Machota: Tyrone Crawford - I've been a better DT than DE this season

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tyrone Crawford: I’ve been a better defensive tackle than defensive end this season

By Jon Machota

jmachota@dallasnews.com
6:23 pm on October 7, 2014 |

IRVING – Although he hasn’t recorded a sack, no Dallas Cowboy has put more pressure on opposing quarterbacks than Tyrone Crawford. His 12 QB pressures are the most on the team through five games.

And because of that, Pro Football Focus has given Crawford the highest grade among Cowboys defensive players this season.

Through the first three games, Crawford spent the majority of his time at left defensive end. During the last two weeks, he has mostly lined up at defensive tackle.

“I don’t know if I feel more comfortable, but I do feel like I’ve done a better job at the tackle position than the end,” Crawford said Tuesday. “Hopefully I can improve on it. Definitely still a lot of reads and different things I need to continue to learn, but I definitely feel like I’ve done a better job there.”

Why has the former third-round pick been better at tackle?

“Just because of the factors in the game,” he said. “I come in today and I have more factors than I had when I was an end. Just the pressure I’ve been getting and stuff like that.”

The Monday after the Cowboys’ Week 4 win against New Orleans, Crawford tweeted that playing defensive tackle made him feel like he “got hit by a transport truck” and followed with, “that DT is no joke lol.”

“No, it’s definitely not,” Crawford said Tuesday. “I feel better. Again, I’ve just been learning, learning more on how to take on blocks. The first week I was just running headfirst into different guys. I’ve learned quickly how to take on blocks better, but still a lot of learning to do. But I feel better.”

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
That's a lovely story.

But if these DL and DE's don't start getting some sacks to go along with the sporadic pressure its going to be a LOOOONNGGG season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's a lovely story.

But if these DL and DE's don't start getting some sacks to go along with the sporadic pressure its going to be a LOOOONNGGG season.
I don't have hard info, but I get the feeling many of these pressures have resulted in missed passes, which are the like 0-yardage sacks with 0-time off the clock. Missed passes can be interceptions just like sacks can cause lost fumbles.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That's a lovely story.

Sure, we'd all like to see the pressure turn in to more sacks. But there's something to be said for hurries, too. It keeps the QB from getting comfortable and keeps his eyes down looking for the pressure. Hell, they were just slobbering all over JJ Watt on NFL network last night because he leads the league with 16 QB hurries.

We all know our pressure needs to improve. But even with a collection of stiffs, they're doing a lot better than we all anticipated this past offseason. Didn't we hear that same "LOOOONNGGG season" story five games ago?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' Tyrone Crawford finding home at tackle
October, 8, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Tyrone Crawford is two games into his career as a starting defensive tackle. So far, so good.

Dallas Cowboys coaches have credited him with seven tackles, one tackle for loss, three quarterback pressures and one pass breakup in the wins against the New Orleans Saints and Houston Texans.

“I don’t know if I feel more comfortable, but I do feel like I’ve done a better job at the tackle position than at the end position, and hopefully I can improve on that,” said Crawford, who started the first three games at left defensive end. “There’s definitely still a lot of reads and things I need to continue to learn but I feel like I’ve done a better job.”

The Cowboys moved Crawford to defensive tackle after Henry Melton suffered a hamstring strain. Melton has been able to play the past two games in pass-rushing situations, but the Cowboys might continue to go with Crawford as the starter.

In the offseason the Cowboys toyed with the idea of playing Crawford at the three technique but he played mostly defensive end in the spring and training camp. He would like to add weight if he is going to play inside more often, but his quickness has brought him an edge on guards.

“Whatever I’m going to be playing I’m going to play to the best of my ability,” Crawford said.

He also has to get used to the pounding.

“It’s learning more on how to take on blocks,” Crawford said. “That first week I was just running head first into different blocks, different guys. I mean I’ve learned quickly I would say on how to take on blocks better, but it’s still a lot of learning to do. But I feel better.”

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't have hard info, but I get the feeling many of these pressures have resulted in missed passes, which are the like 0-yardage sacks with 0-time off the clock. Missed passes can be interceptions just like sacks can cause lost fumbles.
It is definitely a balance. If you tell me we can get 10 pressures or 1 sack I'm going to take the pressures. Getting a sack at the right moment can change the course of a game though

Last edited:

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Sure, we'd all like to see the pressure turn in to more sacks. But there's something to be said for hurries, too. It keeps the QB from getting comfortable and keeps his eyes down looking for the pressure. Hell, they were just slobbering all over JJ Watt on NFL network last night because he leads the league with 16 QB hurries.

We all know our pressure needs to improve. But even with a collection of stiffs, they're doing a lot better than we all anticipated this past offseason. Didn't we hear that same "LOOOONNGGG season" story five games ago?
Yep...you heard it alright. And I was the first one to say how surprised I was when the D held up like it did.

But Kapernick and Brees played well against us, with QB ratings of 125 and 100. Pressure didn't seem to bother them much.

Yeah, we won.... but it would be nice to see some QB sacks to go along with the pressure, esp with Wilson, Manning, Foles, and Luck on the schedule.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett stated in his PC that the DL harasses QBs.

I can sort of agree with that actually.

They are pesky. They do force hurries and bad throws from QBs who are far from elite.

That does not mean we have a championship type of pass rush.

Every now and again you have to get home and get that eight yard loss or make that strip sack.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That does not mean we have a championship type of pass rush.

Every now and again you have to get home and get that eight yard loss or make that strip sack.
I hate to make these types of comparisons because the Cowboys defense doesn't have any sort of a track record of being any good but the Seahawks so far this year only have 1 more sack then our defense. I don't think sacks are a good indicator of the strength of a defense or the potential of a defense.

My disclaimer of course is that our defense is not as good as the Seahawks and I'm certainly not trying to claim that. Just pointing out that their pressure right now isn't all that much different then what the Cowboys are bringing. The difference is the secondary of the Seahawks is infinitely more talented then ours.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I hate to make these types of comparisons because the Cowboys defense doesn't have any sort of a track record of being any good but the Seahawks so far this year only have 1 more sack then our defense. I don't think sacks are a good indicator of the strength of a defense or the potential of a defense.

My disclaimer of course is that our defense is not as good as the Seahawks and I'm certainly not trying to claim that. Just pointing out that their pressure right now isn't all that much different then what the Cowboys are bringing. The difference is the secondary of the Seahawks is infinitely more talented then ours.
I think the Hawks' pass rush also gets a lot more respect from OCs in terms of keeping people in to block and shortening the QB's drops. Those are hidden benefits to having great pass rushers that don't always show up in the numbers. If I was an OC facing the Dallas D I'd dial up seven step drops any time I wanted.

Top Bottom