Watkins: Jason Hatcher hopes to return to the Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Hatcher hopes to return to the Cowboys

May, 8, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- While the main discussions on Wednesday surrounded right tackleDoug Free's status, defensive tackle Jason Hatcher talked about his own contract status.

Hatcher, who will be paid $2 million in 2013, is in the final year of his contract. No contract talks have started between the sides.

"I'm sure I want to be back," Hatcher said after winning a charity Home Run derby event at the Ballpark in Arlington. "You can't make guys want you. You got to go out and perform. Sometimes it's a numbers thing, sometimes it's a money thing. Hopefully I will be back."

The Cowboys have let some homegrown defensive linemen leave in the past from Chris Canty to Stephen Bowen.

Former first round pick Marcus Spears was tendered twice and eventually received a second contract from the Cowboys before getting released after the 2012 season. Spears signed with the Baltimore Ravens this offseason.

Hatcher has become a dependable member of the Cowboys defensive line and will change positions, moving from end to tackle, in 2013. The Cowboys had a chance to draft a defensive tackle in the NFL draft last week but declined.

"I love the state I’m in," Hatcher said. "I love the orgainzaton. I love my teammates. I'm going to go out here and play my butt off that's what they pay me to do. I'm not going to worry about a contract at all."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hmmm...let's see. White Negro. Dez Bryant. Spencer.

Back of the line, Jason.

Top Bottom