Archer: DeMarcus Lawrence antsy for that first sack

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DeMarcus Lawrence antsy for that first sack
November, 20, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- DeMarcus Lawrence is two games into his NFL career, and the Dallas Cowboys rookie defensive end is getting a little antsy for his first sack.

"It feels like it's right there," Lawrence said. "It's just that tenth of a second, just making your move a little quicker, getting to the level of the quarterback fast. It's just working on those little small details and getting off the ball."

The Cowboys coaches have credited Lawrence with four tackles and two quarterback hurries, but defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is a notoriously tough grader.

"It's only been a couple of games, but I'm just trying to work, develop my character and get my instincts back to normal," Lawrence said.

While Lawrence waits for that first sack, his work against the rush has been impressive. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Cowboys have allowed 44 yards on 22 carries with Lawrence on the field. With Lawrence off the field, opponents have averaged 4.7 yards per rush.

While most of the Cowboys enjoyed having the last week, Lawrence might have been better served to keep playing since he missed the first eight games of the season recovering from foot surgery. But he was glad to have the two days of practice

"Just go get my mindset back focused on the next goal, just moving on," Lawrence said.

Lawrence has been leaning on fellow defensive end Jeremy Mincey for advice since they play the same position.

"I want to see him get that first sack, man, so he can get that confidence and start rushing off the edge like we know he's capable of," Mincey said. "He's been doing a really good job. He's getting back there. It's just time to get home."

Mincey remembers his first sack. It came against the Tennessee Titans, dropping Vince Young for a 7-yard loss with Reggie Hayward in 2007.

"It felt great, especially the situation the sack came in," Mincey said. "I've always had a knack for making that play. I might not make all the plays in the world, but I tell you what, I got the heart and hustle and the effort to make that one play that can help us win."

He's hoping Lawrence starts making them too.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
While Lawrence waits for that first sack, his work against the rush has been impressive. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Cowboys have allowed 44 yards on 22 carries with Lawrence on the field. With Lawrence off the field, opponents have averaged 4.7 yards per rush.
This is a good sign, though it is less impressive if he's mostly on the field on 3rd down. 3rd down runs are usually short yardage situations.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This is a good sign, though it is less impressive if he's mostly on the field on 3rd down. 3rd down runs are usually short yardage situations.
Short yardage 3rd downs aren't usually the same defensive package as 3rd and 10.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Lawrence made a few nice plays against the run against the Jaguars so I don't think it's just a matter of circumstance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short yardage 3rd downs aren't usually the same defensive package as 3rd and 10.
And usually if a team does run in a throwing situation it has a higher YPC because the defense is caught off guard and is usually playing nickel or dime defense.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys rookie DeMarcus Lawrence is “hungry and eager”

David Moore Follow @DavidMooreDMN
Email dmoore@dallasnews.com
Published: November 21, 2014 8:33 am

Rookie defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence had his debut delayed by a broken foot.

The Cowboys second round pick is still looking for his first sack. But Lawrence has been active in his first two appearances of the season with four tackles and two quarterback pressures from his right end spot.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli likes what he’s seen.

“Now it’s just about reps and practice and games and practice,’’ Marinelli said. “I think he’ll get a little bit better each week. It’s just about the keys and all of those things.

“He’s so hungry and eager. Now it’s just getting his pad level down, how he can jump out of his stance a little bit quicker, just those things. But the work is there and the want-to is there.’’

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
My point exactly, if you happen to be on the field more often during 3rd down rushes, the targeted down distance is probably 1-2 yards, hence the shortened stats.

It would be more telling if we knew how many of those 22 rush attempts were short yardage tries.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My point exactly, if you happen to be on the field more often during 3rd down rushes, the targeted down distance is probably 1-2 yards, hence the shortened stats.

It would be more telling if we knew how many of those 22 rush attempts were short yardage tries.
If Lawrence is our short yardage DE then I'd say that is a pretty good sign that he is playing the run really well.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I really don't think Lawrence is on the field in short yardage situations, your logic here is pretty backwards.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I think what you are missing is, either:

A: they trust him to be on the field in short yardage, as part of their base package, implying he plays well against the run.

or

B: The runs are not short yardage runs, but draws on 3rd and long.

Top Bottom