George: Marinelli - Durant is ‘terrific’ and ‘everybody is seeing it right now'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli: LB Justin Durant is ‘terrific’ and ‘everybody is seeing it right now’
By Brandon George / Reporter bgeorge@dallasnews.com
5:41 pm on October 20, 2014 | Permalink

Much has been made about the addition of middle linebacker Rolando McClain.

But the glue of the Cowboys’ linebacker corps this season has been Justin Durant.

Dallas’ starting weak-side linebacker played all 63 defensive snaps Sunday against the Giants and showed up all over the field.

He had a team-high tying eight tackles. But the way he played in the fourth quarter helped put the Giants away.

“He’s a terrific linebacker. Everybody is seeing it right now,” Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “He is our captain. He’s a heck of a ball player. He’s aware, heady, fits our system to a T.”

Durant was involved in both of the Cowboys’ fourth-quarter fumble recoveries. Durant recovered a fumble by Giants tight end Larry Donnell early in the fourth quarter that led to a touchdown.

Durant then forced a Donnell fumble in the final minute that was recovered by Henry Melton to seal the victory.

“Oh man, he’s playing remarkable,” Cowboys safety Barry Church said of Durant. “He’s everywhere. I didn’t know he was that fast but he’s all over the place.”

And after the Cowboys moved to 6-1 on Sunday, Durant showed some leadership.

“We had a bad game,” Durant said. “We didn’t play our game. I felt like we gave up a lot of stuff. A couple of those plays were definitely on me. I have to clean up what I’m doing and get my eyes right. We have a lot of stuff to get better at.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
“We had a bad game,” Durant said. “We didn’t play our game. I felt like we gave up a lot of stuff. A couple of those plays were definitely on me. I have to clean up what I’m doing and get my eyes right. We have a lot of stuff to get better at.”
A-a-accountability?? A Cowboys player owning up to fail in spite of winning the game? This is a Jerry Jones team???

Interesting to see how they re-incorporate Carter, Brent, and Lawrence into this mix.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A-a-accountability?? A Cowboys player owning up to fail in spite of winning the game? This is a Jerry Jones team???

Interesting to see how they re-incorporate Carter, Brent, and Lawrence into this mix.
I did notice he got beat in coverage in this game some. There were times in zone coverage where his spacing was just off and he let some guys catch some balls that he could have stopped. One of the TD passes comes to mind.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I did notice he got beat in coverage in this game some. There were times in zone coverage where his spacing was just off and he let some guys catch some balls that he could have stopped. One of the TD passes comes to mind.
He does seem to give a little too much space at times.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I wonder what our LBer corps are going to be next year? Presumedly McClain MLB, Lee WSLB, Durant SSLB??? I'm assuming they let Carter walk...

BipolarFuk

Demoted
They will probably only be able to keep one FA LB. I'm guessing all in on McClain.

Then they'll live with kitchens/Wilbur/FA/draft pick at SLB. The position isn't on the field much anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

I wonder what our LBer corps are going to be next year? Presumedly McClain MLB, Lee WSLB, Durant SSLB??? I'm assuming they let Carter walk...
Keep Carter as depth for when Lee gets a season ending injury in week 4.

Top Bottom