Watkins: Tony Romo about to surpass Roger Staubach

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo about to surpass Roger Staubach
October, 15, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- If all goes according to plan on Sunday, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will surpass Hall of Famer Roger Staubach for number of starts in franchise history at 115.

When Romo plays against the New York Giants at AT&T Stadium he will have 115 starts, second most in franchise history behind Troy Aikman (165).

"Roger is the elite of the elite," said Romo, who is behind Staubach (85) and Aikman (94) in wins with 68. "I think anytime you're good at anything and you're mentioned in the breath, playing the same number of games, it's obviously a huge honor. You're just humbled by it, but knowing Roger the way I do, he's excited by what we've been doing. I'll be excited to see him after one of these home wins and get a chance to communicate with him."

After becoming the full-time starter in 2006, Staubach reached out to Romo and the two formed a close relationship. Staubach has said many times he believes the Cowboys will win a Super Bowl with Romo as the starting quarterback.

"It's been great," Romo said of having Staubach in his corner. "I think just knowing you have a guy like that reaching out and saying positive things and believing in me, it makes you feel that you are doing something right. He's been great to me and my family and we will be huge Roger Staubach fans."

p1_

DCC 4Life
Roger Staubach: Tony Romo is 'a winner; now getting the support he needs'

DAVID MOORE

Staff Writer

dmoore@dallasnews.com

Published: 15 October 2014 10:31 PM

Updated: 15 October 2014 10:43 PM
IRVING — Roger Staubach will watch Sunday afternoon’s game with family and friends from his suite at AT&T Stadium.

Shortly after 3:25, when Tony Romo takes the field with the Cowboys’ offense, the Dallas icon will slip to third among quarterback starts in the franchise’s rich history.

“My record,” Staubach said before laughing. “Do I have any other records with the Cowboys other than being in the Navy?”

Staubach’s place in Cowboys lore is secure. No. 12 feels no need to jealously guard his legacy.

Why should he? Others will do that for him.

Staubach and Troy Aikman — select your order — are the most revered quarterbacks in Cowboys history. Both led their teams to Super Bowl titles. Both defined their eras by success.

And both have been gracious and genuine in their praise of Romo through the years. Staubach took the time heading into Sunday’s game with the New York Giants to keep the accolades rolling.

“I think Tony Romo is one of the best things that has happened to Dallas,” he said. “He’s a franchise quarterback. He’s a winner. But he can’t do it by himself.

“There is no way I could have. There is no way Troy could have. Danny White took the team to three championship games with a balanced approach.

“I’ve been watching Tony since he started here and I think he’s something special. He makes things happen. He has good instincts.”

Critics have questioned those instincts during this four-year playoff drought. Staubach has always been ready to offer a respectful but full-throated response to Romo’s critics.

“These three straight 8-8 seasons are mediocrity, but it’s not because of him,” Staubach said. “I always felt I would help any team, but I had to rely on that team to help me. Archie Manning was a really good quarterback, but he got stuck with the Saints when they weren’t a very good team and had losing years.

“It’s a team effort. Yes, you have to have a good quarterback. But now we’ve got the rest of the team clicking.”

Coach Jason Garrett said earlier in the week that the best thing the organization has done in recent years is to purposely ease the burden on Romo. The club has made a conscious effort to build up the offensive line, improve the running game and upgrade the defense.

“I’ve said this because I believe it’s true,” Staubach said. “I was a major, big-time Troy Aikman fan. Troy made things happen, and Tony does, too. But you need to have defense better than 32nd in the league, and now they are.

“Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or anybody, if they play on a team where their defense ranks No. 32, they will be 8-8. Tony was phenomenal at times last season. If our defense had been in the 15 to 17 range, we easily would have been 10-6. I mean, he put 48 points on the board in a game [Denver] last year and they lost.

“I’ve always been amazed at how people don’t appreciate what kind of talent he is. I think they’re starting to, for some reason.”

That reason is a 5-1 start.

Romo appreciates how Staubach has always been in his corner.

“It’s been great,” Romo said. “Just knowing you have a guy like that reaching out and saying positive things and believing in you, it makes you feel that you are doing something right.

“He’s been great to me and my family. We will always be huge Roger Staubach fans.

“Roger is someone you want to emulate. But knowing Roger the way I do, I bet he’s more excited by what we’ve been doing as a team.”

He’s right. Staubach sees what more and more people are starting to see in this team. He doesn’t want to be too effusive, because in his words, he doesn’t want to jinx it.

But Staubach will point out he predicted the Cowboys would win at least 10 games before the season started. Quick aside: he always does. He’s encouraged by the play of the offensive line, running back DeMarco Murray, receiver Dez Bryant and the defense. He praises the coaching staff.

“I’m excited about the team, like everyone else in Dallas,” Staubach said. “They’ve done a lot of good things.

“It takes more than just the quarterback. When we had our good fortune when I was the quarterback, we were near the top of the league in offense and defense. It was the same thing with Troy.

“Tony is now getting the support he needs.”

Top Bottom