Could Peyton play elsewhere in 2015?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2015, 9:19 AM EST

With the Broncos and coach John Fox engaging in the most recent NFL “mutual parting,” the biggest question moving forward is whether the Broncos and quarterback Peyton Manning will have a “mutual parting,” too.

Manning, who abhors change, may not want to return — if he decides to keep playing. The Broncos, who may have only one more year with Manning anyway, may not want to pay Manning $19 million in 2015.

So what happens if Manning and the Broncos decide not to continue together but Manning decides to keep playing? Here’s a quick look at the teams that could be/should be interested, with the pros and cons for each location.

1. The Bills.

Pros: Potential championship-caliber defense, receiver Sammy Watkins, Rex Ryan at coach, deep-pocketed ownership that seems to be committed to winning, passionate fan base.

Cons: Direct competition with the Patriots and Tom Brady, possibly multiple bad-weather home games.

2. The Jets.

Pros: New York market, quality time with Eli, reunion with receiver Eric Decker.

Cons: Questionable talent at skill positions, ownership that may not be truly committed to spending big on free agents, direct competition with Patriots and Tom Brady, possibly multiple bad-weather home games.

3. The Browns.

Pros: Quality defense, good offensive line, possible opening for post-football executive role with Jimmy Haslam, a major Tennessee booster who is believed to be interested in working with Peyton.

Cons: Perception that Haslam meddles, tough division, uncertainty regarding Josh Gordon, possibly multiple bad-weather home games.

4. The Titans.

Pros: Return to Tennessee, possible opening for post-football executive role/ownership, presence of Ken Whisenhunt as head coach, weak division, twice-per-year meetings with the Colts.

Cons: Many talent deficiencies on both sides of the ball, strong likelihood of being unable to compete with the Colts.

5. The Texans.

Pros: Strong defense, sufficient offense, coach with direct ties to Bill Belichick who improved team from 2-14 to 9-7 in one year, weak division, twice-per-year meetings with the Colts, weather not an issue.

Cons: Team wasn’t interested in Manning three years ago (he was).

6. The Buccaneers.

Pros: Strong head coach in Lovie Smith and perception that cash-flush team will spend to improve, currently weak division, large, potent pass-catchers.

Cons: Offensive line issues, direct competition with Eli’s team for wild-card berths and playoff positioning.

7. The Cardinals.

Pros: Strong team on both sides of the ball, strong head coach in Bruce Arians, great receivers, possible Super Bowl-ready team that needs only a quarterback, weather not an issue.

Cons: Carson Palmer is under contract, direct competition with Eli’s team for wild-card berths and playoff positioning.

8. The Rams.

Pros: Great defense, improving offense, respected head coach in Jeff Fisher, domed stadium.

Cons: Tough division, uncertainty regarding future location of franchise, direct competition with Eli’s team for wild-card berths and playoff positioning.

Teams not making the list include the Bengals, 49ers, and Washington, primarily because each is likely committed to sticking with a far younger quarterback for at least one more year.

For Cincinnati and San Francisco, team-friendly long-term contracts with Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick, respectively, provide some flexibility, but it would be a shock if either team throws the current starter overboard for what could be a one-year stint with Manning, whose performance over the last month may have been less about injury and more about age.

D

Deuce

La Canfora talked a lot about his interest in Houston a few years ago on Sunday night. Would be interesting if he gave them a one and down season to try and win it all.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't see Peyton going to a 3rd team.

I think he comes back a Bronco or calls it quits.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I don't see Peyton going to a 3rd team.

I think he comes back a Bronco or calls it quits.
I would like to see Peyton retire, and Eli become a Bronco.

Newt

DCC 4Life

kidd

DCC 4Life
I would like to see Peyton retire, and Eli become a Bronco.
I like Eli just fine in NY. That team needs to suck a little longer and he contributes to that suckage.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
About the only one that makes sense is the Titans.

But I don't see it. Elway loves him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
About the only one that makes sense is the Titans.

But I don't see it. Elway loves him.
How do the Titans make sense? If I'm Peyton, I want to only play on a team I think can win the Super Bowl.

Carp

DCC 4Life
How do the Titans make sense? If I'm Peyton, I want to only play on a team I think can win the Super Bowl.
He is butt buddies with the owner and it would be a homecoming of sorts.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DeMarcus Ware thinks Peyton Manning’s coming back

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 16, 2015, 10:16 AM EST

While Peyton Manning hasn’t said anything about his future beyond a noncommittal post-game interview, he has apparently talked to some teammates.

And they think he’s coming back.

Defensive end DeMarcus Ware told Lindsay Jones of USA Today that he’s had some conversations with Manning since then, which lead him to believe his quarterback’s coming back.

“Me and Peyton will always talk back and forth about things. Now he’s just looking forward to the next season and how we can get better,” Ware said. “I think he’ll be back. I feel like he still has a couple years in him. . . .

“He just needs time to get healthy, rest. Calm the brain down. Turn it off a little bit and then hit the restart button once it’s time.”

Of course, calming the brain down might also lead to second thoughts.

But at a time when the Broncos are without a coaching staff, the thought that they might not have to replace a legend is a good start.

Top Bottom