Mendez: Lee says he'll consider it a competition for the LB spots in Cowboys camp

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sean Lee says he'll consider it a competition for the LB spots in Cowboys camp, and he plans to win one

Fourth-year Cowboys veteran Sean Lee said he’ll consider it a competition for the linebacker spots in training camp, and that he plans to win one.

“Right now, I’m in the middle, but you never know,” he said Wednesday at a charity event in Arlington. “You always have to come in there and win a spot, and that’s what I plan to do.”

Lee, the Cowboys’ best playmaking linebacker since he was drafted in 2010, is just being nice. He’s going to be the middle linebacker. And Bruce Carter is set to be the weakside linebacker. The other spot is up for grabs, however.

“The positions are similar in certain formations,” Lee said. “Just being out there, learning all the positions, is what all the linebackers need to do.”
-- Carlos Mendez

--------------

Gotta love this kid, but he has yet to figure out how the Jerry Jones Salary Scholarship works.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We may just want to sit Carter and Lee until the regular season to make sure those two don't get hurt for the games that count. No reason to think there is a competition for those two. We may have a competition on the strong side but that is about it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We may just want to sit Carter and Lee until the regular season to make sure those two don't get hurt for the games that count. No reason to think there is a competition for those two. We may have a competition on the strong side but that is about it.
I'd sit both china dolls.

But with a new scheme, you can't do that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm really psyched about the 4-3 defense, but these two we're pinning so much on have been a couple of brittle fags. How in hell does a goddamned toe take a supposed tough guy down the entire year? Even fragile-assed Deion Sanders came back from toe surgery to return a punt for a TD in the playoffs. Just watch Jerry throw 50 million to Lee while he plays exactly half the games.

The evidence has already shown the 4-3 defense is how you beat the pistol offense. It's been a mainstay for over 50 years, and every great Cowboys team has used this scheme. But we're counting three injury-prone players to be mainstays in the middle, haven't address the 1-technique's being undersized by 20 lbs, and our best player is 30 and also coming off a serious injury.

I have a feeling the 4-3 scheme is going to shoulder the blame for under-performing, injury-prone, and inadequate personnel.

But it would be even worse in a 3-4, as last year demonstrated.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm really psyched about the 4-3 defense, but these two we're pinning so much on have been a couple of brittle fags. How in hell does a goddamned toe take a supposed tough guy down the entire year? Even fragile-assed Deion Sanders came back from toe surgery to return a punt for a TD in the playoffs. Just watch Jerry throw 50 million to Lee while he plays exactly half the games.

The evidence has already shown the 4-3 defense is how you beat the pistol offense. It's been a mainstay for over 50 years, and every great Cowboys team has used this scheme. But we're counting three injury-prone players to be mainstays in the middle, haven't address the 1-technique's being undersized by 20 lbs, and our best player is 30 and also coming off a serious injury.

I have a feeling the 4-3 scheme is going to shoulder the blame for under-performing, injury-prone, and inadequate personnel.

But it would be even worse in a 3-4, as last year demonstrated.
You have to hope the scheme helps the players, we had a healthy LB corps most years running the 4-3 despite employing midgets like Coakley and Nguyen. The MLB position has been very injury prone for us ever since we switched to the 3-4.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You have to hope the scheme helps the players, we had a healthy LB corps most years running the 4-3 despite employing midgets like Coakley and Nguyen. The MLB position has been very injury prone for us ever since we switched to the 3-4.
The lynch-pin is the 1 technique. That guy has to absorb more blockers and punishment than the others. If that position is working, then the Cowboys have almost perfect starting personnel (for game 1 at least) not counting the SAM. But they are undermanned there big-time and have little depth. If Josh Brent wasn't such a fuck-up he'd have been a very good fit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The lynch-pin is the 1 technique. That guy has to absorb more blockers and punishment than the others. If that position is working, then the Cowboys have almost perfect starting personnel (for game 1 at least) not counting the SAM. But they are undermanned there big-time and have little depth. If Josh Brent wasn't such a fuck-up he'd have been a very good fit.
And our 1 technique is going to be Jason Hatcher.

Not too confident about that.

But hey, the DL is stacked and stuff.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And our 1 technique is going to be Jason Hatcher.

Not too confident about that.

But hey, the DL is stacked and stuff.
Hatcher is a question mark, but he held up well against the run in the 3-4. I think he has a chance of being effective.

Top Bottom