Hill: Brandon Magee hoping to follow in the draft-snubbed footsteps of Bengals...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Brandon Magee hoping to follow in the draft-snubbed footsteps of Bengals standout Vontaze Burfict

Much has been made about the Cowboys liking linebacker Brandon Magee so much that they guaranteed $70,000 of his salary for him to sign with them as an undrafted rookie free agent.

But while the former Arizona State star Magee is happy to be with the Cowboys, he is still miffed about being snubbed by every team in the league on draft _ even the Cowboys. He was rated on some teams boards as high as the fourth round. The Cowboys even had him rated higher than linebacker Devonte Holloman, whom they selected in the sixth round.

Magee hasn't forgotten any of it.

"It's there," Magee said of the chip. "It's not going anywhere. I got to make this team."

Magee is drawing inspiration and guidance from former Arizona State teammate Vontage Burfict who found himself in a similar situation last year. Burfict, who at one time was ranked a first-round prospect, went undrafted because of a bad workout and supposed attitude issues. He signed with the Bengals as an undrafted free agent and went on to earn a starting spot and lead the team in tackles as a rookie.

"I talk to him every day," Magee said. "Everybody was all over him. He proved everybody wrong. I'm on that same step."

Clarence Hill

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Huh? Then why the fuck didn't they draft him?
Anything leaked about their supposed draft rankings is probably bullshit, but NFL teams probably also have a good sense of which players are going to slip through the draft for whatever reason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huh? Then why the fuck didn't they draft him?
Because they thought Magee was more likely to go undrafted then Holloman. So they figured if they drafted Holloman they could still sign Magee. I think it is a stupid game to play with your draft board and trying to predict what other teams do or don't want but in this instance it worked out.

Top Bottom