frederick learns the offense I can't believe from what we know about him so far that he won't be the superior player.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Frederick is already the superior player. Even not knowing the offense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You can't know that.
He'd have to be an epic bust not to be.

I'm pretty confident he's a better player than Costa on Day 1 of training camp. Costa is not an adequate player in run blocking or pass blocking and he was not even good enough at calling out the defenses that Romo had to do it.

Frederick will be no worse or an upgrade at everything pretty much immediately. If Costa is getting the reps early in camp it's only to make Frederick show for a week or so first.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He'd have to be an epic bust not to be.

I'm pretty confident he's a better player than Costa on Day 1 of training camp.
My point is you talk in certainties. You can't know half of what you claim as fact.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My point is you talk in certainties. You can't know half of what you claim as fact.
Everybody talks like that on different subjects when they are confident of something. I don't know for a fact that the sun will rise tomorrow either, I'm only 99.999999999% sure.

I may not be "that" sure that Frederick is the superior player, but if not, then it's 99.99%.

Costa sucks. He's horrible. Even if Frederick was the third round pick that a lot of experts thought he was, there is very little chance he's not an immediate upgrade because of how bad Costa was.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Frederick should make quick work of Costa once camp starts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Frederick should make quick work of Costa once camp starts.
I still have a sneaking suspicion that he will be given too much of a shot. In other words, they start talking about how great Costa is and rationalize that as a reason to keep this guy as a starter and move Frederick. They did just give him a new contract. They didn't do that for nothing.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I still have a sneaking suspicion that he will be given too much of a shot. In other words, they start talking about how great Costa is and rationalize that as a reason to keep this guy as a starter. They did just give him a new contract. They didn't do that for nothing.
That's what worries me as well.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I still have a sneaking suspicion that he will be given too much of a shot. In other words, they start talking about how great Costa is and rationalize that as a reason to keep this guy as a starter and move Frederick. They did just give him a new contract. They didn't do that for nothing.
After all the criticism of Jerry taking him too early in the draft, Frederick will start at Center if he isn't injured. Jerry's rabid ego will guarantee that. We just better hope they don't get any retarded ideas like trying to start Costa at Guard.

1bigfan13

Staff member
After all the criticism of Jerry taking him too early in the draft, Frederick will start at Center if he isn't injured. Jerry's rabid ego will guarantee that. We just better hope they don't get any retarded ideas like trying to start Costa at Guard.
That's coming.

Top Bottom