ESPN via Sling TV could finally force major change within Cable TV industry

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
From the Washington Post:

ESPN will be available through a streaming service, no cable required

For many TV viewers, the only reason to keep paying for expensive cable subscriptions is to watch sports. And for that, they invariably need ESPN, the powerful network that has exclusive rights to many of the country’s most popular football and basketball games.

Now, that linchpin is being removed. For the first time ever, sports fans will be able to watch ESPN’s programming streamed online to their tablets, laptops, smartphones and TVs—all without paying a cable or satellite bill.

For $20 a month, viewers will also be able to watch CNN, the Food Network and the Cartoon Network through a new streaming service, called Sling TV. Dish Network, which is launching Sling, said the service will debut sometime later this month.

With Monday’s announcement, 2015 is shaping up to be the year when consumers have more reasons than ever to abandon the expensive bundles of cable channels offered by companies like Comcast and Verizon.

HBO and Showtime are planning to roll out their own digital streaming services early this year. Sony Entertainment Network will also offer online viewing of channels like Viacom’s MTV, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central. Millions are already used to paying for Netflix and Hulu Plus for their television viewing.

But ESPN’s entry into online streaming is different. The tremendous demand for ESPN is unparalleled in the cable TV world. The top ten most-viewed programs in cable television history are all ESPN programs. And with more people watching TV shows online according to their own schedules, live sports are one of the few things left on TV that bring entire families together to watch in real-time.

On New Year’s Day, the biggest cable audience ever tuned in to ESPN’s new college football playoffs, with 28.2 million viewers watching the Rose Bowl game between Oregon and Florida State, and another 28.3 million catching the Ohio State-Alabama game. Then on Saturday, the NFL wild card game between the Arizona Cardinals and the Carolina Panthers became the eighth most-watched cable program ever, drawing 21.7 milion viewers.

The shift to digital is a high-risk bet for the television industry, which has been dependent on one reliably lucrative model for decades. Companies like Disney-owned ESPN charge cable and satellite companies a certain amount per customer for their programming. The cable and satellite companies in turn charge consumers an average $95.73 per month, according to media research firm SNL Kagan.

Subscriptions to Hulu, Netflix and Sling TV are less than half that amount, though they could also quickly add up.

If too many consumers abandon their Dish Network subscriptions in favor of Sling, the satellite company could lose too much in revenues from its core business.

“This is a game changer for the industry because Dish has be sure it doesn’t cannibalize its existing customer base,” said Chris Young, an analyst at SNL Kagan. “ESPN is a must-have on the basic cable platform and the big question is if $20 is the right point for consumers to push back on cable.”

Some popular cable networks such as Fox News and AMC have not indicated any plans for their own stand-alone streaming services. But by waiting out the shift, they could risk being left behind, if consumers think their presence alone isn’t enough to justify a big cable bill.

Dish Network says its market studies show that most interest in Sling TV will come from millennials who have never subscribed to cable or satellite and probably never will. To appeal to these estimated 12 million consumers, Dish won’t require contracts, credit checks or installation fees.

But to prevent families from cutting their satellite television subscriptions for Sling TV, Dish said the online service will only play on one device at a time. In other words, if you want to play ESPN on your phone and your tablet, you’ll have to pay $40 per month.

“Sling TV provides a viable alternative for live television to the millennial audience,” Dish CEO Joseph Clayton said Monday in a speech at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Disney, too, praised the announcement, saying the move won’t hurt its cable network.

“We are excited to see our innovative efforts with Dish come to fruition with this value package targeting the 12 million broadband-only households,” Disney said in a statement. “This will support the overall multichannel subscription model, while offering viewers yet another way to access Disney and ESPN content.”

But millennials may not be the only ones interested in these streaming services. Older audiences have also expressed frustration with ever-increasing cable bills. Industry experts say it’s only a matter of time before masses of consumers flock online as an alternative to cable.

“This is huge. For the company that has most vigorously resisted offering its premier sports channel separate from the broad bundle of Disney programming, this is a sea change and indication that a la carte cable has finally made it over the hump,” said Gene Kimmelman, president of public interest group Public Knowledge, which has advocated for channels to be offered a la carte for consumers.

“Once you offer ESPN online on its own, it is only a question of time before consumers demand more ways to pick and pay for only the channels they want,” said Kimmelman.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is great news.

I think its only a matter of time before big cable companies have to adjust their tactics such as offering channels a la carte.

If they get too cocky and react too slowly I can easily see them going the way of the brick and mortar video store.

However, they'll still have their internet service and dwindling LAN line subscriptions so they won't completely go away.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You knew it was only a matter of time.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
I paid Dish about $200 or so to go away/blow up my contract last year and I haven't looked back.

I get free live hi def tv with a $45 antenna I installed in my attic...the rest I just stream from/to my Apple TV. That plus DVDs is more than I can watch.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Considering the number of channels I actually bother to watch, I could have five stations or so and be happy. Once more things like this happen, I will be happy to get rid of DirectTV.

dallen

Senior Tech
I paid Dish about $200 or so to go away/blow up my contract last year and I haven't looked back.

I get free live hi def tv with a $45 antenna I installed in my attic...the rest I just stream from/to my Apple TV. That plus DVDs is more than I can watch.
Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, and little bit of technical sleight of hand to be able to pick up the NFL's european IPTV feed is enough for me

D

Deuce

Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, and little bit of technical sleight of hand to be able to pick up the NFL's european IPTV feed is enough for me
I did this for about 15 months til my antenna went bad.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Considering the number of channels I actually bother to watch, I could have five stations or so and be happy. Once more things like this happen, I will be happy to get rid of DirectTV.
Just out of curiosity, and to give me something to talk about while at work, what channels would you order if you go get the ones you wanted individually?

I'd say 90-95% of my channels would all be sports related. It's not that I'm some neanderthal who doesn't watch other programs, but most channels today don't offer quality programming anymore. I'm a big fan of educational programming, but most of the channels that offer those types of programs have become MTV-like in that they've scrapped the content they were created for in favor of stupid reality shows. Look no further than the History channel as a perfect example.

Still, History does show enough of the educational content that I would want to keep it.

The channels I'd order would be:

History
History 2
AMC
The Travel Channel
Discovery

After that, everything would be sport related:

ESPN channels
Fox Sports 1 & 2
NBC Sports Network
NFLN
NBA
BeIN Sports
TyC Sports

That would be all the channels I'd get, but instead, I'm paying for 250 when I don't use 235 of them.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It is bullshit that you have to buy all these channels.

The reason they don't offer a la carte is that hundreds of these shitty channels would go bankrupt because they are basically subsidized by the channels that everyone really wants. ESPN can charge the cable co. $6 per month, but others, like Food Network or some shit can only charge couch change. In other words, millions would buy ESPN for $X per month, but not many would bother paying for the fag network LOGO if they didn't have to.

Some industry expert said we could go from all these channels to 20 in a la carte. That would be fine by me.

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/how-much-cable-subscribers-pay-per-channel-1626/

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is bullshit that you have to buy all these channels.

The reason they don't offer a la carte is that hundreds of these shitty channels would go bankrupt because they are basically subsidized by the channels that everyone really wants. ESPN can charge the cable co. $6 per month, but others, like Food Network or some shit can only charge couch change. In other words, millions would buy ESPN for $X per month, but not many would bother paying for the fag network LOGO if they didn't have to.

Some industry expert said we could go from all these channels to 20 in a la carte. That would be fine by me.

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/how-much-cable-subscribers-pay-per-channel-1626/
I'm actually a bit surprised the rate for ESPN is that high but I'd absolutely spend $6-$7 a month just for that channel.

dallen

Senior Tech
I did this for about 15 months til my antenna went bad.
I've thought about getting an antenna, but I'm so far outside Tulsa it would have to be a pretty big one. Other than sports it works out real well. I'm looking forward to getting ESPN again

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I was a bit surprised the national title game was ESPN only and not on ABC.

Top Bottom