Wildcard Round Stuff

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Larry Warford injures knee in loss to Packers

Tim Twentyman Senior Writer

• [*=right]

The Lions lost their shot at a division title and first-round bye in the playoffs with a 30-20 loss in Green Bay Sunday, but they also might have lost their starting right guard.
​​
Larry Warford left the game in the second quarter with a knee injury and did not return. He was carted back to the locker room from the sideline after having to be helped off the field by trainers. He appeared to be upset when trainers were looking at him on the table behind the bench.

Warford injured his left knee on a failed 4th and 10 play midway through the second quarter.

It’s the second left knee injury Warford has suffered this year. He missed three games earlier this year because of the first injury.

Caldwell said he was “not sure” if Warford would be available to play in next week’s playoff game in Dallas, slated for a 4:40 kickoff on Sunday.

“Obviously Larry is a guy that we’re hoping heals quickly but we’ll see how that goes,” Caldwell said.

If Warford can’t go, expect rookie Travis Swanson to fill in for him just like he did when he started the three games at right guard Warford missed earlier in the year.

“I think Larry is going to be one of those emerging guards in the league,” fellow guard Rob Sims said. “Those guys that people talk about. To lose him (Sunday) stung for sure.”

IHEDIGBO BENCHED

Starting strong safety James Ihedigbo was a great offseason signing for the Lions and he's played at a Pro Bowl level all season, but Sunday in Green Bay was not one of his finer games.

Ihedigbo was mysteriously absent from the lineup for most of the second half, but it wasn't an injury keeping him off the field. It was his head coach.

“We just made some adjustments,” Caldwell said after the game when asked about Ihedigbo. “Often times we make decisions depending on what we see and that was one of those.

“I’m not discussing that particular issue. We made an assessment of what we’re getting, what we needed, and made an adjustment.”

Isa Abdul-Quddus played a majority of the snaps in place of Ihedigbo, who finished with four tackles and a forced fumble.

Ihedigbo didn’t seem too happy about the benching after the game.

"I mean, I’m going to be there for my teammates no matter what the situation is,” he said. “I play for them, that’s where my heart is. Everything I do is for my guys, so whatever they felt was necessary, that’s out of my pay grade.

“When I’m out there I’m going to play football. That’s what I’m here to do is play football. I’m not here to do anything else, besides do my job.”

The Lions did not have a good tackling day as a team and Ihedigbo missed a number of tackles himself.

Caldwell did not say whether or not Ihedigbo would start next week in Dallas.

RAIOLA REINSTATED MONDAY

Veteran center Dominic Raiola will be reinstated to the team Monday after serving a one-game suspension for stomping on the leg of Bears defensive tackle Ego Ferguson last week.

His return will allow Swanson to move over to right guard in place of Warford if Warford’s knee injury keeps him out of the lineup.

But Swanson held his own in Green Bay, where he made his first career start at center.

“I think he did a great job,” Sims said of Swanson. “I think he played tough. He was confident. He made his calls. When he was free he helped us out.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
FOUR DOWNS: Flipping the page

Tim Twentyman Senior Writer

FIRST DOWN: FLIPPING THE PAGE

Jim Caldwell said he flipped the page on Sunday’s loss in Green Bay by the time he stepped out of his postgame shower.

Sure there was disappointment in dropping a 30-20 decision in Green Bay that could have clinched the division and given the Lions a week off and home playoff game, but Caldwell was quick to remind the dozen or so reporters at his press conference after the game that the Lions are one of 12 teams going to work this week. For 20 others, their season is over.

“We’re 11-5 and it’s a new season and none of that stuff matters,” Caldwell said. “I told our guys after they get out of that shower, when they get finished, ‘Hey we have to look forward’. We’re not going to look behind, don’t have to address any issues, and talk about this particular game, it’s over with, it’s done. They played well enough to give us a chance to get into a new season and this new season is win or go home. It’s a new day.”

The players were disappointed in the locker room after the game they didn’t play well enough to set themselves up better in the playoffs, but the conversion quickly turned to Dallas, where the Lions will play at 4:40 on Sunday in the Wild Card round of the playoffs

“Pretty much right away,” quarterback Matthew Stafford said of turning the focus to Dallas. “I’m sure that’s what we’ll be focusing on especially on this plane ride home. It’s a new season. We did our work to get here, to get to this point, give ourselves a chance and we’ll go from there.”

A loss Sunday now forces the Lions into a tough road in the playoffs. They have to play their way through the playoffs as the No. 6 seed with no opportunity for a home game.

Since 1970, 10 wild card teams have advanced to the Super Bowl. Four teams –New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay and the New York Giants – won the Super Bowl winning three road games along the way. The 2010 Packers were the last team to do it.

“Not a lot of teams are playing next week and we’re one of the teams that got the opportunity to play,” linebacker Tahir Whitehead said. “That’s what we’re looking forward to.”

SECOND DOWN: RUN DEFENSE CONCERNS?

The Lions entered Sunday’s game as the No. 1 defense in the NFL against the run. They talked all week about how containing Packers running back Eddie Lacy was the key to the game and they were banking on the strength of their defense to come through for them.
RB Eddie Lacy (Photo: Gavin Smith / Detroit Lions)
Then they got to Lambeau Field and forgot how to tackle.

“They did a nice job running the ball. (Eddie) Lacy got his shoulder square, ran down the field, and a couple times we didn’t tackle very well I think, earlier on more so than anything else,” Caldwell said.

Lacy became the first 100-yard rusher against the Lions this season as he rushed for exactly 100 yards on 26 carries. As a team, the Packers racked up 152 yards on the ground, the largest total against the Lions this year.

“We know we’re better than that,” Whitehead said after the game. “It was a matter of missing tackles. We just have to take advantage of the first opportunity you get. Gang tackle. Get him down.”

The Lions defense came into the game allowing just 63.8 yards per game. The Packers more than doubled that total, but Lions defenders said afterward that it’s better it happened this week. Now they have time to learn from it for next weekend in the playoffs when missed tackles could send them home for the year.

“You’d rather it happen now than when you’re in the midst of the playoffs and it happen then and it really hurts you,” Whitehead said. “Rather it happens now than later.”

The Lions will have to get a lot better quick with Dallas on the horizon. The Cowboys averaged 147.1 yards per game on the ground, good for second in the NFL.

Dallas running back DeMarco Murray rushed for 100 yards in Washington on Sunday – his 12th 100-yard game of the season – and finished the season with 1,845 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns.

Murray passed Pro Football Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith (11 games and 1,773 yards) in both categories to set single-season franchise records.

THIRD DOWN: SPECIAL TEAMS BLUNDERS

For the second-straight game the Lions had blunders on special teams. Last week, in Chicago, they had a fumbled punt, a field goal blocked and a crucial penalty on a Bears punt that led to a first down and an eventual touchdown.

Those plays didn’t cost the Lions the win against a bad Bears team.

It was a different story against an 11-win Packers team this week. The Lions gave up a first-quarter 55-yard punt return touchdown for the first points of the game.

They hadn’t given up a kickoff or punt return touchdown in 43 games before that.

Then, following a Matthew Stafford 4-yard touchdown pass toCalvin Johnson to tie the game at 14-14, Sam Martin kicked the ball out of bounds to give the Packers the ball at their 40-yard line.

It took Aaron Rodgers four minutes and one second to go 60 yards and reclaim the lead for good.

A holding penalty on cornerback Mohammed Seisay in the fourth quarter backed the Lions offense up to their 10-yard line. Stafford was pressured the first play of that series down 28-14 and was called for an intentional grounding penalty in the end zone to give the Packers a safety and a 30-14 lead.

There were some good plays mixed in for the Lions special teams. Safety Isa Abdu-Quddus sliced through the line and blocked a 52-yard field goal attempt by Mason Crosby in the fourth quarter.

Jeremy Ross had a nice 41-yard kickoff return in the fourth quarter.

But the bad outweighs the good the last two weeks when it comes to the special teams and coordinator John Bonamego needs to figure out how to get that unit playing better.

“Just like anything else I think you have to really just continue to work on everything,” Caldwell said. “Obviously we had some good plays in there as well. We had a couple good returns, it wasn’t all negative, but the negative plays are things that you have to be able to control and we didn’t.”

FOURTH DOWN: STEP NOT STOMP

It wasn’t a stomp. Let’s get that out of the way right now. It was more like a step, but when Aaron Rodgers andNdamukong Suh are the two players involved, it’s naturally going to get a lot of attention.

For the second week in a row, a topic of conversation after the game for the Lions was one of their players stepping on an opponent’s leg.W GALLERY | 51 Photos
Lions at Packers: Game Photo

Suh’s stepped on the calf of Rodgers in the fourth quarter while Rodgers was on the ground. The difference between this one and Raiola’s was that Suh was stepping backward and not even looking at Rodgers.

“I didn’t see it and I don’t think that it was intentional either,” Caldwell said. “I get briefed on it. Guys look at it and tell me what they saw or what they thought. Don’t think it was intentional, end of story.”

Rodgers took offense to the play on the field and shoved Suh afterward. Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said afterward that it was “ridiculous“ and “there’s no place for that” in NFL, according to Pro Football Talk.

Suh took a step back onto Rodgers’ calf and then another step back connected with the calf again with the other foot.

It was nowhere near the kind of play that got Raiola suspended, but Suh does have a history with this kind of thing and the league could take a look at it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Would be nice if Suh got the hammer for this game, but I doubt it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
We want them at full strength!

Frederick: Get out here, Suh!!! GTFO here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not even being a homer, but he honestly should.

It was clearly intentional and it shouldn't be allowed to slide given his prior history. It basically says that the guy hasn't learned shit from his past fines and suspensions.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Can't say it was clearly intentional as far as stepping on him. I don't think he hurried to get off but I think his past is clouding just a little. Its not like Riola where he sought him out. That was intentional.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Got my tickets, fellas. Im gonna relish this shit.

Anybody else gonna go?

Last edited:

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Can't say it was clearly intentional as far as stepping on him. I don't think he hurried to get off but I think his past is clouding just a little. Its not like Riola where he sought him out. That was intentional.
The second stomp was clearly intentional. He hits him with his right leg, and instead of stepping forward, as any normal person would do, he continues backwards and stomps on him with his left leg. Given his history, he should be suspended.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The second stomp was clearly intentional. He hits him with his right leg, and instead of stepping forward, as any normal person would do, he continues backwards and stomps on him with his left leg. Given his history, he should be suspended.
Not only that, but notice how instead of taking another step back with the right foot as any person would if they were stepping naturally, he lifts his right foot of the ground and puts all his weight on his left foot.....a left foot which just so happens to be on Rodgers' calf at the time.

I'm sure that was all simply a mere coincidence and an accident. :jerk

dallen

Senior Tech
The first step may have been unintentional. The second clearly wasn't. I think he'll probably just get a big fine, but I wouldn't mind if he got to stay home for a game

dallen

Senior Tech
If Suh were to get suspended, couldn't he just appeal it and play this weekend anyway?

p1_

DCC 4Life
I get the feeling Linehan might have some insight on how to school his former defense. I really look forward to his gameplan vs his old employer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Lions await Ndamukong Suh fate
Updated: December 29, 2014, 1:37 PM ET
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell said he expects a decision from the NFL soon about whether or not there will be any punishment from the league toward defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Suh and the Detroit Lions are awaiting to hear about potential discipline from when Suh stepped on the calf and ankle of Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers twice in succession during the fourth quarter of the Packers' 30-20 win over the Lions on Sunday.

A league source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Suh's prior history with safety issues could play a role in whether or not the NFL suspends the Lions star. Mortensen also reported if the league doesn't suspend Suh, they could fine him heavily.

As for what he thinks that decision might be -- Caldwell isn't saying much about it.

"One of the things, there's an old adage that you prepare for the worst and hope for the best," Caldwell said. "I think you always have to do that in our business."

If Suh is suspended, he would miss the Lions' wild-card playoff game against Dallas on Sunday. It would also mean Detroit would be without both of its first round defensive tackle selections. Caldwell said Monday it would take "a miracle" for defensive tackle Nick Fairley to play against the Cowboys. Fairley has not played or practiced since injuring his knee against Atlanta in Week 8.

If neither Suh nor Fairley are available, the Lions would likely start C.J. Mosley and either Andre Fluellen or Jason Jones at the defensive tackle spots.

After Sunday's game and without seeing the play on tape, Caldwell said he believed Suh's ankle step was unintentional after being briefed on it by others. He declined to give his opinion about his thoughts on Suh's ankle step during his weekly news conference Monday.

Caldwell said he spoke with Suh about it, but wanted to keep those conversations private. In this case, Caldwell said his personal views on the play "don't matter."

"I did have a chance to look at it. We looked at it closely and I had a chance to visit with him and all those kinds of things, which you would anticipate, you would expect," Caldwell said. "And the league's taking a look at it and we'll see what happens and have a ruling about it soon."

This is somewhat of a contrast to last week, when Caldwell defended Dominic Raiola's ankle stomp on Chicago defensive lineman Ego Ferguson. The stomp led to Raiola's suspension for Sunday's game against Green Bay. Raiola will be reinstated Monday and Caldwell said he will be the team's starting center Sunday against Dallas.

In something that could come into play with Suh, part of why the NFL suspended Raiola last week was citing prior actions.

When it comes to Suh, Green Bay's players and coaches were not happy about Suh's actions after the Packers' win Sunday.

"I didn't see it live, I didn't see it on the Jumbotron, but from what I'm told, I'm told it was ridiculous," Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy said Sunday. "There's no place for that. That's where I'm at with it. I don't understand it, frankly."

This isn't the first time Suh has had issues with Green Bay. He was suspended for two games in 2011 after stomping on the arm of then-Packers center Evan Dietrich-Smith. Suh was also fined $100,000 last season for an illegal low block on Minnesota center John Sullivan.

He has been fined in the past for roughing up Cincinnati's Andy Dalton, Chicago's Jay Cutler, then-Houston quarterback Matt Schaub and then-Cleveland quarterbacks Jake Delhomme and Brandon Weeden.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Who is going to give this guy a big contract?

p1_

DCC 4Life
If he sits, that opens things up quite a bit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Warford can't go that's a huge loss since their RT went down a week or two as well.

Top Bottom