JJT: Garrett has re-shaped Cowboys' roster

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Garrett has re-shaped Cowboys' roster
January, 14, 2015

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The NFL is a young man's game because of the rigors associated with a 16-game schedule.

Old players get hurt more often and take longer to recover, which is why you don't want a bunch of 30-year-olds on the roster.

Jason Garrett has always understood that, which is why one of his top priorities when he became the Dallas Cowboys' head coach was to re-make the roster with younger players.

Mission accomplished.

"It's a young football team," Garrett said. "We have a lot of guys who were thrust into roles for a lot of different reasons and they had to grow up fast.

"We're building this the right way," Garrett said. "There's a lot to be proud of about this football team this year, but we didn't accomplish our goals."

At the end of the 2010 season, the Cowboys had 15 players 28 or older on their roster, including seven who were 30 or older. Then, Doug Free was the only starting lineman under 30.

At the end of the 2014 season, the Cowboys had just six players who were 28 or older on the roster. These days, Free is the only offensive line starter who's 30.

None of the others -- Tyron Smith (24), Ronald Leary (25), Travis Frederick (23) and Zack Martin (24) -- are older than 25.

The Cowboys' average age is 25.4 with 2.9 years of experience, but they still won 12 games and the NFC East title. The future looks good.

"We went through a phase when we were transitioning our team from a lot of older players on our team to some younger players," Garrett said. "We've done that over the course of three or four years to go from one of the older teams to one of the younger teams.

"I certainly think this team maximized itself. But our goals are higher than what we accomplished this year. We have higher aspirations and we have to be bound and determined to re-focus and get back to work, so we can achieve our ultimate goal."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Tony Romo
Jason Witten
Jeremy Mincey
LP LaDeuceur
Doug Free
Anthony Spencer

Tough to look past those first two. LaDeuceur should stay on the roster. Free and Mincey were very solid contributors in 2014 but I could see Free walking and Mincey's still under contract. Spencer should be re-signed.

We're looking at an even younger roster next season, but Romo's time is ticking fast.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Tony Romo
Jason Witten
Jeremy Mincey
LP LaDeuceur
Doug Free
Anthony Spencer

Tough to look past those first two. LaDeuceur should stay on the roster. Free and Mincey were very solid contributors in 2014 but I could see Free walking and Mincey's still under contract. Spencer should be re-signed.

We're looking at an even younger roster next season, but Romo's time is ticking fast.
I have no interest in resigning Spencer. He had a nice little run at the end of the season, but you're really going to ask him to play 16 games at DE? I'd rather have Selvie back than Spencer.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have no interest in resigning Spencer. He had a nice little run at the end of the season, but you're really going to ask him to play 16 games at DE? I'd rather have Selvie back than Spencer.
Same here. Eff him.

We needed him to come up big against Green Bay and he didn't do shit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Expect nothing from Spencer. My posifion all year.

Top Bottom